TNG Community

Living people missing from index search - but not from parents list of children

brummie23

Hi, I have a strange situation where living people are missing from the search index, but can be found elsewhere on my tree.

my tree is -  falvey.id.au

If I search for myself on the main page under search Matthew Falvey it comes up with no results found.

If I go back to the main page under the photo is a tab with my name and when I click on it, it opens up a chart with me and my photo on it and when I click on it, it takes me to my bio page. 

If I search for my dad Thomas Falvey on the main page and select no 16 Thomas Joseph (Tom) from the find list is shows me on his bio page and if I click on myself I go to my bio page. (One thing that is common to both search methods is that on my bio page under Notes - "At least on living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld.)

I have don't the same with many living people and the only way I can locate them is to know the name of their deceased parent, search for that person and then locate the living person as a child on that bio page and then open up their page!  

I use Reunion as my database. None of myself, my wife, my children or my parents have any flags against their names. When I export a Gedcom my settings include "Use Privacy Filtering" & "Exclude Sensitive Data" My Privacy Filtering in Reunion is set to "who is private" - "People with this flag checked Private" and "Marked people" I have no marked people.

In my Privacy Settings on my TNG website I have, Show Living Data - Never. Show Names for Living - Yes, Show Names for Private - No.

When I first noticed that names for living people were not showing up in the name search index, I had a look at the TNG Privacy settings and altered the Show living Data to "Always" and looked to see if this would solve the problem, well the people did appear but so did all of their bio information. Which obviously I don't wish to show, I only want the name and any photo's to show.

I am using 13.0.2.

Any ideas as to how to resolve the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt.

It is best to not use any filtering in Reunion when you export the GEDCOM file - export it with everybody's data in the file.

Then TNG can figure out who is living and who isn't and show/hide their details appropriately.

If you want TNG to show just the name, then set that in TNG's privacy settings

image.png

See if that fixes your situation

Roger

Hi Roger,

Okay, I changed Reunion GEDCOM export options to: 

Unticked - Use privacy filtering,

Ticked - Exclude sensitive data (as TNG doesn't have any covering for this as far as I can see) 

Ticked - Include media links

Ticked - Include sources

I went to TNG and in Privacy altered the setting to:

Show Living Data - Never

Show Names for Living - Yes

Show Names for Private - No

It didn't solve the problem only created one more. So I still couldn't find the living e.g. myself, but now the people who were private were viewable. 

I have since had to go back and Tick the Use Privacy Filtering on Reunion and export another GEDCOM to ensure that those private people still remain private, It seems as if TNG did not pick up the instruction to not show names for Private. In Reunion Preferences under Privacy & Sensitivity > Privacy > "Who is private", I have Ticked - People with this flag checked : Private, What to do with the private people: Name - Omit, additional text : (Confidential) (All other data will be excluded.), so Reunion is aware of the Privacy setting before the Export, just seems that TNG is not acting on it?  (I have left the TNG Privacy settings the same.)

It is strange as I only noticed this loss of names in the index happening after upgrading to v13.

Do you have any other ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks

Matt.

I don't think there's any mechanism to transfer Reunion's "Private" to TNG's private?

When you ask Reunion to make something Private, it asks you who to make Private and what to do with them. This settings

image.png

results in this in the GEDCOM file for me

0 @I1@ INDI
1 NAME R. D. (Living) /Moffat/
1 SEX M
1 FAMS @F8852@

There is nothing there for TNG to know to make this information Private - Reunion has done what you asked it to do, but TNG isn't getting the information it needs.

With these settings

image.png

I get 

0 @I1@ INDI
1 NAME R. D. (Living) /Moffat/
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1955
1 FAMS @F8852@

which has included enough for TNG to now know that I'm Living (a birth date less than 100 years ago and no death date), but still nothing to tell TNG that you consider this "Private".

If I understand what you're wanting to do, you're going to have to use TNG to set Living and Private as appropriate, and then use the Restore Living and Restore Private Mods to be able to reimplement those settings after each import.

Roger

Hi Roger, I think we have lost sight of the real problem here. 

The people that are missing from the index e.g. myself are not private and it is those that I want TNG to show.

I haven't instructed Reunion nor TNG not to show them. 

Surely if I appear on any chart I should also appear on an index?

This seems to indicate that some part of TNG is not speaking to another part of TNG.

I don't have a problem with the Privacy that is working fine and as I expect it. 

But I do think something is wrong with TNG. Particularly if I have to have to tell Michael (Mick) Riordan that the only way he can find himself on my family tree is to search for his dad Patrick (Paddy) Riordan, then when Paddy's bio page opens scroll down to Children and there he (Mick) is number 5, click on himself and he appears, with his biography hidden as I have instructed it to be, his photo's on show as I have instructed them to be and his wife and all of his family listed.   

A search for his wife or any of his children comes back with nothing, even though you can see them there in front of you and you can click go to their respective bio pages. 

So it appears the information is being transferred properly by the GEDCOM, because it is all there on each living persons bio page, the problem is getting to it.

Thanks

Matt.

You'll have to write to Darrin about this - it seems like when you say someone is Living, but to show their name, that isn't enough to get their name searchable, because the search only cares to show people who aren't living - so the whole Living thing would need a tweak to allow a search for names to succeed if you've chosen to show the names.

Roger

Hi Roger, just an update.

I contacted Darrin and the problem was not in TNG it was a user error, mine!

Basically my misunderstanding of one of TNG's Privacy options - Show Living Data.

I had ticked that "Never". Because I didn't want the DOB, DOM details etc of living people to show.

But having it set to Never caused the search to "Never" find living individuals. Darrin changed it to "Depending on user rights" and now the living show up.

Once again thanks for all of your help.

Matt.