TNG Community
Rob Roy

Map partially not showing

Rob Roy

I have two databases (Licensed) one was using template 8 and the 16.  All working well.  Decided to revert the one running 16 back to 8, so the form and function would be the same on both.  The one that I just changed has one really odd issue.  If you click on the magnifying glass next to a location you get a map and other information (OpenStreet).  Well on the one I just changed, that map doesn't show.  If I change it back to 16 it works.  I checked all the settings against the other database, all are the same.  Below are two screenshots.  I have also tried various locations.  Searched the forums, but came up short.  Hopefully, this is a very easy one, and I'll be saying "dummy why didn't you think about that?"

Regards,

Rob Roy

bad.JPG

Good.JPG

theKiwi

Take a look in the Javascript console for the page that fails and see if there are any errors there - that might tell you what is wrong.

Or else post a link here to a page that doesn't show the map as expected

Roger

Ken Roy

Since you changed templates did you clear cache or do a forced reload?

Page looks OK to me

Rob Roy

Cleared Cashe, and rebooted and still have the same issue.  Just for giggles, fired up the laptop (not used much with COVID) and tried it.  The same result just slower.  Tied it on my iPad, same issue.  So fails on multiple platforms and multiple browsers.

Ken Roy

Sorry Rob,

I was too much in a hurry and only looked at the getperson.php page where the map display correctly.

When clicked on the search icon after a location like Lowell, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, you are correct it does not show a map.

If I understand previous posts, this is because the OpenStreetMap server might not be available for geocoding.

Rob Roy

As I originally thought.  The catch is if I change the template it works.  It also works in www.delvee.org with template 8. 

theKiwi

the console reports that this line is in error

<td class="headerrow" style="background: url(templates/template8/<center>img/titletop.jpg</center>) no-repeat;">

Probably the opening and closing centre tags - so wherever you've got that entered in the template 8 settings or css, find it and remove the <center> and </center> and see if that fixes it

Roger

Rob Roy

uninstalled all mods except for OpenStreetMaps.  Did not fix.

Copied Template 8 from 13.0 (latest version with Template 8 ).  Did not fix.

CSS as I understand it works on all templates, and therefore should not be an issue, as the rest work.

Went to Map Settings and verified that they are exactly the same as my other database (Delvee.org) that works. Did not fix.

It is 10 AM and far too early to drink, but I am tempted.

theKiwi
4 minutes ago, Rob Roy said:

CSS as I understand it works on all templates, and therefore should not be an issue, as the rest work.

Where is the css that I quoted above coming from?

It is NOT correct with the <center> and </center> tags in the css and should be fixed to at least rule it out as the cause of the map problem.

Roger

Rob Roy

Downloaded all the CSS directory, and searched each file for <center>.  Did not find any.

Did the same for all files in Template 8.  Did not find any.

Did the same for admin files that appear to work with maps.  Did not find any.

Uninstalled and deleted OpenStreetMaps.  Installed the latest version.  Did not fix.

I am at a loss, not knowing the file name that has the offending script.

theKiwi

Try looking through all the Template settings in TNG Admin. See if it's in there - it's in conjunction with the titletop image that is presumably in the page's header

Roger

XerxX

Thank you Roger for finding the line.

The line <td class="headerrow"... is found in templates/template8/topmenu.php and looks like this in TNG 13.0.2:

<td class="headerrow" style="background: url(<?php echo $cms['tngpath'] . $templatepath; ?><?php echo $tmp['t8_headimg']; ?>) no-repeat;">

There is a similar line in templates/template8/index.php also:

<div class="headerrow" style="background-image: url(<?php echo $cms['tngpath'] . $templatepath; ?><?php echo $tmp['t8_headimg']; ?>);background-position:right">

I find these lines only in template #8.

I suggest Rob checks them and change them to the above or at least like Roger suggested (remove "<center>" and "</center>")

HTH

Erik

Rob Roy

Unfortunately, neither file contains <center>

theKiwi
3 minutes ago, Rob Roy said:

Unfortunately, neither file contains <center>

AGAIN....

Have you looked in the Template Settings in TNG Admin??

Roger

Rob Roy

I found the <center> in TNG Admin, removed them, cleared cache, and rebooted.  Issue remains.

XerxX

Rob, I guess there is something else that is really wrong here.

I go to your site via the link above and then I click on the top place (Auburn) and the placesearch.php page opens for Auburn.

BUT it takes a looong time! The page is then many screens tall with only an empty dark brown background for the most part and at the very bottom I find this:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 836763648) (tried to allocate 32768 bytes) in /homepages/40/d127839664/htdocs/roygen/templates/template8/footer.php on line 1

Can there be a loop somewhere (in footer.php)?

/Erik

Rob Roy

Footer.php is fairly small so here it is:

<!-- begin footer -->
<?php global $text, $tng_version; ?>
    </td></tr>
    <tr>
        <td colspan="2" class="footer">
            <?php
                $flags['basicfooter'] = true;
                echo tng_footer($flags);
            ?>
        </td>
    </tr>
</table>
<!-- end footer -->

XerxX

Or it may be in the placesearch.php file itself as the "</td>" and "</tr>" mark the ends of the table-data and table-row beginning in that file.

Do you see what I saw: Many many screen-heights of empty dark brown background? This is in Firefox (Mac) - maybe something else in other browsers?

/Erik

EDIT: I now tested Chrome: Your page doesn't stop loading! Just adding more dark brown background.

Rob Roy

I agree, very slow to load.  The three place*.php files were just replaced with know good ones from Delvee.org.  Problem not fixed

theKiwi

The source code for the page shows 850,000!!!!!!!!!! lines which are mostly all repeats of 

<tr>
	    <td colspan="2" class="footer">
			<!-- begin footer -->
	</td></tr>

so there's a loop somewhere in the footer coming perhaps from footer.php in the template 8 folder?

That's why the map won't load, because the page itself never loads. The map only loads when the page is fully loaded.

Roger

Rob Roy

Never found the problem, but solved it.  Since I have a second database (Licensed) that was working with template 8, I deleted the entire template 8 file structure and replaced it with the known good template 8 structure from the other database.  

Since I had replaced this structure with my last upgrade file, I can only assume that sometime between updating Delvee.org, and TheRoyFamily.com, a file in that directory got corrupted.

This again proves that computers are malevolent beings.

Thank you all for the help you have provided.