TNG Community

Spam "TNG user registration request"

Maggie46

I am using the latest TNG version 13.0.1  Ever since that update (I have no idea if there is a connection), I have been receiving more and more spam emails requesting to register as a new user.  Since yesterday, for example, I have received over 12 requests. I also receive some junk email with the heading :  "Comments (GUESTBOOK)". When I go to search for this email in my guestbook which is set up so that I have to preview it before I accept it, it is no-where to be found. 

I have no idea how to proceed; any suggestions most appreciated.

2 hours ago, Maggie46 said:

I am using the latest TNG version 13.0.1  Ever since that update (I have no idea if there is a connection), I have been receiving more and more spam emails requesting to register as a new user.  Since yesterday, for example, I have received over 12 requests. I also receive some junk email with the heading :  "Comments (GUESTBOOK)". When I go to search for this email in my guestbook which is set up so that I have to preview it before I accept it, it is no-where to be found. 

I have no idea how to proceed; any suggestions most appreciated.

Take a look at this article on the TNG Wiki

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Recaptcha_V2_Implemented

Roger

Thanks for this information... sounds a bit tricky to me (non-tech person). I do have one question... In the Wiki instructions it says " If you were currently using a different Captcha mod, "  I am using the Lazarus Guestbook and under security I use a Captcha.... does that mean I am "using a different Captch mod" ? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

I don't use the Guestbook, but my guess is that it's using its own captcha routines that are quite independent of TNG.

To get it to work on TNG's suggest and comments pages you'd need to implement it in TNG using that Wiki page as a guide to what to do.

Roger

Thanks for your time Roger. I'll see what I can do. IF, as you say, the Guestbook is using its own captcha routines, independent of TNG, then could I first try to do the first part of steps in the Wiki directions, and then worry about the Guestbook later?

What is a URL to your site?

I would expect that this spam you're getting is coming from the TNG system, perhaps started on the Guestbook page?

Implement the captcha on TNG and see if that also slows down the messages you're getting as "Comments (Guestbook)"

Roger