TNG Community
mcmacey

Uploading media files and hyperlinks

mcmacey

Hi. Struggling newbie here. I read on the Wiki a suggestion that (as a workaround losing all the media I'd previously loaded in Ancestry), I could create my GEDCOM file using FTM so that I could preserve the links to my media files downloaded on to my Mac.

I have done this and created the local file path in TNG to mirror the location of my FTM media files. When I look at the contents of the FTM GEDCOM file, the OBJE links are all still pointing to Ancestry pages rather than to my local files so it doesn't seem to be possible to marry up the database records with the media files.

Does anyone have any advice to offer - am I missing something obvious?

Betty

theKiwi

When you did the export, did you export for GEDCOM?

image.png

Roger

fluffy82
5 hours ago, theKiwi said:

When you did the export, did you export for GEDCOM?

In addition to that, I have noticed that you get better results if you choose "FTM 2012" as destination, after choosing export as gedcom.

mcmacey

Hi

Thanks for replying. First, I did export to GEDCOM. The screenshot shows a bit of the file.Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 13.33.30.png

I have managed to upload some of the files from the FTM media file, and the links seem to work for those.  However it looks as though the files that originate in Ancestry  fail to write to TNG as per the next screenshot, even though I can open them on my local disk, make copies etc.

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 13.31.16.png

I am beginning to despair. Help much appreciated.

Betty

PS if there is another screenshot please ignore it, I think I solved that issue but it won't delete from this message

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 13.06.07.png

Edited by mcmacey
Unwanted screenshot won't delete

fluffy82
44 minutes ago, mcmacey said:

I have managed to upload some of the files from the FTM media file, and the links seem to work for those.  However it looks as though the files that originate in Ancestry  fail to write to TNG as per the next screenshot, even though I can open them on my local disk, make copies etc.

You need to upload all media files. TNG will not automatically search for them on Ancestry. If you saved media from Ancestry in FTM, you must make sure that FTM also downloads the files, and then upload them to your website's server. Just a link to Ancestry will not work.

mcmacey
34 minutes ago, fluffy82 said:

You need to upload all media files. TNG will not automatically search for them on Ancestry. If you saved media from Ancestry in FTM, you must make sure that FTM also downloads the files, and then upload them to your website's server. Just a link to Ancestry will not work.

Just to be clear, I have downloaded all the media files from FTM and stored them on my computer. When I try to upload them to TNG, most of them are failing to write to the disk. My original question was whether it was because the GEDCOM file didn't include the link to my locally stored files; now it looks like it is those files that originated in  Ancestry that are being rejected (and therefore causing the links to fail).

What I think might be happening is that these are files that the GEDCOM file refers to as SOUR (ie Ancestry sources; rather than documents which I have added myself to the Ancestry Gallery) and therefore TNG is not recognising them as PHOTOS or DOCUMENTS, etc. You can see the citations in the TNG SOURCES field but obviously, as the documents haven't loaded, the links don't work. 

If I can just get these files to upload into the TNG database I could probably create links manually but that seems an awfully clunky and unsatisfactory solution.

Edited by mcmacey

fluffy82
1 hour ago, mcmacey said:

most of them are failing to write to the disk

Have you tried uploading your media through ftp? Like Filezilla? If you try to use TNG tu upload large files (or large quantities of files) it sometimes gets stuck.

now it looks like it is those files that originated in  Ancestry that are being rejected (and therefore causing the links to fail)

I'm not sure what links you are talking about... If you have correctly attached the media file in FTM, it should look something like this in your gedcom:

0 @M405@ OBJE
1 FILE C:\Users\tomhu\Documents\Family Tree Maker\Huygens clean tree Media\huygensv_krantenartikels\k_Gazette van Lokeren - 4 oktober 1891 - p3.jpeg
2 FORM jpg
2 TITL Gazette van Lokeren - 4 oktober 1891 - p3
2 DATE 11/04/2018 21:20:42

these are files that the GEDCOM file refers to as SOUR

No, SOUR is the source. In the screenshots you showed, there are media attached to the source. But the screenshots don't show the specifics of the media files, only what they are attached to.

Could you open your gedcom and show us how the media files are saved? They should be rather at the bottom of the file.
The screenshot you showed above does not contain the reference to the media file, just that "a media file" is attached to a source belonging to a birth in Sutton in 1778. (@M156@ is the name of that specific media file, you need to go down to the bottom of the file and look at the line starting with 0 @M156@ OBJE and following lines to find out how its physical location is stored in the gedcom).

mcmacey

Thank you. I was trying to use Cyberduck to FTP the media files, but it kept stopping halfway through when it hit a file it couldn't open. I'm still awaiting a response from SimplyHosting on that one. I have since been trying to upload the files a few at a time via TNG which was going well till it started rejecting them! Maybe I was going to fast?

Anyway, this is what it lthe file locations look like in GEDCOM, so it does appear to point to the file stored locally.

0 @M516@ OBJE
1 FILE /Users/BettyMacey/Documents/Family history/Macey/Macey family tree Media/England  Wales Birth Index 19162005(15).jpg
2 FORM jpg
2 TITL England & Wales, Birth Index, 1916-2005
2 _DATE 26/02/2021, 12:39:47
2 _TEXT General Register Office; United Kingdom; Reference: Volume 3a, Page 30
3 CONC 87
0 @M517@ OBJE
1 FILE /Users/BettyMacey/Documents/Family history/Macey/Macey family tree Media/England  Wales Civil Registration Death Index 183(8).jpg
2 FORM jpg
2 TITL England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837-1915
2 _DATE 26/02/2021, 12:39:47

What I was trying to say about SOUR is that where a link exists, it appears in the SOURCE field on the record for the individual concerned, but it is pointing to Ancestry.

Betty

theKiwi

How did you get the file from Ancestry to FTM - is your FTM synching with Ancestry and so in theory downloading the files, or did you export a GEDCOM file from Ancestry and then import that into FTM?

I've just done this as a test. I have an FTM 2019 file synched to a tree on Ancestry

Go to Ancestry, and edit a person on the tree there to add Media to him that other people have already posted

Go to FTM and synch the changes from Ancestry. This included downloading the 5 images, and linking them to the person in FTM on my computer

From FTM export a GEDCOM file

Check the GEDCOM file and find that the 5 media items are included, and are referenced like

1 FILE /Users/roger/Documents/Documents/Genealogy/Roger/Roger's Families/Family Tree Maker/Roger New/Roger New Media/HARVEY Len, younger.jpg

1 FILE /Users/roger/Documents/Documents/Genealogy/Roger/Roger's Families/Family Tree Maker/Roger New/Roger New Media/HARVEY Len, younger.jpg

This would then upload to TNG as long as I'd set TNG to understand that path that precedes the image.

I "think" you're getting Ancestry links because you've imported a GEDCOM file from Ancestry rather than synching between FTM and Ancestry?

Roger

mcmacey

I think there are two issues here. 

1. It is possible to create a GEDCOM that doesn't include the Ancestry citation files. That option downloads me a folder with all the media files that I personally added to my Ancestry tree (eg photos, death certificates); but doesn't include those that I amassed while in Ancestry, such as Census pages or parish register entries. So I believe I do need to use the GEDCOM file with Ancestry citations so that I get a media file with everything.

2. The next problem is getting that media file into TNG. I have now been in touch with my hosting provider (Simply Hosting) and discovered that I had somehow uploaded multiple copies of the media file and used up all my disk space. Having cleared out these old files (which also included some data partially uploaded through the TNG 'choose file' option, I am now ready to go again.

However - I have uploaded my Family Tree Maker Media Folder to my host server with all those files (photos, censuses and the rest). I can see the files sitting there in my File Manager panel, but it won't let me copy them into the TNG /photos folder. Nor, when I use the TNG 'Add Media' option can I see the file on the server. 

I am not a complete novice when it comes to IT but I feel like I am with this!

fluffy82
3 hours ago, mcmacey said:

but doesn't include those that I amassed while in Ancestry, such as Census pages or parish register entries

I'm quite sure this means you did not download them from Ancestry and they are consequently not linked into FTM and are not physically present on your computer. When you upload the files to your server, they are missing because they don't exist. They only exist on Ancestry, not in your FTM tree/hard drive.

In the "Plan" view in FTM (top left), click the little arrow next to "Sync Now" and choose "Sync Options". There you should make sure the box "Download Ancestry citation media" is checked. If you do that, those Ancestry census pages etc will also be downloaded the next time you sync your tree.

Remember that "being visible in FTM" does not mean that you have actually downloaded the file. FTM has a built in browser with which you go look at files on the website of Ancestry. If you want to transfer your FTM tree to your website through gedcom, you need the files to be on your hard drive, not on Ancestry.

3 hours ago, mcmacey said:

but it won't let me copy them into the TNG /photos folder

This is how you create copies and fill up your disk space. I don't know your file manager, but I'm using Filezilla to upload things to my tree's server. I can upload them directly from my hard drive into the correct folder on my server with one click.

If you do 'Add Media' in TNG, as far as I know (I don't use that option as I import my media through FTM) it goes looking on your hard drive, not on your server. As I suspect (see the previous point), it can't find the files on your hard drive because they don't exist there. You haven't correctly downloaded them from Ancestry.

mcmacey

I think I have at last succeeded. The Family Tree Maker files were on my hard drive, by the way, and have been all along, but at my first few attempts (as I said) I wasn't getting all of them to load into TNG. It has been a nightmare but it looks like they are all there now, and the SOURCE records where appropriate are also pointing to the right media files. Thank you for bearing with me.

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 16.05.52.png