TNG Community
SarahBeth

Template 12: Is it possible to put a header banner on individual pages?

SarahBeth

Hi! I'm using Template 12, and I'm wondering if it's possible to put a header banner on some of the individual pages. This is what it looks like right now:

image.png

I'd like to be able to put a banner like this in that empty parchment area to the right of the default photo and name/dates.

Capt%20John%20Eliot%20Banner.jpg

Is there a way to do this? Thanks so much!

tngrlkrz

You really want a second banner on some pages? You already have a header banner.

image.png

That space you refer to might be used in the future if you install some of the mods that put data there.  I am not saying it cannot be done, but that area is part of the core TNG start of data on user pages and as far as I know, templates usually leave it along.

SarahBeth

Yes, I am wanting to put in a banner for certain individuals on their individual pages. Thanks!

SarahBeth

Just bumping this request in hopes that someone may know of a way I could do this. I've almost got all my notes and facts cleaned up and plan on working on media. I'd really love to be able to add banners to some of the individual pages. Thanks!

theKiwi

What do you  mean by a banner - and where on the page?

The difficulty though is you say "some of the individual pages" - that would be very difficult since TNG is built in a templating system where the page for each person is essentially identical, except for the information relevant to each person - so their personal details, and then whether or not they have any media or notes. The Header and footer are the same for each person too, so making something appear on "some" pages as a banner would be difficult - how to tell which people to show it on?

You could make the banner a media item for the people concerned, but then it wouldn't appear at the top of the page, but rather in with the media.

Roger

tngrlkrz
47 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

where on the page?

Roger, In her first post, which didn't show the template header, she indicates the space to right of the header name and birth-death, vertically between the 'tube' and inner menu, which I noted is a difficult area to tamper with, since used by numerous mods, and  not by any templates.

SarahBeth

Thanks for the answers!

Yes, I was hoping to be able to make individual banners to put on the individual pages to the right of the default photo thumbnail -- here:

image.png

I'm eliminating some personal pages on my main website in favour of the TNG pages, and many of them have individual banners already which would have been nice to use on the TNG pages:

image.png

I do understand about that being too difficult an area to customize, though. Is there a TNG theme that would have this capability, or is it just too much with the whole set up?

theKiwi
4 hours ago, SarahBeth said:

I do understand about that being too difficult an area to customize, though. Is there a TNG theme that would have this capability, or is it just too much with the whole set up?

As I noted earlier, it's a problem with putting something there that may or may not appear depending on the individual, and that is different for each individual that it does show for.

If you want it to be an image, you could probably put something into that space, but in my quick thinking about it, it would need to be a media item probably, with items from a different folder/collection than all the others that TNG uses, but it would have to be suppressed from appearing in the regular media section of someone's page.

Or it could be a block of text, but again you'd have to create something that was to appear there that wouldn't appear in anything else TNG does with making things appear on a person's page somewhere.

Roger

Ken Roy

The easiest solution might be to create individual history pages for those individuals See Histories - Creating  for the various ways to create history pages in TNG