TNG Community
theKiwi

Search for Connections Mod

mjaro
29 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Sorry but I was not looking at the fact that Ron wants a different capability.   If the Edit Option is to support a Compact view, then the Edit Option needs to be reworded to indicate that it is for those users who want an Compact view rather than a full chart view

The code check whether to use the default images would also need to be done the same way as Darrin does it in globallib.php

!empty($tngconfig['usedefthumbs'])

Thank you Ken! I'll use it in my code and modify the description.

Michał 

tngrlkrz

*rephrased*

tngrlkrz

Ken,  Ok, but it's not really worded wrong, it does what it indicates; display or not display thumbs (for all persons), and a page menu option permits overriding, with one connection search, that setting.  The other capability is what the TNG media setting does,  either does or doesn't display a 'dummy' image only for persons where no actual image exists.  That said, calling it compact  in Edit Options is probably better, since it is like TNG's other compact charts (and why I have been calling it since first requesting it).  Sorry for being lengthy in explaining.

klooster

Oké Michael,

• slashes shorter
  • max paths:  #maxR, color #000000 and width: 9ch 

/* START TNG MOD SEARCH CONNECTIONS */

#pathlist .slashes {
font-size: 0.6em; 
}

.paths {
background-color: #F4EFDA ;
}

#maxR {
color: #000000 ;
width: 9ch ;
}

.pers {
font-family: 'Open Sans', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 14px ;
line-height: 1.4 ;
font-weight: 400 ;
background-color: #FFF6CA ;
}

.pers a:link {
}

div.spantxt {
font-family: 'Open Sans', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 14px ;
font-size: 16px ;
background-color: #E8D9B0 ;
}

.spantxt a:link {
font-size: 17px ;
}

/* END TNG MOD SEARCH CONNECTIONS */

Schermafbeelding 2021-02-25 om 21.25.22.png

Ken Roy
49 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

but it's not really worded wrong, it does what it indicates; display or not display thumbs (for all persons), and a page menu option permits overriding, with one connection search, that setting. 

Ron,

Maybe it is not worded incorrectly,  but your issue with the TNG default images showing a shadow only occurs if users change this option to false.   I do not think the other TNG charts offer an option to display the default photo or not, so some place it needs to be documented that this option is to provide the same capability as the Compact Ancestor or Descendant charts.  To me it is not obvious that the option is to create a Compact connection view

tngrlkrz
28 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

TNG default images showing a shadow only occurs if users change this option to false

I agree the problem only arises if users change the standard TNG option of Admin:Media:Show Default Thumbs 'to 'No', then the mod displays bar and shadows. And yes, the Edit Option stating it as  'compact' is OK since the entire chart is impacted, rather than just some boxes.

Ken Roy

Michal,

Maybe just change the Edit Option to show

Choose whether to display a thumbnail preceding the name in boxes.

If true, display standard charts.  If false display compact charts.  The default is (true)

or something similar. 

mjaro
5 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Michal,

Maybe just change the Edit Option to show

or something similar. 

I've also added:

Note: if TNG option  <em>Admin:Media:Show Default Thumbs</em>  is set to 'No',
the thumbnail display option is <b>forced to false</b> independent of the value set here.

(please correct if my English is too bad)

Thx, Michał

mjaro
1 hour ago, klooster said:

Oké Michael,

👍

theKiwi
56 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

I agree the problem only arises if users change the standard TNG option of Admin:Media:Show Default Thumbs 'to 'No', then the mod displays bar and shadows. 

Except it didn't do that on my site - with the TNG Option set to NOT use Default images, there was just an empty space - like this one for my Dad

image.png

there is no bar and shadow showing up. This is in TNG without WordPress

http://tngwp.lisaandroger.com/tng_13.0/connections.php?altprimarypersonID=&amp;savedpersonID=I1&amp;secondpersonID=&amp;maxR=99&amp;showTxt=true&amp;showPic=true&amp;sortpathsby=length&amp;maxL=33&amp;showGend=true&amp;primarypersonID=I16&amp;tree=Roger

This is the same thing on WordPress

http://tngwp.lisaandroger.com/genealogy/connections.php?altprimarypersonID=&amp;savedpersonID=I1&amp;secondpersonID=&amp;maxR=99&amp;showTxt=true&amp;showPic=true&amp;sortpathsby=length&amp;maxL=33&amp;showGend=true&amp;primarypersonID=I16&amp;tree=Roger

again no bar and shadow in my Dad's box.

Roger

tngrlkrz

Well now I am thoroughly confused.  I will double check, but it happens on a clean (no other mods installed) TNG 13.0.3 sandbox.  Got to be configuration differences somewhere.  

Edit:Update:  Gosh, thought I had checked this on a clean site.  No shadow and I am red faced on this.  Got to be some other modification in my pre-production test site.  Apologies for leading down wrong path.  I guess when Fluffy82 said he has similar behavior...thought it confirmed it.

Sorry:☹️ (couldn't find a red emoji).

Ken Roy
51 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Note: if TNG option  <em>Admin:Media:Show Default Thumbs</em>  is set to 'No',
the thumbnail display option is <b>forced to false</b> independent of the value set here.

Michal,

I do not think that is correct.  My TNG Setup > General Settings > Media  - Use default thumbnails: option is set to No.
I have installed your v4a on my production site and only the default thumbnails are suppressed if no default image is available.

I think Ron is the only one trying to get Compact charts with no images.  Sort of why I recommended the wording for the Edit Option be changed to

Choose whether to display a thumbnail preceding the name in boxes. If true = show standard, if false show compact charts  The default is (true)

Ken Roy
19 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

Well now I am thoroughly confused.  I will double check, but it happens on a clean (no other mods installed) TNG 13.0.3 sandbox.  Got to be configuration differences somewhere.  

Ron,

What options are you setting?  When I change the Edit Option for

Choose whether to display a thumbnail preceding the name in boxes. The default is (true)

to false, I still get the standard size charts and images

So I am completely confused as well, since I also never saw a border when suppressing default image icons.

tngrlkrz

Ken is correct.  There are two independent scenarios.  TNG has option to suppress *only* generic thumbnails, whereas the Edit Option gives option to hide *all* thumbnails.  Whether I am the only one, if I am outvoted and it complicates matters, take out the option and I can do myself a one line coding change.

tngrlkrz
8 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

to false, I still get the standard size charts and images

Ken,  I found I have to reload or clear cache, or perhaps start a new search.  Hitting the menu tab 'refresh' isn't enough.  You should be seeing this with the edit option 'false' for thumbs.  

image.png

Ken Roy

I cannot create the Compact view with no images as you show,  What other changes did you you make? 

theKiwi
6 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

I cannot create the Compact view with no images as you show,  What other changes did you you make? 

Ken - go to this page

http://tngwp.lisaandroger.com/tng_13.0/connections.php?maxR=99&amp;showPic=false&amp;showTxt=true&amp;sortpathsby=length&amp;maxL=33&amp;showGend=true&amp;primarypersonID=I16&amp;savedpersonID=I1&amp;tree=Roger

and toggle the thumb setting in the innermenu bar - I have the TNG option set to not show default images for this site currently.

This is Michal's mod, with my colour changes applied, and the star instead of bullet - no other changes.

Roger

mjaro
11 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Please set to No either Show thumbnails: in the Connections Form or Thumbs: (and then Refresh) in the Connections tab

Ken Roy

So what purpose does the Edit Option perform if you have to make a choice in the Connections form?

tngrlkrz
22 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

This is with no changes, Ken.  Admin:Media:Show Thumbnails: 'no' and Edit Options: Choose whether to display a thumbnail preceding the name in boxes set to 'true.

As far as any further modification, I say just leave as is, all is OK, since the shadow issue is of my own doing, and all else works as expected.  Sorry to have wasted people's time in this rabbit hole.

tngrlkrz
3 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

So what purpose does the Edit Option perform if you have to make a choice in the Connections form?

Ken, the menu option does the same as the Edit Option.  Changing the Edit Option in Mod Mgr is not immediate on changing the default menu option, and it might not take effect until a cache or reload, in my experience.

Ken Roy

Except that when I change the 2 options to false for

• Choose whether to display a textual path statement above the graphical presentation of each path. The default is (true)
  • Choose whether to display a thumbnail preceding the name in boxes. The default is (true)

neither appear to have any effect

Ken Roy
4 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Except that when I change the 2 options to false for

• Choose whether to display a textual path statement above the graphical presentation of each path. The default is (true)
  • Choose whether to display a thumbnail preceding the name in boxes. The default is (true)

After you change the Edit Options, if you do NOT change form option as well it does not appear to work,

tngrlkrz
1 minute ago, Ken Roy said:

Those have always worked for me, but, I clean the slate by closing TNG down, clearing cache, and reloading.  Heck, to be honest, because of some css issues I occasionally have, I actually batch uninstall all mods after making the edit option changes and reinstall. It's very quick.  I know, I shouldn't have to do this, but it works.

tngrlkrz
1 minute ago, Ken Roy said:

if you do NOT change form option as well it does not appear to work,

The menu defaults will change to the Edit Options, but only after doing a clean reload, as I noted, they don't seem to be immediate.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.