TNG Community
Brenda

How to find obsolete files from prior versions

Brenda

Currently using Version 13. I've used TNG since 2001. Hence lots of upgrades over the years. I'm sure I have lots of unneeded/obsolete/unused files from prior versions. I've tried to clean out the obvious in years past, but is there a relatively painless way to find files I can safely delete? Or do I just ignore and let it be? Just don't want to have any unsecured files that could possibly be compromised.

Thanks for your time.

Brenda

brpedersen.com/genealogy

Rob Severijns

Hi Brenda,

You mean at the FTP location?

Rob

theKiwi
2 hours ago, Brenda said:

Currently using Version 13. I've used TNG since 2001. Hence lots of upgrades over the years. I'm sure I have lots of unneeded/obsolete/unused files from prior versions. I've tried to clean out the obvious in years past, but is there a relatively painless way to find files I can safely delete? Or do I just ignore and let it be? Just don't want to have any unsecured files that could possibly be compromised.

You could just ignore it all - they're not exactly taking up huge amounts of space, but...

You can look at the file "appendix.html" in the TNG folder - that gives a listing of all the files and what they're used for, but it seems to be quite out of date - it doesn't list any of the dna files which have been around for a while now.

Or you could get a full new install of the TNG version you're on, and compare the files in that to what is on your site

Or you could just ignore them

Roger

tngrlkrz

As Roger notes, it's not a space issue. I don't know what 'compromise' there would be with a few obsolete files. Unless, like me, you install and uninstall a lot of mods, test and rename files during testing, etc. it's unlikely there are many stray files and perhaps not worth worrying about.

For TNG's root folder, I periodically take these steps (with comparison software,  I use Free Commander XE, which permits FTP connections).  I do this also on my test websites, and local PC site (Laragon).

• Make sure you have a server side backup (usually in your host's panel), in case you delete some wrong files.
  • Uninstall all mods, to keep mod files out of the comparison.
  • On your PC/Mac, extract to a full install zip of the version you have installed to a folder.
  • Compare, either manually or with software, the server TNG folder to the local folder, deleting those on the server not in the local folder. But leave along any files with 'config' in them, or your subroot.php file.
  • Working with TNG subfolders is tricky, since various folders are added when you setup the site (backups, media, etc.)

Of course the surest way to have a totally fresh site is to do a full installation, but I don't think it's worth the steps, the risk or the effort involved to do that.

Brenda

Thank you all for your responses. I have tried comparing the full TNG 13 to the upgrade. I will continue with that, I guess. Or I may just leave the cruft where it is... As long as it's not causing any security issues, I suppose it's not a concern.

Thanks again.

Sincerely, Brenda