TNG Community
SarahBeth

Possible to remove child/parent relationship from individual page?

SarahBeth

I'm on Template 12 (though I don't think that will matter for this question) and am wondering if it's possible to remove the child/parent relationship that shows on the Individual pages. Photo attached shows children listed on the father's individual page, and you can see they have "[natural]" after them. That is the bit I'd like to remove. Thanks!

image.png

Brett
10 hours ago, SarahBeth said:

if it's possible to remove the child/parent relationship that shows on the Individual pages

Sarah

Do you import your data from a GEDCOM file or have you been adding directly within TNG?

SarahBeth
2 hours ago, Brett said:

Sarah

Do you import your data from a GEDCOM file or have you been adding directly within TNG?

Hi! Yes, I import a GEDCOM from Family Tree Maker. Don't tell me . . . another FTM code? Just kidding. :) It seems like FTM puts in a TON of codes.

bhemph

Sarah,
     Can you post what a family record looks like in your GEDCOM?  I am looking specifically for the 1 CHIL and then the 2 _FREL and 2 _MREL to see if it reads what I think it does.

Brent

SarahBeth

Hi! Here's a snip of what it looks like. I don't seem to have any "2_MREL" in the GEDCOM at all. If you need to see anything else, please let me know.

image.png

bhemph

Sarah,
     I sent you a pm with the piece of my personal import mod to do what you are looking for.  Those particular families look like they only have a father and no mother with the HUSB and no WIFE, so that would explain why they do not have the _MREL and only have the _FREL.

Brent

SarahBeth

Thanks! Almost all of the families in my tree have a father and mother listed, but for some reason, I wasn't getting the _mrel code to show up. I've finally found some in there! Here they are:

image.png

Brett
11 hours ago, bhemph said:

to do what you are looking for.

Brent/Sarah

Re the import Mod.

Brent: Does it change the value Natural to a blank? Does it change any other values?

Sarah: Do you want to change the value Natural to a blank or are you wishing to just not display Natural on the individual page? Do you use other values in the field in FTM?

SarahBeth

Hi!

I'm happy with the idea of just removing the display on the pages. I don't tend to mess with that field in FTM, which is why I had not worried about how it would display, so I'm not sure that I really have other values used. Would it help if I were to post a list of the values possible?

Thanks! 

bhemph

Brett,
     On import it just changes Natural to a blank.  Since blank is treated the same as birth without displaying the status, it made the most sense to me.  It does leave Adopted, Step, Foster, Private, Unknown, and Family Member relationships alone.  So if those are set anywhere, they will still display as TNG is set up to do.  I rarely change the relationship and so have very few of the Adopted, Foster, or Step relationships.  Having those few show when they do exist, I find much less of a clutter problem than showing Birth or Natural all the time.  Natural also threw off relationship calculations in a mod if I remember correctly, but blank did work.  For most Step relationships, it makes the most sense to me to have the other spouse or partner listed and have the children under that relationship.  Unknown seems to only exist in TNG for father relationships where I only have the mother, so that doesn't show up in TNG for me.

Brent

Robin Richmond

Sorry I didn't get here earlier. The specific purpose of the Regroup Person-Child2Parent is to remove selected Child/Parent relationships from the Person Profile.  That is, you can tell it to remove "natural" and "birth", and it will continue to display "adopted", "foster", etc.