TNG Community
TGLE

Repeated Nicknames

TGLE

I have TNG 13.03 and MOD Show Nicknames V 13.0.0.0 and find that nicknames put in double quotes are repeated on my website.  My desktop app to created gedcom is latest version of Legacy 9 and I do not use its alternate name option.  Can anyone help me get it to show nicknames just the once?

Cheers,

John Antill

TGLE

I have since checked the gedcom file which shows nicknames just the once, so it is something going on during import?

Cheers,

John

TGLE

Thanks Chris, but this is all too complicated for me.  My Legacy database is over 360MB, the gedcom produced by it is 180 MB and crashes Notepad.  A Gedcom viewer app shows the nickname in " " just once. Web site shows as per attached image.  I have checked the advice in Nicknames and the NICK tag - GEDCOMs and Software - TNG Community and can confirm that Nick is not excluded from gedcom export.  I also follow advice: 

Legacy Family Tree[edit | edit source]

Exporting GEDCOMs[edit | edit source]

When exporting a GEDCOM from Legacy, if you do not use the UTF-8 character set, you will need to change the character set from ANSEL to ANSI (this default is rumored to be due to change in a future Legacy update). If you use the UTF-8 character set, you will need to select UTF-8 as the character set.

Best practice is to export file for Legacy rather than GEDCOM 5.5.1 or other setting. This will allow you to check the boxes for "Convert formatting codes to HTML style" and "Make space strings in note fields web friendly". Both of these boxes should be checked to avoid some formatting errors that come through in TNG.

Note that if you check the latter box for "making space strings web friendly" you may not be pleased with the appearance of notes or anything within html.

Repeated Nicknames.jpg

theKiwi

Take a look in the TNG Admin ------> Custom Events and see if the Nickname is showing up there as a Custom Event.

If it is, set it to Ignore

Does that change the display that is on the person page?

Roger

TGLE

Roger,

Thanks.  Sorry but no such custom event.

Cheers,

John

Brett

John

If you look in the GEDCOM file, you will see that Legacy has included the Nickname as part of the individual's name, as well as recording a Nick tag.

0 @I138@ INDI
1 NAME Henry Richard "Dick" /BROWN/
2 GIVN Henry Richard "Dick"
2 SURN BROWN
2 NICK Dick

You can see the result in the example you provided above, with the Nickname in "" within the Name row.

I don't use Legacy so am unsure the reason behind this, but this would be why the duplicate.

TGLE

Thanks Brett.

Legacy has no helpful Help on this, so I tried trial and error.

What appears to work now is using TNG Show Nicknames MOD.

In Given names in Legacy add nicknames between double quotation marks eg "Dick" and create Gedcom in Legacy using the Desktop Gotchas advice but in customise gedcom remove Nick (or Nickname) from the Export these Items list - see image below.  Cheers John

Gedcom customise.jpg

bhemph

Since the nicknames are listed in quotes in the name field already, you don't need the show nicknames mod.  That is what the show nicknames mod does for users who don't have it already as part of the name and would be the source of your nickname duplication.

Brett
19 hours ago, bhemph said:

you don't need the show nicknames mod

John

As Brent said, you should not use the show nicknames mod.

I installed Legacy and provide the following re Nicknames.

While Legacy has an Also Known As field, it does not have a Nickname field. Legacy uses the double quote " " within the name field to show Nicknames eg Henry Richard "Dick" BROWN .

If you export to GEDCOM there are 2 options, 1 to include NICK tag and one to exclude it. In both situations, the "nickname" is still within the NAME tag.

If you use the do not include NICK option, Nickname does not import to TNG as a field so it does not show as a row on the individual page.

If you use the include NICK option, Nickname imports to TNG as a field so it shows as a row on the individual page.

In both situations, the "nickname" shows in the Name row.

If you also use the show nickname Mod, you will see a duplicate "nickname", one from Legacy keeping it in the Name Tag and TNG adding it from the imported NICK field.

If you want to display the Nickname row in TNG, export the NICK tag as above. If you do not want to display the Nickname row, choose to not export it from Legacy.

In either cases there is no need to use the show nicknames mod.