TNG Community

Collapse Notes Field

stores

Hello all, I would like to collapse the Notes field on a persons page. Some people in the tree have one or two lines but many have multiple pages as I transcribe everything into the Notes field in a time line. I have the "Collapsible Standard Events" Mod installed but Notes are not a part of that mod. Has anyone created a Mod to collapse Notes? 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michel KIRSCH

• Hanne B. Stegemüller

• stores

• Brett

Michel KIRSCH

This Mod doesn't collapse, but hide big notes. A big note is a note with more than x characters (you decide the x length)

The hidden note is replaced by a "Show note" link which refresh the page and show the notes.

to hide the notes again, use the back button of your browser.

English, French and Dutch languages.

This is a beta version. PHP solution, not js.

Suggestions or remarks are welcome

Michel

hide_big_notes_v13.0.2.beta1.cfg

Thanks Michel, installing on a v13.01 install but getting "Cannot install" due to two "not unique" issues as attached...

Clipboard01.jpg

Hello Michel, Beta 3 installs but I don't see any difference. I tried setting it to 25 characters and 1 character and 0 characters but the Notes still show as seen in the attachment, am I missing something?

Venard.jpg

Michel KIRSCH

The Mod is written for native TNG code. You certainly have Mods installed...(I think regroup person profile..?)

Send me your getperson.php file and a list of installed Mods.

See the result for notes > 1000 char in attach

Michel

hide big notes.JPG

I only have one Notes section on a persons page, at the bottom, and i have 5 mods installed including your Hide Big Notes, Connections Counter, Image Captcha, Open Street Maps and Person Map as shown in an earlier image in this thread above... getperson.php attached...

getperson.php

Hello Michel,

Bingo, beta4 version works great... I thought "I see. You use "In notes section" option for Show notes (Setup/general.../Misc..)" might be the key.

Thank you, works great, keep safe... Jim

Michel KIRSCH
2 hours ago, stores said:

beta4 version works great

OK Jim,

The next version will include the others notes, (attached to birth, death , user events, etc...) and new translations from Erik.

Will look to give a more "collapse" design with an arrrow instead a link...

Michel

Michel KIRSCH

3 hours ago, stores said:

Bingo, beta4 version works great

Which design did you prefer? (1st or 2nd)

Michel

hide big notes 2.JPG

Actually, they both look great, but i think the 1st would look best, since i have so many collapsed items, but with the "Show notes" caption but either works great for me. Thank you

Hello Michel,

Beta 6 works perfectly, the arrow is a nice touch as you don't have to click the back button to re hide the notes, just click the arrow.

Thank you very much, stay safe.

Jim

• 2 months later...
Michael S

Hello, I'm new here and my TNG runs great on 13.0.3 with template 16.
I think the mod is great and have installed beta 6. It works fine so far. However, the page always jumps to the top when I click on the arrow. No matter whether down arrow or up arrow. How can I prevent this? Hope you can help me. 
Greetings
Michael

Michel KIRSCH

Michael,

the actual beta6 version doesn't permits to change this behaviour.

I know, it' annoying.

The beta6 is a... beta version, so i'm waiting for observations (as yours) to finalize and promote the Mod

When i have a little bit of time, i will check for use a more responsive system...

Michel

I would like to explain what the idea is, why I want the field to be collapsible.

The individual page would become more condensed if I were to write, for example, a more detailed life story as a "note". For my relatives, this would have the advantage that they could create a printout that would be more book-like on the page Ancestors --> Ahnentafel, or Descendants -> Register. You can't do that so well if you do the History of Life as a "story". I think the History solution is very good for the web. In the long term perspective, it could be very good to be able to print out the Ahnentafel sheet "together" with the life histories (as notes) of the pesons.
I hope I have expressed myself clearly.

Many greetings
Michael

Edited by Michael S
Changed Ahnenblatt to Ahnentafel (Ahnenblatt was the wrong word)

Hi Michel,

Great idea for a mod.  I didn't thoroughly read the full thread, so excuse if this is repeat or already mentioned.  I have two observations.

1) Expanding and Collapsing a note causes the entire page to be redrawn, rather than just expanding the note.  Other expand/collapse functions on the person page do not do that.  On my local system, with mods having ancestors, siblings/ sibling spouses, children, children's spouses etc being displayed, this can take a couple seconds for person with large families.

2) I would prefer when expanded, not being in a scroll box, but instead displaying the entire note.  To me, requiring scroll after expand limits the collapse/expand function.

Ron

Michel KIRSCH
2 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Expanding and Collapsing a note causes the entire page to be redrawn

Yes Ron.

Using js to show/hide notes is the best solution. But I have not yet found the method to do this...

Michel

1 hour ago, Jan Bos said:

my testsite disappeared

Jan what do you mean with disappeared? No more TNG pages?

The Mod (which version of the Mod do you use? Which TNG version?) modify the files getperson.php and personlib.php.

Try to load a fresh version of getperson.php (and  then personlib.php )

Michel