TNG Community
theKiwi

Search for Connections Mod

tngrlkrz

Thanks Ken,

My personal preference is showing the connections tab, but disabling it and encouraging the visitor to register with a message.  Your change eliminates the tab. 

Ken Roy

Ron,

As I said we all have different needs.  My site is wide open and not restricted to requiring a login to get to certain pages.  The only restriction I impose is requiring a login to View Living and View Private (deceased within the last 10 years)

I am sure if I had time, I could create a different mod.  I am still working of fixing mods from TNG 13 which was beta tested last summer.  Never mind still fighting the problem with MediaWiki language templates, so I took the quick way out to stop the bots from chewing up my MySQL time before my hosting service kicks me out.   User 80 MySQL execution minutes out of 30 allowed yesterday.

So we all have different needs.  what works for you may not work for me since I do not use any of the mods that restrict access

tngrlkrz
1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

So we all have different needs.

Of course, Ken,  that's what I implied when I said 'personal preference'.  But you were suggesting a wiki reference to your approach, so perhaps reference to other approaches becomes valid as well then...😉..my last word.

klooster

Is version 13.0.3.4a that is listed on the Wiki mod page, the definite version of the Search Connections mod ?

mjaro
51 minutes ago, klooster said:

Is version 13.0.3.4a that is listed on the Wiki mod page, the definite version of the Search Connections mod ?

For sure not!

(I had to take a break from programming :(  But v5 is on its way)

klooster

Happy to test it out.

mjaro

Hi all,

I was finally able to get back to programming 😁 and prepared another version of the mod.

The version is named 4d as v5 was turned out to be shared prematurely... Maybe the shy number will be more successful 😏

Michał

Connections_v13.0.3.4d.zip

klooster

I installed Connections V13.0.3.4d and it works just fine!

Schermafbeelding 2021-03-20 om 07.26.27.png

mjaro

Looks great 👍

Thank you for testing!

Michał

tngrlkrz

Michal,

No bugs seen in my testing so far.  Looks very good, especially registered user vs. visitor and user rights. Box sizing management much improved, like the variable width boxes with fixed height.  Of course, also like the compact version too.

On my custom site, some private changes:

• diagrams/containers are invisible
  • on non compacted boxes, displaying birth/death year instead of tooltip, since space available.
  • living color for living individuals (none in examples)
  • chose a 'red' arrow pointing right for start person, since paths are shown left to right.

image.png

mjaro
24 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

No bugs seen in my testing so far.

Good news 😁

24 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

on non compacted boxes, displaying birth/death year instead of tooltip, since space available.

Right change - I like it and will include into code 👌 (I only wonder whether to remove or leave tooltip even if it becomes mostly redundant...)

How do you change living color? Do you insert an inline style?

Thanks for testing!

Michał

tngrlkrz
On 3/20/2021 at 12:50 PM, mjaro said:

How do you change living color? Do you insert an inline style?

It's derived from or based on the Living_Color_Mod.    It's a one line code to set a  'living color' flag (lc_flag), which is then checked within in TNG functions for getting the names.  

Here is an example (name header colored as well) in non compact mode, and compact mode:

image.png

On 3/20/2021 at 12:50 PM, mjaro said:

I only wonder whether to remove or leave tooltip even if it becomes mostly redundant.

Either way is OK I think, but I disabled the tooltip except for the compact chart.

One last thing, a  'luxury item'.   What if instead of having the entire box a person profile link,  there was added a 'showmedia' link to the thumbnail, similar to a few other pedigree and descendant charts with thumbs. But again...just an unnecessary 'bonus'. 

That said, the mod is very good to leave as is as well.  

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

there was added a 'showmedia' link to the thumbnail, similar to a few other pedigree and descendant charts with thumbs. But again...just an unnecessary 'bonus'. 

Ron,

That is a personal option that will not work for every one.  Some of us still use the old style default photos because they do not existing in showmedia folders.

tngrlkrz
1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

Ron,

That is a personal option that will not work for every one.  Some of us still use the old style default photos because they do not existing in showmedia folders.

I was just comparing to some 'out of the box' TNG charts  in which thumbs can be clicked to showmedia.   Ancestor standard, vertical and Descendant standard and vertical all provide this option.

However, I would agree that the 'living color' option is quite personal, since it is based on a mod and is not found in standard TNG.

mjaro
On 3/20/2021 at 8:27 PM, tngrlkrz said:

to some 'out of the box' TNG charts  in which thumbs can be clicked to showmedia

I have this functionality in my todo list. However, I plan also to switch to the standard TNG boxes in place of my own "contrivance", and then the issue disappear...

mjaro

Hi all my friends which use the Connections mod,

Do you consider all the mod parameters useful? Most of them set a first-run only default value which can be then easy changed. This is the case for $compactBoxOpt, $sortByOpt, $showTxtOpt and $maxRopt. Not using them would simplify cfg.

Please let me know your opinions.

Michał

Michel KIRSCH

I don't :-))

Michel

tngrlkrz

Hi Michal,

15 hours ago, mjaro said:

plan also to switch to the standard TNG boxes

Seems like it might be more than a bit of work if the thumb click to showmedia is the main visible change,  especially considering what you have in v4d works so well, but, yes,, sounds good if you're up to it and perhaps makes it easier for you to maintain your code :) 

14 hours ago, mjaro said:

Do you consider all the mod parameters useful?

Since you have those options also directly on the connections page, they may seem to be redundant.  But they are not really, since without them the user has to find them in mod to keep them permanent.  Changing 'on the fly' each time would be inconvenient for each session.  You would have to clearly document  how to set them in the files.  I think that is what the Edit Options were designed for : .. to enable the author to provide easier ways for the admin to setup the mod.

Michel KIRSCH
23 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

But they are not really, since without them the user has to find them in mod to keep them permanent

Ron, you're right, but once the session is started (and a session can live for weeks !) changing the parameter's value in MM have no effect... it is destabilizing for the user...

23 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Edit Options were designed for : .. to enable the author to provide easier ways for the admin to setup the mod

If the user love the compact mode, he will change in the connection-form (where he can directly see the difference with the normal mode).
When a new session is started, the mode will begin with the option defined in the MM.
The user must know that changing in MM parameter is necessary to begin his session with his preferences...

Michel

Ken Roy
On 3/26/2021 at 5:02 PM, mjaro said:

Do you consider all the mod parameters useful? Most of them set a first-run only default value which can be then easy changed. This is the case for $compactBoxOpt, $sortByOpt, $showTxtOpt and $maxRopt. Not using them would simplify cfg.

Michal,

I use your edit option defaults and only modify the colors to match Template 20 and to restrict the Connections tab to logged in users only since I am always exceeding MySQL execution minutes recently.

tngrlkrz
16 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

and a session can live for weeks

I guess my thinking was that Edit Options are for setting defaults deemed to be most applicable for the admin's site (and most users), but the user can override for the session only.  

16 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

user has to find them in mod to keep them permanent

When I stated that,  I was referring only to the 'admin' user who installs the mod.  

That said, I have no problem reducing the edit options, but the admin needs to know where to change them so they are permanent except for user overrides.  In addition to the wiki, this could be documented in the mod description and seen in MM.

theKiwi
On 3/26/2021 at 6:02 PM, mjaro said:

My thoughts are to let the Admin define the options in the Mod's Edit Options settings, and have less options available to the site's visitors - i.e. remove some of the options that show on the connections.php page. This would prevent users continually loading a page with different options which would help with less loading on the server if it's asked to continuously generate the page over and over with the different options.

For the people who have set it to only show for logged in users, you could maybe be allowed to allow your logged in users whether they might be able to change the options on the page, but as someone with no users logging in to his site, I'm fine with me defining the settings that all visitors to the site will see.

Roger

Michel KIRSCH
11 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

When I stated that,  I was referring only to the 'admin' user who installs the mod

Ron, you're right... I'm too tired. Indeed, only Admin have access to the parameters...

I take back all what I said!

Michel

tngrlkrz
On 3/26/2021 at 4:38 PM, mjaro said:

I have this functionality in my todo list. However, I plan also to switch to the standard TNG boxes

Hi Michal,

Just a thought since you have a todo list, maybe...   For my use,  I added an  'End Person'  to the diagrams. Arrows depicting path flow.

image.png

A slightly different legend:

image.png

mjaro
6 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

I added an  'End Person'  to the diagrams. Arrows depicting path flow.

Great idea! I myself needed something like that!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.