TNG Community

Revert to media-4_tooltip mod

mahesh

Upgrading to TNG V13, on my local server, I initiated upgrade_convert_image_maps. A quick look at an image showed that tag had been preserved. So I did the same when I upgraded my live site. I did not apreciate that this utility only tags individuals in database.

I have thirty (ish) images which has individuals tagged who are not in database. I would like to preserve this.

Can I revert back to Media Tooltip mod by Ken Roy? I still have a copy V12 database with Map details in media table.

Thanks in advance.

59 minutes ago, mahesh said:

have thirty (ish) images which has individuals tagged who are not in database. I would like to preserve this.

Can I revert back to Media Tooltip mod by Ken Roy? I still have a copy V12 database with Map details in media table.

Sorry Mahesh,

but Image maps are not supported by my mod for the Photos collection in TNG V13.

You need to request that Darrin implement the capability to create Image Tags for persons who are not in the database, but that might not be possible based on the TNG implementation of Image Tags

My Media Tooltip mod in TNG v13 can be used to convert the image maps to images tags only for photos and leave the image maps for other collections alone. It is no longer possible to create image maps in Admin > Media although you can update the image map textarea  You now need a different tool to define the image map coordinates

Thank you Ken, for such complete explanation.

5 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Sorry Mahesh,

but Image maps are not supported by my mod for the Photos collection in TNG V13.

You need to request that Darrin implement the capability to create Image Tags for persons who are not in the database, but that might not be possible based on the TNG implementation of Image Tags

Back in July , last year when I asked Darrin about this utility, in Facebook, I did not appreciate it's impact on Image Tags for persons who are not in the database.

I will now request if he would consider this option.

Darrin, I think you have answered this but I will ask, again, anyway. What will be the effect on images using Dynamic Drive Cool DHTML Tooltip?
Admin

Those should be ok, as long as you don't add any tags using the new style on that page. Those have to float in a transparent div above the image, so if new tags exist, the old image map (and the tool tips) won't be accessible. If no new tags exist, that div will be turned off, which should allow the old map to still function.

Having issues in posting. Keep getting blocked.

I will try this.

22 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

My Media Tooltip mod in TNG v13 can be used to convert the image maps to images tags only for photos and leave the image maps for other collections alone. It is no longer possible to create image maps in Admin > Media although you can update the image map textarea  You now need a different tool to define the image map coordinates

Ken, yesterday, I kept on getting blocked because the system did not like some of content in my post.

So I try again.

Is it possible for me to restore tags using Media Tooltip of the the current photos? I have the image maps in a backup of database. If you yes, I would really appreciate an idiot's guide so that I do not lose any tags - person who helped is not around anymore.

Thank you.

30 minutes ago, mahesh said:

Is it possible for me to restore tags using Media Tooltip of the the current photos? I have the image maps in a backup of database. If you yes, I would really appreciate an idiot's guide so that I do not lose any tags - person who helped is not around anymore.

If you are asking whether you can undo the image maps conversion to image tags, the answer is not really.    While you could restore the media records, my Media Tooltip mod will not display the image maps for photos.

5 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

If you are asking whether you can undo the image maps conversion to image tags, the answer is not really.    While you could restore the media records, my Media Tooltip mod will not display the image maps for photos.

That's a shame. In his Facebook post, Darrin had said,
If you want to keep your old image maps, you won't have to do anything.

Sadly, I have converted, without thinking. So if I understand you correctly, I can not restore old image maps of existing photos.

9 minutes ago, mahesh said:

That's a shame. In his Facebook post, Darrin had said,
If you want to keep your old image maps, you won't have to do anything.

That might be true as far as TNG is concerned.   What is not true is that the Media Tooltip will not display the image maps for photos.  Whether TNG ever displayed names of persons in photos who are not in the database, I do not know.  I know that you had to manually create the names even with my previous version of the mod.

I no longer use Facebook and have no intention of using it.

8 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

That might be true as far as TNG is concerned.   What is not true is that the Media Tooltip will not display the image maps for photos.  Whether TNG ever displayed names of persons in photos who are not in the database, I do not know.  I know that you had to manually create the names even with my previous version of the mod.

Thanks Ken. Really appreciate your help.

11 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

I am coming to that conclusion as well. Plus point is Darrin uses it and responds to Q's. Let's see what he suggests.

4 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Just to add, I have few photos, similar to this one. Using your tool tip mod, I could add people not in database.
In the photo, names, already in family tree, are shown in Green.

Lost this. Sigh............

FYI: In your WIKI article, the link to Mapedit  is now does not exist.

All the best, Ken.

I found a download for MapEdit on https://mapedit.en.softonic.com/  However, if the original developer is no longer around that will be an issue in the future if not already.  I had offered all my media mods to Darrin when he incorporated the Body Text mod into TNG v10.  Maybe I did not explain well enough what the Media Tooltip mod did or allowed and it was only perceived as a replacement for the browser tooltips.

Darrin allowed the image map textarea to continue to exist and be up updated in TNG 13, but my mod no longer supports using image maps on photo collections and I only use it on census images, my military service ribbons, and historical maps to display information that is manually added in the textarea

Unfortunately, I am not a javascript or jQuery programmer.  I was an IBM assember programmer so I chose not to attempt to provide the capability to continue to create image maps within TNG.  If I find a different tool to create the image maps externally, I will update the wiki article. 

You would still need to figure out how to get the tooltips to work on photo collections.

Mahesh,

If you have not converted your image maps to image tags, or if you have a copy of your TNG 12 database online that you can access with phpMyAdmin you could do the following and get your previous names displayed by the Media Tooltip:

1. Create a new media collection for your group photos something like Group Photos
  2. Click the Make Folder button while creating the new collection to create the folder (I used groups while testing this approach)
  3. Search your photos collection
  4. Select your photos that are group photos for which you used my previous Media-4 Tooltip mod to display person names who are not in the database
  5. Select the new Group Photos collection in the Convert Selected To pull down selection (you might need to reload the Admin > Media screen to see the new collection after you added it)
  6. Click the Convert Selected To button
  7. Search for you new group collection
  8. If the image maps do not display in the HTML Image Map (for backward compatibility), then copy them from you phpMyAdmin screen for that mediaID and paste them in
  9. If you already converted the image maps to Image Tags, you can in the Image Tags section of the admin_editmedia.php screen click on each image tag and delete the image tags
  10. Click the Save+Exit button
  11. Select the View button (3rd button) to view the changes.  The Media Tooltip should now display the names like it did previously

Hopefully that gives you what you want until we can convince Darrin that he needs to allow us to create Image Tags for persons not in the data in a future upgrade

Ken,

I was having problem getting my head around the explation, above,  so I have just installed a fresh copy of V12 and upgraded to V13 on my local server. I have not converted image maps on this install. Now I understand the problem.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will try that and post here.

Mahesh,

Let me know if my procedure above works, I will document it with screen captures on the TNG wiki.

I think it does since I tested it on a TNG 13 sandbox before posting it.  Screen captures will certainly help if you are not using English for you admin screens

7 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Mahesh,

Let me know if my procedure above works, I will document it with screen captures on the TNG wiki.

I think it does since I tested it on a TNG 13 sandbox before posting it.  Screen captures will certainly help if you are not using English for you admin screens

Not sure what went wrong, Ken.

I can not access the media or its thumbnails. Database shows correct values, with only change in mediatypeID to group.

tooltip.jpg

In Database, mediaID=291 is converted and mediaID=56 is original

tooltip2.jpg

I can display the image by changing Collection from Group Photos  to Photos in Media>>Edit Media.

There are no files in the collection foder I created.

I do not get names - display when I hover over the image.

I get Hand-hyperlink indiication when I hover over person in database.

In mod Manager I have  media_tooltip_v13.0.0.4.cfg

I am sure I am doing someything wrong.😞

Did you do step 5 and 6 to convert the selected photo to the new group collection which should also have moved the image files to the new folder you created for group

The Media Tooltip mod will only display image maps for collections other than photos

6 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Did you do step 5 and 6 to convert the selected photo to the new group collection which should also have moved the image files to the new folder you created for group

The Media Tooltip mod will only display image maps for collections other than photos

I did step 5 and 6.

It changed mediatypeID to the group collection name,

It did not move the image file or change mediakey. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

tooltip2.jpg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, mahesh said:

It did not move the image file or change mediakey. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Not sure.  The media moved on my sandbox when I tested the procedure before posting it.

However, now when I tried to convert the same group photo on my production site, the media did not move.  I did not check the Change Log for TNG 13.0.3 to see if that was an issue what was fixed.   Photo is no longer in the photos folder and not in the destination folder.

No entry in the Admin Log, nor any error in the Prolog for the php error log.  I was going to move the photo manually but have no clue where it is.  May have to FTP it from my laptop

I think "Convert selected only" seems to work if the images are in photos directory. I did a test image in root of photo directory and that worked.

Now I can display the images, by manually moving the images to the new media collection and editing the path in media table
Amended  media table:

mediakey == photos/image.jpg
path == image.jpg

thumbpath == thumb_image.jpg

Unfortunately, I am not seeing  names on images.

Oops. I thought I had posted this, while back.

Let me do some more tests and report back tomorrow

The Convert Selected To is supposed to move the media files.  It did on my sandbox but not on my production site.  Sandbox is at TNG 13.0.3 but production site is only at TNG 13.0.2  I will have to check the Change Log for TNG v13.0.3 to see if there was a fix.  I had to manually copy and paste the group photo and thumbnail from my sandbox.

Still investigating.  It should have worked on my production site since it worked on my sandbox.

1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

The Convert Selected To is supposed to move the media files.  It did on my sandbox but not on my production site.  Sandbox is at TNG 13.0.3 but production site is only at TNG 13.0.2  I will have to check the Change Log for TNG v13.0.3 to see if there was a fix.  I had to manually copy and paste the group photo and thumbnail from my sandbox.

Still investigating.  It should have worked on my production site since it worked on my sandbox.

I am on 13.0.2

15 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

14 hours ago, mahesh said:

I am on 13.0.2

Ken, it works.

First problem was that the images are in sub directory of photos. I think my WAMP server got confused when it could not find the files.

Here's what I have done ( virtually similar to your instructions.)

1 - move / copy image to to root of photo folder.

2 - Edit path and thumbpath in media table to remove sub directory. So path = image.jpg and thumbpath = thumb_imahe.jpg. Do not change mediakey

3 - Follow your instructions to Convert the Collection.

I confirm that I can change the media map, if required, after the Convert process.

Thank you Ken. I really appreciate you taking time to guide me through the work-around.

Thanks Mahesh,

When I create the TNG Wiki article, I will add a couple of steps to procedure

• make sure you have a good backup of the database media table
  • make sure you have a backup of the photo files

On my production system the Convert Selected To did not appear to have saved the group photo file in the new folder but deleted it from the photos folder. 

I have an instance of V13 .0.2 which has been converted.

I will try to convert this, this afternoon and if that works, I will haave a go at converting my live (production ) site.

I will let you know, how I get on.🤓