theKiwi

Search for Connections Mod

mjaro
3 minutes ago, JPB said:

what is meant by "16"?

16 seconds? 16 generations?

Jürgen

Path length means the number of steps from person to person . E.g., path

Emily Scobell --her father George Scobell --his daughter Mary Hamilton (Polly) Scobell --her daughter Dame Barbara Cartland

is 3 steps long, 1 of the steps is marriage (the marriages can be important to somebody as it is non-blood relation).

Of course I'm interested in German translation (the existing translations are rather stable, no risk of many changes)

Michał

mjaro

Michael in Scotland, you were too fast for me ;);) 

manofmull
1 minute ago, mjaro said:

Michael in Scotland, you were too fast for me ;);) 

Sorry, i'm just happy to get this working well.

Excellent mod!

Ken Roy
14 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Path length means the number of steps from person to person . E.g., path

Emily Scobell --her father George Scobell --his daughter Mary Hamilton (Polly) Scobell --her daughter Dame Barbara Cartland

is 3 steps long, 1 of the steps is marriage (the marriages can be important to somebody as it is non-blood relation).

Of course I'm interested in German translation (the existing translations are rather stable, no risk of many changes)

Michał

Michal,

In order to get good French and German translations, you are going to have to change some of your $text variables.  You will need to create variables like

$text['hismother'] or $text['hermother'] and $text['hisfather'] or $text['herfather']  and so on

Claude M Roy --son père Maxime Roy --son mère Rose Malvina Martin --sa père Isaie Martin --son fils Prime Antoine Martin --son fils Denis Martin --son fils Onias G. Martin

Chemin 2 trouvé dans 10. étape de recherche (longueur du trajet = 8 y compris 2 mariages)

Claude M Roy --son femme Marie Therese Nadeau --sa mari Wilbrod Morneault --son mère Catherine Roy --sa mère Rose Malvina Martin --sa père Isaie Martin --son fils Prime Antoine Martin --son fils Denis Martin --son fils Onias G. Martin

The highlighted French text above is not correct.  It should be sa mère,  son père

No sense sending you French or German translations until some of the text variables are fixed

JPB

Once again, I have to ask a question for understanding.

At the end of the graph it says:

"No more connections shorter than 33 in 99 search steps"

What does "33" mean?

Isn't that the limited number of people over which a path should be searched?

Perhaps this ad should be made a little more precise and indicate what 33 means?

I appreciate Ken's suggestion. A clean German translation can only be reached with two variables each for "his" and "her":

Person 1 is male: reference to a male person = variable 1 (en: his; de: sein; fr: son)
Person 1 is male: reference to a female person = variable 2 (en: his; de: seine; fr: sa)
Person 2 is female: reference to a male person = variable 3 (en: her; de: ihr; fr: son)
Person 2 is female: reference to a female person = variable 4 (en: her; de: ihre; fr: sa)

I have no idea how complicated such programming is and unfortunately cannot contribute to it.

Jürgen

mjaro
1 minute ago, JPB said:

"No more connections shorter than 33 in 99 search steps"

What does "33" mean?

This time "33" is just repeated max-lenght limit set by user. In general, maybe there are more connections found but they were longer than the limit. Note that the next sentence says e.g. "(longest path checked so far was 21 steps long)"  or sometimes   "(longest path checked so far was 37 steps long)" which explains what was the situation when limit was reached. You van then decide if it make sense to run the search again for increased limits.

21 minutes ago, JPB said:

I have no idea how complicated such programming is

Referring german (and french) translations I've just asked Chriss Moss for permission of his brilliant function of creating even more cases of relationship sentences in different languages. So please hold translating for a while.

Thanks for your interest!

Michał

manofmull

Michael

I did a connection search earlier today on my site and the result was seven paths.

I'm just curious, but the first path displayed was Path 2 and the second displayed was Path 1 i.e. they were reversed.

All other Paths from 3 to 7 were in the correct order. This is no big deal, just wondered why.

Michel KIRSCH

Michal,

I've updated your wiki page with new name of the Mod (Connections#Uninstalling_the_mod)

and delete the 2 lines about "deleting manually" the copied files. The copied files are automatically deleted when uninstalling the mod.

I work on a french version

Michel

mjaro
20 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Michael

I did a connection search earlier today on my site and the result was seven paths.

I'm just curious, but the first path displayed was Path 2 and the second displayed was Path 1 i.e. they were reversed.

All other Paths from 3 to 7 were in the correct order. This is no big deal, just wondered why.

After path search finish all the paths are sorted either by lenght or by number of marriages. Maybe this explains your case?

manofmull

Michal

Yes, that's probably correct. I just wanted to make sure it can display any path first.

All is good.

mjaro
Just now, Michel KIRSCH said:

Michal,

I've updated your wiki page with new name of the Mod (Connections#Uninstalling_the_mod)

and delete the 2 lines about "deleting manually" the copied files. The copied files are automatically deleted when uninstalling the mod.

I work on a french version

Michel

Michel, you are right - I initially copied this "advice" from another mod description, but now I should know that it unneeded. 

Thank you for correction!

Do you use Relate mod of Chris Moss? If not, can you please check it?

It constructs sentences in several languages (incl.french and german) and can create even "shorthands" for paths, e.g. for "...his father... his father.." it can state just "his grandfather" etc. (even "3rd cousin twice removed" if is needed). So please check it!

Michał

JPB
vor 49 Minuten schrieb mjaro:

This time "33" is just repeated max-lenght limit set by user. In general, maybe there are more connections found but they were longer than the limit. Note that the next sentence says e.g. "(longest path checked so far was 21 steps long)"  or sometimes   "(longest path checked so far was 37 steps long)" which explains what was the situation when limit was reached. You van then decide if it make sense to run the search again for increased limits.

Michal,

I also understood it that way. But I tried to make it clearer for the visitors of the page.

"33" specified the maximum number of people through which a connection should be searched. Right?

The other value (99) specifies the maximum number of connections (paths) to search between the chosen ones. Right?

Jürgen

Ken Roy
31 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Do you use Relate mod of Chris Moss? If not, can you please check it?

It constructs sentences in several languages (incl.french and german) and can create even "shorthands" for paths, e.g. for "...his father... his father.." it can state just "his grandfather" etc. (even "3rd cousin twice removed" if is needed). So please check it!

I use Chris Moss' Relate mod and he displays relationship very differently that your connections mod does.  Please do NOT change your connections mod since it shows multiple connection paths between 2 different peoples and as you indicated might not necessarily be related.  Chris's mod shows one relationship between 2 people and it might not be the same as your excellent chart.

Ken Roy

Michal,

For example my relationship to Dad's 2nd cousin Onias Martin who was killed in action in Bonnetable, France during World War II, shows the following in your Connections mod

Connections to Onias G. Martin

Path 1 found in 1. search step (path length = 7 incl. 0 marriages)

Kenneth Claude Roy --his father Claude M Roy --his father Maxime Roy --his mother Rose Malvina Martin --her father Isaie Martin --his son Prime Antoine Martin --his son Denis Martin --his son Onias G. Martin

Connexions à Onias G. Martin

Chemin 1 trouvé dans 1. étape de recherche (longueur du trajet = 7 y compris 0 mariages)

Kenneth Claude Roy --son père Claude M Roy --son père Maxime Roy --son mère Rose Malvina Martin --sa père Isaie Martin --son fils Prime Antoine Martin --son fils Denis Martin --son fils Onias G. Martin

Where as Chris Moss' Relate mod only shows a summary.  I would want to see the paths used to determine the relationship.

Onias G. Martin is the second cousin of Claude M Roy, who is the father of Kenneth Claude Roy.

Onias G. Martin est le deuxième cousin de Claude M Roy, qui est le père de Kenneth Claude Roy

To me this is especially important since Chris does not always find the closest genealogical relationship. 

Both mods complement each other.   I like the fact that your mod shows how you got to that relationship.  I suspect that was the reason that some users requested that you suppress the wording since in some languages it does not read correctly

mjaro
22 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

I use Chris Moss' Relate mod and he displays relationship very differently that your connections mod does.  Please do NOT change your connections mod since it shows multiple connection paths between 2 different peoples and as you indicated might not necessarily be related.  Chris's mod shows one relationship between 2 people and it might not be the same as your excellent chart.

I consider only using Chris' function of creating textual sentence. It is parameterised and can be set to create simple sentences (as in my mod) or use "shorthands" like "4th cousin twice removed" - depending on the level you set. The advantage is that it knows multiple languages (with all the specifics of naming relatives).

Ken Roy

I hope you do not destroy your excellent mod in attempting to use Chris's sentence structure

mjaro
Just now, Ken Roy said:

I hope you do not destroy your excellent mod in attempting to use Chris's sentence structure

Don't be afraid. I know that Relate mod finds only shortest path (sometimes there are a few of equal "shortest" langth). However, my textual path description simply repeats what is also visible in the diagram - thus some users consider such a description not needed (and can be unset). Maybe Chris' way of textual summary could be more interesting for users? If not, I'll keep allowing to use only my original text, or not to display it at all. How do you see such an approach?

JPB

It is not necessary to go to great lengths because of the crooked German designations!

I may have found a way to deal with the two existing variables, but will test it tomorrow.

Michal, the longer one deals with your mod, the more valuable it becomes. Thanks for a good idea and a super implementation.

Jürgen

manofmull
1 hour ago, mjaro said:

sentences (as in my mod) or use "shorthands" like "4th cousin twice removed"

Michal

That's not exactly what I would call shorthand.

"4th cousin twice removed" in shorthand would be "4c2r"

"1st/first cousin thrice removed" = "1c3r"  (thrice is old fashioned English for "three times")

etc... etc...

EDIT

1st / 2nd / 3rd etc... are rarely used nowadays.

It's more common to see first / second / third etc...

or in UK dates as numbers 31/10/2020 i.e. not 31st

Michael

Michel KIRSCH
2 hours ago, JPB said:

Person 1 is male: reference to a male person = variable 1 (en: his; de: sein; fr: son)
Person 1 is male: reference to a female person = variable 2 (en: his; de: seine; fr: sa)
Person 2 is female: reference to a male person = variable 3 (en: her; de: ihr; fr: son)
Person 2 is female: reference to a female person = variable 4 (en: her; de: ihre; fr: sa)

Assuming father, mother, ... are only used in the textual description,

setting :

$text['his'] = "";
$text['her'] = "";

and :

$text['hfather'] = "son père"; #mja
$text['hmother'] = "sa mère"; #mja
$text['hhusband'] = "son époux"; #mja
$text['hwife'] = "son épouse"; #mja
$text['hson'] = "son fils"; #mja
$text['hdaughter'] = "sa fille"; #mja

is enough.

In english, 'her' or 'his' depends of the subject (she => her father, he => his father)

in french 'sa' or 'son' depends of the "complément" (elle => son père, il => son père, elle => sa mère, il => sa mère)

if the 'complément' begins with a, e, i, o, u => always 'son' (son époux, son épouse, son arrière-grand-mère,  son oncle, ...)

Michel

mjaro

14 minutes ago, manofmull said:

That's not exactly what I would call shorthand.

Thus I wrote "shorthand" in quotes ;) 

Ken Roy

Merci Michel,

That looks like your suggestion will work in French.   I do not know whether the same logic would apply in German since I do not read German.

manofmull

Michal

Sorry to "nitpick" but "shorthands" like "4th cousin twice removed"

This means that you think "4th cousin twice removed" is shorthand.

It's actually the full descriptive relationship.

Otherwise it would be "shorthand" for "4th cousin twice removed" = 4c2r

mjaro

Jürgen and Michael,

I see a way of creating sentences in which taking into account of both subject' and object' gender (it's probably a similar concept Jürgen mentioned) - according to the Michel's examples and french solution. It could be great if Jürgen could do german solution for me ;) 

manofmull
1 hour ago, mjaro said:

Thus I wrote "shorthand" in quotes ;) 

Ahh, NOW I see what you mean!

Ooops and sorry for the "lesson"🙄

I blame the Covid jab I got recently, can't think straight!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.