TNG Community

Person registered as dead without death record?

Appelmus

Hello!
When checking the data "Person marked as deceased but possibly still alive", a person is output for which I have not specified a date of death at all. Is there a way to mark a person as deceased besides the date of death.

Best regards

Michel KIRSCH
4 hours ago, Appelmus said:

When checking the data "Person marked as deceased but possibly still alive", a person is output for which I have not specified a date of death at all. Is there a way to mark a person as deceased besides the date of death

Edit person checking/unchecking the "Living" checkbox make the person alive/death.

With the Mod Direct_edit_menu, the change can be made without editing the person=>  https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Direct_Edit_Menu

Michel

check living.JPG

check living-Mod.JPG

13 hours ago, Appelmus said:

When checking the data "Person marked as deceased but possibly still alive", a person is output for which I have not specified a date of death at all. Is there a way to mark a person as deceased besides the date of death.

You can put a Y into the death date field which will tell TNG "Yes I know they're deceased, but have no idea when".

Roger

Thanks for the suggestions, but the problem is different as my opening post describes.
I explain again with pictures

screenshot_121.png

Figure A

screenshot_122.png

Figure B

J.A.Schmitz is marked as deceased (Figure A), but there is nothing marked on J.A.Schmitz's death record (Figure B).
I think there is an error in the program.
Best regards

1 hour ago, Appelmus said:

J.A.Schmitz is marked as deceased (Figure A), but there is nothing marked on J.A.Schmitz's death record (Figure B).

Not sure how it works if you enter data directly in TNG, but when I import my gedcom every person without death info aged 100 years or more is automatically set to be deceased, unless I tick the box "living" manually. You can change that age in the configuration screen.

Hello!
I have set the age from when someone can be marked as dead to 110 years in the configuration. J.Schmitz would not be 110 years old and yet I should have marked him as dead. But I have not marked anything.

Michel KIRSCH
1 hour ago, fluffy82 said:

You can change that age in the configuration screen.

Appelmus,

if you have importes your data with a gedcom and have not changing the defeult import settings, as Tom said, all individuals with no death date and born 100 years ago is considered as death.

The only solution is to update manually the "lebend" box.

If you enter manually your data into TNG, the box is default "checked" and you must uncheck it if the new person is death.

Michel

import - 100 ans.JPG

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Michel KIRSCH:

If you enter manually your data into TNG, the box is default "checked" and you must uncheck it if the new person is death.

Hello Michel!

These are my import settings. I entered the man directly, not gedcom imported. The man should be considered alive. However, the program claims that I have marked him as dead.

screenshot_123.png

10 minutes ago, Appelmus said:

However, the program claims that I have marked him as dead.

In your screenshot above, you clearly did not mark him as living (the box is unchecked). So he's dead.

In short: everyone in your database is dead, unless the "living" box is checked. If you enter a person manually, you need to tick that box to make him alive. If you don't check it, TNG thinks he's dead.

1 minute ago, Appelmus said:

But the person was born in 1914. She would have to be considered alive until 2024. 

only if you imported him. The living/dead/110 years labeling process is done once when a new gedcom is imported into the database. If you add a person manually, you need to check or uncheck the living box yourself.

Appelmus,

That depends on what you set for the option in Admin > Setup > General Settings in the Privacy section for Living flag set for new people and families: (in TNG 13 and above only) where you can now specify how the flag is set  for persons that are manually added to TNG (if you mean manually add instead of import in above post)

27 minutes ago, fluffy82 said:

f you add a person manually, you need to check or uncheck the living box yourself.

I think you can run the Import Secondary Process to Refresh Living whether you imported the data or added it manually based on what you defined in the Import Settings.  Please make sure you backup your database tables before running the Refresh Living or test this out on a test system first.

Updated - Of course if you manually add persons, it is up to you to set the Living flag correctly regardless of whether TNG would initially set it to Living or leave it unchecked to indicate deceased

Edited by Ken Roy
Update information