TNG Community

History template

mcmacey

Hi hope this is the right category tops this question.

I have added my text to a copy of the history template, following Darrin's user guide and pretty clear instructions. However

1. The display requires an extra step of 'view this item'. Can I get round this?

2. Secondly, my title doesn't seem to display. Am I missing something in the coding?

Screenshots attached. Thanks in anticipation.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 14.31.55.png

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 14.33.46.png

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 14.40.52.png

3 hours ago, mcmacey said:

1. The display requires an extra step of 'view this item'. Can I get round this?

I'm not sure what you're asking here - where do you see "view this item"?

3 hours ago, mcmacey said:

2. Secondly, my title doesn't seem to display. Am I missing something in the coding?

The title is the title of the webpage as a web browser sees it - it appears in the title bar of the browser when you're viewing the page (depending on the browser) - not the title of the article on the web page. In your example screen shot it shows the title in the browser tab.

If you want a title there you'd have to enter it into the body text area and give it the HTML coding for a heading.

Roger

2 hours ago, theKiwi said:

I'm not sure what you're asking here - where do you see "view this item"?

This is shown in the second of my three screenshots. 

The title is the title of the webpage as a web browser sees it - it appears in the title bar of the browser when you're viewing the page (depending on the browser) - not the title of the article on the web page. In your example screen shot it shows the title in the browser tab.

If you want a title there you'd have to enter it into the body text area and give it the HTML coding for a heading.

Thanks - I understand now.

18 minutes ago, mcmacey said:

This is shown in the second of my three screenshots. 

Ahhh - that probably means you have linked a PDF file to that particular history, and you have to click the button to open and see the PDF file. Different browsers handle this differently, but that's my guess what's going on there. That is not the webpage of the item that is in your first screen shot is it? The first screen shot and the 3rd screen shot are that same page, the 2nd is something different.

Roger

14 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Ahhh - that probably means you have linked a PDF file to that particular history, and you have to click the button to open and see the PDF file. Different browsers handle this differently, but that's my guess what's going on there. That is not the webpage of the item that is in your first screen shot is it? The first screen shot and the 3rd screen shot are that same page, the 2nd is something different.

Roger

I did at one point have a pdf in the php file as an image but as it didn't display I edited it out- screenshot items 1 and 3 are the same. I thought it might be something to do with the menu bar, but I have now amended the php file to turn that off, and 'View item' is still appearing. It's not the end of the world but it looks clunky.

15 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

You might also want to take a look at the TNG Wiki article on Creating Histories

In the meantime I have tried using the Body Text option to add the history and it is probably going to be an easier option for me - except that, please can you tell me where I will find histories created using Body Text in /public_html? They are not in the histories folder, nor in any other sub-directory that I can see (I have tried using search in C-Panel). I need to know the file path names as I want to point to them from my front page features.

Thanks for your replies.

2 hours ago, mcmacey said:

In the meantime I have tried using the Body Text option to add the history and it is probably going to be an easier option for me - except that, please can you tell me where I will find histories created using Body Text in /public_html? They are not in the histories folder, nor in any other sub-directory that I can see (I have tried using search in C-Panel). I need to know the file path names as I want to point to them from my front page features.

They are stored in the mySQL database, not as individual files. Once created you can find their link in the TNG Admin ------> Media - and search for them or peruse the list - click the green checkbox to "test" the item and you'll get the URL of that page.

roger

They are stored in the mySQL database, not as individual files. Once created you can find their link in the TNG Admin ------> Media - and search for them or peruse the list - click the green checkbox to "test" the item and you'll get the URL of that page.

Brilliant - thank you very much!