TNG Community
theKiwi

Search for Connections Mod

tngrlkrz
45 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Ron/Michel

Does this refer to the Cousins mod or another?

Another, its an admin:users  area mod, just as Michel worded it , the Add_Cousins_Button .

manofmull

Ron

Thanks. I did search but couldn't find it without your link.

tngrlkrz
1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

alter the Connections.css

I merely altered two color values in the css to present a neutral gray, which looks OK with any of the templates I make available to users.

tngrlkrz
2 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Ron

Thanks. I did search but couldn't find it without your link.

That's weird; I simply type 'add' in the search field and the dropdown presents it among others.  Glad you found it.

mjaro
6 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

I merely altered two color values in the css to present a neutral gray, which looks OK with any of the templates I make available to users.

Ron, I could make this change in my mod to better fit to most of the templates. For my own I can do a private mod - would this be fair?

manofmull

Michal

< 41. search step > should be < 41 search steps > (minus the chevrons)

After 1 search step, all others are steps (plural)

tngrlkrz
1 hour ago, mjaro said:

Ron, I could make this change in my mod to better fit to most of the templates. For my own I can do a private mod - this would be fair?

When I say 'neutral' , I mean like the gray buttons in TNG, and that may not suit everyone and their themes, though.  

These are the grays I use for all templates.

#pathlist {
    --bgr: #f0f0f0; /* background color of the diagram ( and invisible box border) */
    --bg1: #e0c2a6; /*  */
    --bg2: #dddddd; /* background color for boxes */

image.png

manofmull

I did this with template 18. Not great but not so "harsh" as the original (sorry)

I'll probably play around with the shade of green

connections.jpg

theKiwi
47 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Roger - it's nice that your site is running my mod! (BTW I see that you haven't used the new sprite in Connections tab?).

I had to do some digging to find out what's going on. For reasons I have long since forgotten about without more investigating, I already had a modified sprite image - the one I'm using now is 245px high - your one is 235, so I seem to have 2 more icons already, and so connections is grabbing the one second from the bottom in what I have.

image.png

I checked (sorry) how fast the Connections run and I'm surprised that it is several times slower than in my hosted site. Interesting why... (is it your production site?)

I suspect the main reason is that it's running in the TNG-WordPress-plugin, which basically works by having the plugin request the TNG page, then the plugin accepts it, prepares it for display inside WordPress (eg combining the TNG <head></head> section into the WordPress <head></head> section so there's only a single <head></head> section on the page), and then sending the whole thing. For just the TNG version look here

http://tngwp.lisaandroger.com/tng_13.0/getperson.php?personID=I16&amp;tree=Roger

this is not part of the WordPress site, but only the TNG page so is quite a bit faster. My database has a bit over 18,000 people in it.

The question of numbering: The search function returns a new path at every call ('search step"), but most of the findings are filtered-out as negligible (I partially explained this in the previous page; it's a pity that post aren't numbered) . So the the meaning of the info you cited is: There were 41 path found so far, and the 41st of them is the 2nd one that is worth displaying. (I know very little English. Could you please suggest how this message should be?)

Now I understand what it's telling me, I think it will be difficult to come up with a good phrase for all instances. How about instead of

Path 2 found in 41. search step

it says

Path 2 found in search step 41

That way you don't have to figure out if you should say 41st search step, or 42nd search step or 43rd search step, or 44th search step (each number here has a different 2 letter addition to make it the ordinal number (41st, 42nd, 43rd etc )

Your further suggestions are undoubtedly apt - I'm going to follow them. Should the mod name / title be also lowercased? 

No, the Mod's name and title can be in Sentence case or Initial Caps - but all the file and folder names are best if all lower case for sorting purposes.

Thanks

Roger

theKiwi
18 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

I had to do some digging to find out what's going on. For reasons I have long since forgotten about without more investigating, I already had a modified sprite image - the one I'm using now is 245px high - your one is 235, so I seem to have 2 more icons already, and so connections is grabbing the one second from the bottom in what I have.

I found what's happening - my site is using a sprites file called xerxx_tng_small_icon_sprites.gif right now - and the reason is that @XerxX Erik's Maternal and Paternal Lines Mod uses this new sprite, and overcomes the problem you encountered where you can't overwrite a file already existing, but uploading a new sprite file, and then making changes to genstyle.css to call the new sprite file not the original one. Then when you remove the Mod it deletes the file Erik put there, and alters the css file back to calling that not Erik's sprite file.

So what has happened here, I over-wrote the original TNG sprite file with your file, but my site is using Erik's file currently.

So I don't know what the solution to this is easily to have multiple Mods using different sprites files if a user has more than 1 of the mods installed.

Roger

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, mjaro said:

Ron, I could make this change in my mod to better fit to most of the templates. For my own I can do a private mod - would this be fair?

Michal,

It might be better to document what each css variable color is used for.  I changed it to different values than Ron, and I suspect so did Roger

I am still playing with what colors I want.  What color I see might also not match what others see, being color-blind  :)

manofmull

Ken

I was thinking exactly the same re documentation. I had to play around with different colours to see what was what.

I've settled on the pic below as the light-blue background almost matches the tab colour for template 18. It also blends in with the deeper blue of the menu bar.

Also gone with Ron's neutral idea for person boxes.

connections2.jpg

Brett
19 hours ago, mjaro said:

could you please uninstall the mod and then install the new version (renamed! to Connections)

Michal

Tried with latest version but same result.

Brett

Michal

With the first version, if I did not wish to upload the sprite file, the default was chosen and I had an image in the Tab. With the latest version, if I choose to not use the sprite file, there is no image.

Is there a coding reason this is now occurring?

Thanks

mjaro
9 hours ago, theKiwi said:

2 letter addition to make it the ordinal number (41st, 42nd, 43rd etc )

Roger, if you look at  nexpaths.php line 148 there is a tiny function doing this. I haven't used it yet for my time saving (I only put dot after ordinals). ;) 

mjaro

Brett, there were no code changes about sprites... It must be something else (maybe your browser cache should be cleared?) I will try to find a solution...

(please look also at several messages above concerning sprites)

manofmull
2 hours ago, mjaro said:

Roger, if you look at  nexpaths.php line 148 there is a tiny function doing this. I haven't used it yet for my time saving (I only put dot after ordinals). ;) 

Michal

I removed two dots from the file but the result still displays with the dot, and singular "step" for mulitple searches (more than 1 search step should show steps)

return $number 'th';
    else
     return $number $ends[$number % 10];

mjaro

Roger, I said the function is prepared but is not used. 

Anyway, the meaning is: The Path number 4 was found in the 47th step  (or ...in the search step 47th). (should "the" be also put?)

(I'm just making the code correction)

manofmull
20 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Roger, I said the function is prepared but is not used. 

Anyway, the meaning is: The Path number 4 was found in the 47th step  (or ...in the search step 47th). (should "the" be also put?)

(I'm just making the code correction)

Michal

It was not Roger but me, sorry I misunderstood.

All you need is "in search step 47"

There is no need for "the" or "th" after a number

Michael in Scotland

mjaro
14 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Michal

All you need is "in search step 47"

There is no need for "the" or "th" after a number

Michael in Scotland

That's great. Only $text['xrun']... should be changed to  $text['xrun'] = " found in search step xxx";   in the mod laguages.

manofmull
24 minutes ago, mjaro said:

That's great. Only $text['xrun']... should be changed to  $text['xrun'] = " found in search step xxx";   in the mod laguages.

24 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Michal

Works just fine, thank you

Example from my site = Path 3 found in search step 13 (path length = 16 incl. 2 marriages)

I also removed the dot after xxx" as there is no need for it (I don't like dots)

JPB

Hi,

I am in the process of making a German translation for this Mod. Ken made me aware that the Mod is being discussed here ...

In the German language there are differences between his and his (sein and seine) or her and her (ihr and ihre).

Is it intended to take these subtleties into account? Otherwise, I will double that for selection when reading (sein/seine and ihr/ihre).

@Michal: Do you want to have the german texts right away or should I wait for changes?

Jürgen

JPB
vor 14 Minuten schrieb manofmull:

path length = 16

what is meant by "16"?

16 seconds? 16 generations?

Jürgen

manofmull

Jurgen

Path length 16 means 16 people in the search result, minus the person you started with

i.e. 16 other people connected to your first choice

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.