TNG Community

Geocoding

NicoM

Hello, 

in the Administration section I have told TNG to geocode all new places. It is not done. Why?

When importing a gedcome file without geocodes, the geocoding is NOT done automatically.. Why?

When looking under „P,aces“, I can find all locations without geocodes. If I select a person associated with one of these locations, the location map is displayed together with its geocodes. Here too, the geocodes are NOT saved automatically. Why?

What does „Geocode all new places“ means in reality?

Thanks for your help

Nico

ps I use the Google API which works fine ... normally

Michel KIRSCH
4 hours ago, NicoM said:

What does „Geocode all new places“ means in reality?

Hi Nico,

it means ... "Geocode all new places" :-)   All new places that you encode directly into TNG.

To geocode the places already encoded, go to Administration >> Places then click the "Geocode" Tab.

Read the help file (link just beyond the "Search" Tab)

Michel

Edited by Michel KIRSCH

Nico,

I do not think it means geocode all places that are not geocoded as part of the import

6 hours ago, NicoM said:

When importing a gedcome file without geocodes, the geocoding is NOT done automatically.. Why?

I think your have to go to TNG Admin >  Places to cause the Geocode to take place as Michel indicated in his post above.

Merci Michel pour ta proposition d‘aller voir sous „AiDE“ où j‘apprends exactement le contraire de ce que tu dis, à savoir:

Géocoder tous les nouveaux lieux

Si cette option est définie sur «Oui», tous les nouveaux lieux saisis dans Admin / Personnes et Admin / Familles seront automatiquement géocodés (en supposant une connexion Internet.“

Cet automatisme n‘existe pas.

——————————————————

Thank you Ken, 

I think that, if you are right, the HELP section for this point is wrong, because it promisses what is not done. An automatic gecoding for new places does not exist.

Michel KIRSCH
13 hours ago, NicoM said:

Cet automatisme n‘existe pas

Nico,

When you edit a person and enter, by example, a birth place, AND this place is not yet know by TNG, AND the option "automatic geocode" is set on "Yes" AND you have typed a known place, this place will be automatically geocoded.

When adding or Editing an existing place, the geocoding is semi -automatic because you have to found the place on the Map.

When importing places without geocoding data, these places are NOT automatically geocoded and you have to go to the menu "Admin>>places>>Geocode" to geocode them automatically. Don't try to geocode 1000 places in one run, because you certainly not have a feed-back on the progress of the task.

Hope this help to understand...

Michel

Thank you Michel for your patience and the explanations. Now I understand better what is meant. Perhaps the help text on this point should be formulated more clearly.

Greetings from Trier

Nico