TNG Community
Paul McKnight

Issue with searching with an apostrophe in TNG 13.0.3. and Apple I-Pad 14.4.2

Paul McKnight

I've run this by Darren and we're both scratching our heads. On an Apple I-Pad version 14.4.2,  the web site is on 13.0.3. Searching from the front page, last name - O'Donnell, there are no results. We have tried with Safari and Chrome. We tried with me logging in with full Administrator rights and the I-Pad with the same results. There are 70 O'Donnells in the database. If we type in a name without an apostrophe we get the expected results. It looks like this happens with all names and places that have an apostrophe. I have verified that the keyboard is English,  QWERTY.   I have no issues with my Windows 10 desktop. Also happening with Apple I-Phone IOS 12.5.2.

Update: There is definitely an issue with Apple here. I just tested this on Ken Roy's website. Though Windows I confirmed there were 2 O'Donnells. The I-Pad results were zero. 

Edited by Paul McKnight
More info made available.

theKiwi

The iPad is entering a "smart" or "curly" apostrophe rather than a straight one.

If you go to type O'Donnel, type the O and then hold down on the ' key and it will give you some choices of left smart single quote, right smart single quote, something else, and a straight apostrophe.

It is tricky to get to though because when you type O and then press on the apostrophe key, often as not it will want to autocomplete O to Ok, rather than showing the little picker where you can choose a straight apostrophe.

Or you can go to Settings ------> General ------> Keyboard and turn off "Smart Punctuation" - that will allow the apostrophe key to type a straight apostrophe.

Roger

Paul McKnight

Bingo! That's it. Thank you!!