TNG Community
Synthia

Media not connected, tons of duplicates

Synthia

I am not proficient with programming or any kind of software codes or writing or anything. I bought TNG, took me a year or so to get it up and running, because of my limited technology skills, and now it is up.

Question 1.. I used a Host, Simple Host, who said they would do everything, Sure Support is their support group. None of my media are connected to the people they are supposed to be connected to, no photos or media of any kind are showing up at all. The little icons are there as though the media is there, next to their names on an edit panel, but no matter what I do nothing appears for them.  Even when I upload photos directly while editing a person, I get a blank screen then several error messages, but then, later, when I go back in, the media is there and connected...What cause it to do that? 

I see there is a ton of media when I look at the admin view, but nothing shows up for any person at any time. I put in a support ticket and Sure Support said they didn't know anything about that, it was a problem between me and the software. Uh oh.

Can anyone help someone who is rather technologically challenged figure out what went wrong and how to fix it? (hopefully that does not involve uploading media too each individual ....there are over 20,000 in my tree...well, 40,000, but half those are doubles, from an uploaded GEDCOM that I THOUGHT would replace AND add to the existing population of the tree.  

Question 2, any suggestions on how to upload new people, lots of new people, every day. I enter them in Ancestry first, then I create a GECOM and upload, clicking replace matches, and it still adds duplicates instead of replacing matches    ....it is the exact same Gedcom, every day, just 20 or so new people, ....it duplicates everyone, even though I set it to replace matches....any hope?

Thanks,

Synthia 

Edited by Synthia
spelling and clarity

KevyNC

Hi Synthia,

First I would look at your GEDCOM with Notepad++ (or similar) to view (do not change anything) to make sure you GEDCOM has the media path/file names in the file. 

If your GEDCOM appears to have many paths/file names. Then you may need to adjust the paths so TNG extracts the file name at time of import.  Where did you get the GEDCOM from? Was the GEDCOM exported with the medialinks option checked?  When you imported to TNG did you select import  MEDIA?  once we know the answer to these questions we can better assist you.

Kevin

Synthia

Thank you so much. The gedcom comes from Ancestry. I have never done anything other than click to generate and then download the gedcom, left it in zip file, and sent it to the host support for installation, as they had promised to do. I have seen that question about " medialinks option checked?"  in forums before, yet I have never been asked that question by Ancestry. I did not install the first gedcom, so I do not know if they checked import media also, but I know the media is there, just not connected. 

I have subsequently uploaded the same gedcom, after adding dozens of folks to it, and clicked replace matches, and clicked upload media, and it duplicated everything, didn't replace matches, and still does not have the media connected to the people. I will check my gedcom in notepad and try to look for what you described about the paths. I am very grateful, Synthia

Synthia

This is a snip from my gedcom in Notepad, it looks like the media is located in Ancestry....should I use a program like Roots magic, which shares from Ancestry and try to export the gedcom and media there? Is this common for Ancestry? 

image.png

theKiwi
44 minutes ago, Synthia said:

This is a snip from my gedcom in Notepad, it looks like the media is located in Ancestry....should I use a program like Roots magic, which shares from Ancestry and try to export the gedcom and media there? Is this common for Ancestry?

This is how GEDCOM files from Ancestry work.

To get the images down to your computer you would need to buy and install Family Tree Maker and link that to your Ancestry tree. That will then download the images to your computer and create the type of link to the image file on your computer that TNG is expecting to see.

Then export the GEDCOM file from Family Tree Maker to import into your TNG

Roger

Synthia

Well, I don't have Family Tree Maker but I think the latest version of Roots Magic does the same and I have that. So, I guess what I need to do is stop finetuning the TNG tree now, delete the gedcoms, make sure my Roots Magic and Ancestry Tree share is updated, including the media files (i have seen them in the Roots Magic folders) and start over, generate the gedcom from Roots magic, add media, upload to TNG tree, click add media, and go from there. Thank you. Great answer!  Problem number one is solved. 

Problem # 2...I use Ancestry daily and add ten to twenty people a day that I want in my online TNG tree. I am thinking using your suggestion with Roots magic might help in that area, too, maybe creating uploads for me that do not duplicate anything. I will work with it a bit. Thank you very much. I am not sure how to mark this "solved" but I would like to, and work on it for a few days and update if needed. Thanks TONS!

KevyNC
On 3/7/2021 at 8:51 PM, Synthia said:

Well, I don't have Family Tree Maker but I think the latest version of Roots Magic does the same and I have that.

I had been using FTM for about 17 years, and now have switched to RootMagic.  FTM is still a good program, however I have found RM to be a better program for more serious Genealogy work.   FTM will generally work better if you like working in FTM syncing, and then working on Ancestry and the syncing.  The cavaet I have found in the at there are too many things that an go wrong and failed syncs can be challenging to recover from which is what prompted me to switch to RM. After using RM for a week, I learned it was better as  facts/citations/sources.(at least for me).  

Synthia

Thanks, I am investing a LOT of time to perfect Roots Magic and then upload it to TNG, so I am getting to know it pretty well, and like it. Thanks for your insights!

Robin Richmond

Just FWIW. as much as I dislike FTM for its lack of a query tool (for either search or update), I tried RootsMagic for a while, and liked it even less. To each his own.

But I should point you to a lengthy discussion (with detailed examples) about the invalid Gedcom records that RM generates when cemeteries/hospital/addresses are added to a placename.  At this point, I'm planning to modify the Gedcom Converter to cemeteries/hospitals/etc and related geocoordinate from bogus ADDR records to the PLAC record.  I may also modify the Gedcom Import process to import RM place notes into, well, TNG Place notes.

- Robin