TNG Community
Jean-Marie Robert

USING MULTIPLE TEMPLATES

Leif Sweden
16 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

It is the reason why you MUST design a default template (this is an old Mod so I have to refresh my memory)

If it is a lot of work, leave it. It is a nice mod for admin.

Leif

Michel KIRSCH

It's not work. It's a challenge... :-)

Michel KIRSCH

Hi Leif,

good news.

In the next version, all pages will be displayed  the same template, once the user is known.

Assuming the user is NOT an admin, he can access one tree (settings in users list)

The login process is made on the default template designed. Then the user goes to he's tree with the template designed for this tree.

Will do more tests before release...

Michel

Michel KIRSCH
On 4/25/2021 at 9:57 PM, Leif Sweden said:

If it is a lot of work, leave it. It is a nice mod for admin.

The new version 2a is now on line. https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Each_Tree_Its_Template

Each TNG page is now displayed with the desired template (except home page and connexion page BEFORE the user is connected)

Michel

Leif Sweden

Hi Michel,

I have now downloaded 2a and it is working perfect, thanks a lot for your work (challence).

I will test it a little bit more but it seems very nice.

Leif

Leif Sweden

Hi again Michel,

I have now tested 2a for a while and it works perfect, you have done a splendid work!

I have another question:
I have in Media made a lot of collections and they are all showed in the left menu (template 4). Is it possible to show just Media in left menu with an under menu (arrow) where you find att the collections when you click the arrow?

Leif

Michel KIRSCH

Hi Leif,

thanks for testing.

Your question, my answer : yes, it is certainly possible...

(Please open a new topic for your idea)

Michel

Pops57

Michel;

Thank you much for this Mod. It is quite impressive and I have incorporated it into my site. 

It is also very intriguing. While I may admittedly be thinking too far "outside the box", I see additional possibilities.

Do you think there is a way to carry this new template, specific to a tree, on to other pages? For example, User Pages; as in those based on the historytemplate.php? I am trying to customize my site some more, with a focus on other Trees or Branches.

And speaking of Branches, might it be possible to customize your Each Tree Its Template mod to work from Branches?

My apologies if I'm asking too much. Feel free to just say "Too Much" and I will understand. :)

Kind regards,

Michael

Michel KIRSCH
19 hours ago, Pops57 said:

Do you think there is a way to carry this new template, specific to a tree, on to other pages

Michael,

the template is based on the tree change. So if an history, a list, a search result, etc...  is not binded with a tree, the default template is used.

I can't do more. Sorry.

Originally, the mod was provided for the Admin, draw his attention to the fact that he is no longer on his default tree

to bind a template for all the pages, the template must better be binded with an user... But it's an another story...

For branches : too much  :-) But I note your idea...

Michel

Pops57

Michel,

Thank you for your kind reply. I understand completely. I'm just trying to test a few different approaches to achieve my goals. It  is, of course a work in progress. 

Much more to do and to try. But that's what I love about TNG (thank you Darrin!), and this community. The program is an excellent way for us to not only store and present our data, but also a way to tell our children and grandchildren about their history. In addition, it provides me an excellent way to learn and record my genealogy, and also a fun way to learn and practice new skills.

Thank you again. And thank you to the forum as well.

-Michael

Michel KIRSCH

You're welcome, Michael