TNG Community
theKiwi

Search for Connections Mod

tngrlkrz

Michal,

Here's an example of when a top box has shadow and when it doesn't.  If there's no step up and back down (1st diagram below), then no shadow on the top box.  This is understandable and likely appropriate because the connecting lines might be obscured by the shadow.  BTW...in the example, the shadow had been reduced from 4px, to 3px, which I think looks better.

image.png

BTW...I know, colors don't match...I intentionally using the 'out of the box' mod for this example, except for the shadow reduction.

tngrlkrz
55 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Why is it I'm jumped on when I make a suggestion?

Not the intent to make you feel that way. But you came with such strong words 'severely loathe' that can generate some reaction. 😑  I just know so many charts are shadowed, and you will need a lot of mods or changes to the numerous charts that have TNG shadows.  And thanks for suggesting draggability to Darrin,  and also being able to zoom them as well. Liked that so much I authored a small mod to do that my way with mouse wheel zoom.

(and yes, in private mod, can remove the containers, and also give an option to users to remove the photos for a condensed look).

manofmull

Ron

No problem, no big deal.

I really like the container and mini photos but others will not, I understand that.

tngrlkrz
1 minute ago, manofmull said:

mini photos

Don't misunderstand.  I like having images as well, but on many of my pages with images of any sort, for a more compressed look, I present the option  to view the page either way.

mjaro
10 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Michal,

Here's an example of when a top box has shadow and when it doesn't.  If there's no step up and back down (1st diagram below), then no shadow on the top box.  This is understandable and likely appropriate because the connecting lines might be obscured by the shadow.  BTW...in the example, the shadow had been reduced from 4px, to 3px, which I think looks better.

image.png

BTW...I know, colors don't match...I intentionally using the 'out of the box' mod for this example, except for the shadow reduction.

Ron, in the connections_v13.0.2.3a.cfg there is lack of definition of --cl1 color (to be copied to genstyle).

In the genstyle.css I see you've added it "by hand" for .pers (am I right?), and the same is needed for .spantxt. (finally, it should be defined just before --cl2).

Edit: I see it wasn't explained clearly in my older post starting with "Wrrrr". Mybe it's time to release an update ? (or next "beta"?)

Michał

tngrlkrz
21 hours ago, mjaro said:

Aftter #pathlist .pers {

should be  before its closing }

box-shadow: 4px 4px 4px var(--cl1);

Edit: And the color variable  definition should be put earlier

--cl1: #bba28c; /* box shadow */

Hi Michal,  ..I followed your instructions and the shadows appeared  as I showed in my last snapshot.  Not sure what you meant 'by hand' since I put them into the cfg to be copied to genstyle.css.  However, I did reduce the shadow by 1px.

#pathlist .pers {
    min-width: 110px;
    max-width: 250px;
    border: 1px solid black;
    border-radius: 5px;
    text-align: center;
    background-color: var(--bg2);
    --cl1: #bba28c; /* box shadow */    
    box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px var(--cl1);

#pathlist .spantxt {
    display:inline-block;
    min-width: 200px; /* prawie 2*pers */
    padding: 1px 5px 1px 5px;
    border: 1px solid black; /* here is visible border for parent */
    border-radius: 5px;
    background-color: var(--bg2);
    box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px var(--cl1);

Is there more needed? Things looked good to me, except for the unshadowed box.

fluffy82

Not sure if it is an "error" in the mod, or if I just misunderstand the use of it.

When I search for example between my (maternal) 2nd GG-father and my (paternal) 2nd cousin 4x removed, with "max. steps" and "max. results" set to 99, the mod gives only one result (path): going down from person 1 to my mother, then from my father upwards to my 5x GG-father, and back down to person 2. That is indeed the shortest path between them.

But... They are also related through my 26x GG father, who is a direct ancestor of both. They are only 44 steps apart, so less than the max. of 99. Why doesn't this show as an existing connection? And even though I put "99" steps as maximum, the result mentions that it stopped searching after 16 steps (the one it found).

Are direct relationships intentionally ignored?

mjaro
53 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

Is there more needed?

Still .spantxt lacks of the --cl1 definition. Set it either locally as you did in .pers, or better -what was intended- in the #pathlist (to be visible to all nested elements including .pers and .spantxt).

Sorry for that my stupid omission this is causing so much troubles :( 

tngrlkrz
2 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Still .spantxt lacks of the --cl1 definition. Set it either locally as you did in .pers, or better -what was intended- in the #pathlist (to be visible to all nested elements including .pers and .spantxt).

Sorry for that my stupid omission this is causing so much troubles :( 

No worries.  I am puttering around with TNG 13.0.3 mod issues (your mod is OK) right now.

mjaro
58 minutes ago, fluffy82 said:

Are direct relationships intentionally ignored?

No, they are not ignored. Probably 99 search runs is just not enough. Please check in the search summary (below the last diagram) how long the longest checked path was (I guess <<26). Maybe 999 runs will be enough?

tngrlkrz

OK Michal,

Finally got all boxes with shadows! Sorry it took me so long to get it right.  Looks good.  Only mild suggestion would to put a little more vertical space between boxes, but not necessary.  Even a 3px shadow nearly reaches the box below.

image.png

mjaro

I've just released mod version 13.0.2.3a. 

Most of the suggested changes has been introduced, incl.Dutch translation.

Big thanks for all helpers here end "my beta-testers" ! 

Michał

P.S. I still have a long ToDo list, and wait for next improvement proposals!

mjaro
7 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

put a little more vertical space between boxes

Done also!

tngrlkrz
3 hours ago, mjaro said:

Done also!

The 2px pad you added to #pathlist .paths didn't seem to make a difference in vertical space. I even increased to 4px, but no change.  Maybe in the wrong place?

mjaro
14 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

The 2px pad you added to #pathlist .paths didn't seem to make a difference in vertical space. I even increased to 4px, but no change.  Maybe in the wrong place?

This increases only the internal margins of the rectangle surrounding the diagram (to leave a free space after the shadows were added).

I procrastinate(?) with increasing the vertical spaces because my diagram is a pure html rather than graphical, and there is a problem with the lines between boxes as they are just ...characters. If the space increases, the characters must grow also. Let me think about it and give you a proposal.

If you want to play with it - it is "7px" here:

#pathlist .paths { ...

... border-spacing: 0 7px;

Michał 

tngrlkrz

Michal,

I only suggested if it were easy to do. Don't spend any more time on it. No one else has indicated the desire.  It's not that important and looks good as it is.  

mahesh

Love this mod. I have been using Cousins mod but found that it did not find half-cousins.

I have very minor issue which may be due to my WAMP set up.

Last three display lines are getting jumbled.

coneections-eror.jpg

I changed the margin-top in line 385: from  -.9em to .9em to clear the display.

coneections-corrected.jpg

echo "<p style='margin-top:0.9em;'>$newstr</p>\n"; # (the longest path checked was $longestSoFar)

This seems to work.

mjaro
9 minutes ago, mahesh said:

Last three display lines are getting jumbled.

Frankly speaking, my code of these lines is really dirty. I tried to quick trim interline spacing and avoid creating special new css styles for this specific case... I 'm adding the case to my ToDo list. 

Sorry for the jumble... and thanks for the info.

Michał

mahesh
3 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Frankly speaking, my code of these lines is really dirty. I tried to quick trim interline spacing and avoid creating special new css styles for this specific case... I 'm adding the case to my ToDo list. 

Sorry for the jumble... and thanks for the info.

Michał

No worries, Michal. I am still amazed and impressed with what you have done.

I wrote couple of Wordprss plugins a while back, and still finding silly errors.😊

tngrlkrz

Michal,

You had a todo list, and I had suggested an option to have gender icon follow the name, similar to nearly all other pedigree and descendant charts (except the text).  It is even the default on those charts, I think.  Images do not necessarily make the gender obvious.  In fact I don't use the 'dummy' icon for people without a photo. Could that be on the list?  I have tried to add it myself, but haven't yet succeeded getting it into the html properly.

mjaro
59 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

Michal,

You had a todo list, and I had suggested an option to have gender icon follow the name, similar to nearly all other pedigree and descendant charts (except the text).  It is even the default on those charts, I think.  Images do not necessarily make the gender obvious.  In fact I don't use the 'dummy' icon for people without a photo. Could that be on the list?  I have tried to add it myself, but haven't yet succeeded getting it into the html properly.

Only now did I understand that you meant a small blue or red "sprite" rather than icon? I also see that's a good idea, thanks for suggestion. OK, added to the ToDo, it should be simple, please don't take away the fun of coding this. 

theKiwi
7 minutes ago, mjaro said:

please don't take away the fun of coding this

At the end of the day, that is the most important thing - when it stops being fun, then stop doing it :-)

Roger

tngrlkrz
1 hour ago, mjaro said:

small blue or red "sprite" rather than icon

Sorry for my miswording,  even in TNG code, there is a function GetGenderIcon to get it, so I guess I don't understand the distinction of sprite vs. icon.  Thought those were the tiny 'icons'(forgive me) sitting on the menu tabs.LOL

Found this:

A sprite is something you interface with. For instance, a sprite may represent a character or an item in a video game.

An icon is a direct representation of something else. For example, an icon that links to the contents of a hard drive would be a picture of a hard drive.

A symbol is a direct or indirect representation of something else. For example, a symbol of train tracks may represent literal train tracks, whereas a cross may figuratively represent a Christian church.

So maybe it's a symbol.  😊Oh well.  .

it should be simple,

Perhaps for you....😐

mjaro
1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

Perhaps

Ron, please check if it is what you expect. (just copy the file to the root and replace the previously copied by the mod).

I will add proper colors, and maybe make the symbold more "bold"? I wonder how to deal with no-man no-women: use neutral gender symbol, or leave it empty (I see there are more and more people getting it into account...)

connections.php

theKiwi
1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

Sorry for my miswording,  even in TNG code, there is a function GetGenderIcon to get it, so I guess I don't understand the distinction of sprite vs. icon.  Thought those were the tiny 'icons'(forgive me) sitting on the menu tabs.LOL

This is the definition of a CSS sprite as it applies to what TNG is doing with the tiny graphics on the tabs - the "sprite" in question is a .gif image file made up of all the icons joined together into a single image

image.png

that the webserver has to send only once, then the TNG css code uses just the part of the image applicable for each tab

https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_image_sprites.asp

For the red and blue female/male icons that TNG uses, they are actually individual files tng_male.gif and tng_female.gif, rather than coming from a css sprite.

Roger

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.