TNG Community

MySQL Upgrade Question

dlcole

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading TNG from v12.0.1 to v13.0.3 and decided to upgrade my WAMPServer Installation first.  All went ok, except after upgrading MySQL from version 5.7.19 to v8.0.3, exporting my database and then importing it to 8.0.3 and have 8.0.3 set as my default Database, TNG v12.0.1 is still using 5.7.19 as its database.  Is there something in the TNG config telling it what version of MySQL to use?  I've looked for system requirements and was thinking that TNG v12.0.1 did not support MySQL v8.0.3, is that possibly the cause or am I missing something in the TNG Configuration Settings?

Thanks for any Help,

David Cole

David,

I do not think TNG have been fully tested under MySQL 8.  You should use MySQL 5.7

Note also that not all mods may have been tested or fixed for PHP 8

Your post does not indicate what kind of error you are getting

Edited by Ken Roy
fix typos

Hi Ken,

Not getting an error, its just TNG is stating it is still using 5.7, when I have 8 set as the default in WAMP.  Upgraded based on the following from the FAQ on the TNG Web Site:

What are the system requirements for running TNG?
TNG requires the following to be present on your website:

1) PHP (a scripting language, 7.0 or higher recommended; and
2) MySQL (a database, 8.0 or higher recommended).

Not a problem, I can continue with 5.7, but figured I would upgrade to the recommended.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,
     Did you really download MySQL 8.0.3 or was it really something like 8.0.23?  MySQL 8.0.11 was the first version that was for general release, so I am hoping that you actually have that or something newer.  Yes, MySQL 8 has been out since April 19, 2018 so 3 years today.  I have been using MySQL 8 on my WAMP server with TNG for a couple of years or so now.

TNG just uses the port settings to know what SQL to connect to.  In WAMP as long as you have the MySQL database listening on 3306 and that port or no port specified in TNG, then it should be communicating with your MySQL database.  In the latest version of WAMP there are steps that need to be taken in order to get MySQL to listen on 3306 instead of 3307, since there was a swap between default databases of MySQL and MariaDB.  If you need to change the DB port in TNG, then it is just the database port setting in the general settings.

Only one version of each database (MySQL and MariaDB) can run at a time, so MySQL 5.7.19 and 8.0.3 would not both be able to run at the same time.

Brent

You are correct, it's version 8.0.23, will take a look at the port settings and see if that's the case. 

I thought that only one version could run, that's why I was really confused.  WAMP was reporting 8.0.23 was running, but TNG was saying it was using 5.7.19, maybe it's just a display issue with TNG??? 

I'll checkout the ports and see what's going on with them.

Thanks,

Brent,

Thanks for correcting statement.   WampServer did change the default 3306 port to MariaDB but only if you did a full install of WampServer 3.2.?? instead of doing the upgrade. 

I made the statement based on something that Darrin indicated that TNG did not full support INNODB as the database engine, but I am a z/OS operating system expert so I have no clue what he meant.  This was based on the changes you sent me to allocate new tables in mods using the current collation sequence and MySQL 8 defaulting to MB collation sequence.

David,

If you did a full install of the latest WampServer, I believe that WampServer defaults port 3306 to MariaDB

Install was an upgrade of the existing WAMPServer., not a new install.

I checked and MySQL is set to Port 3306, see the attached screen shot to see what I'm referring to, also the data folder for 5.7 appears to be updating (based on file dates, while the 8.0.23 data folder is not).

Thanks,

Capture.JPG

I have not tested using MySQL 8 yet.  Just now testing and fixing mods to eliminate PHP warnings in PHP 8.

My dumb question though would be what PHP version is needed to support MySQL 8

That's a good question, I had tried PHP 8.0.3 (That's were I got that version number) and I had display issues in TNG, so went back to v7.1.9, maybe that's too early a version of PHP.  I think for now I'm going to just stick with MySQL 5.7.19, and wait awhile before upgrading.  I thought I might have issues with it and TNG v13.x, but it looks like that is not going to be the case.

Thanks all for your assistance,

Dave

Dave,

You could try using PHP 7.4 since all other PHP 7 are at end of life. 

Brent will be in a better position than I to answer whether there are any issues with PHP 7.4 and MySQL 8

Upgraded PHP to 7.4.16, and no display issues in TNG, but still reporting that it was using MySQL 5.7.  Not sure why that would happen, but just going to stick with 5.7 for now, and look at moving to 8.0 in the future.

Thanks,

Dave

That is strange that it is reporting that older version of MySQL for both the server and client.
Diagnostics.png
My diagnostics screen shows the newer versions just fine.
phpMyAdmin.png
Even under phpMyAdmin it is showing the same versions, so it isn't like the two are reporting differently somehow with bad commands.  I do have MySQL 8.0.23 installed, just haven't moved the data to that version yet but can't see that it should make any difference.