TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
hideogumperjr

Possible to merge existing TNG database into wordpress

hideogumperjr

Hi folks, I am migrating my tng site to a web hosting site and can only use one database it appears. 

I have wordpress/tng working in one site but find that this is using a database which is not up to date. My live TNG site uses an unique wordpress database and an unique tng database.

The problem I am trying to solve is to use the wordpress setup from my old server setup and my newer tng database by migrating the wordpress site to the new host and then adding tng to the website and then merge to two databases into one.

So question, is it possible to merge the tng database into the existing wordpress database?

Sorry but rereading this makes my head hurt. Too many things on my plate right now, getting my offgrid house up in the Cascade mountains on the market up, getting my 1963 Dodge Dart convertible running without overheating, and then migrating to the new host.

Thanks and Cheers!

john

theKiwi

You could use phpMyAdmin to add the TNG database into the WordPress database, but I'm not sure you need to do that?

My sites with TNG and WordPress have 2 separate databases with no known problems - some people report perhaps a small increase in speed if you have a single database, but in the context of delivering a webpage with a number of images, and blocks of text a few milliseconds saved by having a combined database is probably not at all noticeable.

Roger

hideogumperjr

Yes, on my own servers I have it setup both ways, sandbox is single wp/tng database and live is each having its own database.

Easiest would be to migrate with live site but my webhost plan only allows for one database unfortunately so I have to figure out a way to migrate two db to one, or recreate all the new stuff on the live site into my sandbox site and migrate that. Dont think I like that idea too well, @*}

theKiwi

Probably easiest to do it on your local server - that way you can keep trying until you get it right.

But one way to do it on your host perhaps is to have TNG point to the same database as WordPress is using, and then use TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> Create Tables to create the TNG tables in the WordPress database, and then restore a backup of the TNG tables into the TNG tables in the WordPress database - you could practice this on your local server too.

Roger

hideogumperjr

Excellent idea. Thanks, Id forgotten about the create tables command. 

Ill give that a try in my baby sandbox and see how that works.

Does this command only create the tables or does it also propagate the data into the tables in the database?

Thanks again.

theKiwi

The Create Tables command does exactly that - it creates the tables with the specified fields in them. The fields are specified in the TNG software. You end up with an empty database ready to have TNG data put in to it.

You can do the putting in by restoring a backup made from TNG - as long as the table names are the same in each database which they should be if you've never altered them.

Roger

hideogumperjr

I did some playing around with that exact process and it seems to have worked. Course Ill feel better after I have successfully done i a few times with no screw-ups!

Thanks for the idea, I appreciate your help.

John

theKiwi

I tried something else last night - It probably doesn't matter which way around you do this...

Using phpMyAdmin, export the TNG database to an sql file - it will download to your computer

Now go to the WordPress database and go to the operations tab

You can import that sql file into the WordPress database, and it adds all the TNG tables to the WordPress database.

Then just change TNG to point also to the WordPress (now the combined) database and you're all set

Roger