TNG Community
Danita

Gedcom Converter Source Citations questions

Danita

I can only use the Gedcom Converter on gedcom from the server gedcom folder.  If I try to "upload" one from my computer, I just get a "converting" message, and then this image, with no option to actual import it.

Voila_Capture 2021-04-08_01-37-45_PM.png

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  This is on a brand new installation using 13.0.3 and the latest Gedcom Converter mod, downloaded today.

Thanks!

Danita

Robin Richmond

I suspect that your Gedcom file is too big to be uploaded that way.  I would expect the Gedcom Converter and the Import process to have the same problem. Please let me know how big your Gedcom file is and whether you can Import a Gedcom file of that size.  I'll try to check out that relationship independently, and maybe add a warning about file size.

Now - I realize that TNG has been changed to accommodate many of the conversations that were originally necessary to allow TNG to handle FTM Gedcoms, and that the Gedcom Converter now does a lot of things that are not essential.  So I'd appreciate your letting me know if the Gedcom Converter does things that you need, or if you need custom conversions. As I think about it, in another conversation, you mentioned that you were converting the citation _LINK tag to a NOTE.  I actually thought that the link tag was being imported, but I now realize that there is no field to put it in, so I plan to add that specific conversion to the Gedcom Converter. 

- Robin

Danita

I can upload the gedcom with no difficulties directly - it's not that big - 865k - about 870 people interestingly enough (less than 1k per person!).

I actually looked at gedcom converter due to my other "issue" which now I realize wasn't even an issue at all.  But I wanted to report the problem even if I might not need the mod after all!

The only thing I think I would need the converter to do would possibly be search and replace of the _LINK to NOTE.  I've just been running that quickly through BBEDit to do before uploading.

Thanks!

Danita

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.