TNG Community

Search for Connections Mod

theKiwi

I have not been following this thread but i use the Connections Mod ver. 13.1.0.7a offline and it runs fine for me... Setup in signature

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjaro

• tngrlkrz

• Ken Roy

• theKiwi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like this Mod, but I seem to have one problem that I just noticed:

(I'm on TNG 13.1.2 running on PHP 7.4.30, Connections Mod 13.1.0.7)

Having run a connections search, viewing the results, I click the Refresh menu item in the Tab-line. Result is an error message: "Bad maxMarriages parameter"

Yes, I have experimented with the last option (max number of marriages) on the mod options page, but it is now reset to the default of 9. Still the error!

What can I do about it?

2 hours ago, JTSolem said:

error message: "Bad maxMarriages parameter"

Hi, please follow steps below:

On 4/19/2022 at 11:08 PM, mjaro said:

Please use ModManager to uninstal AND DELETE the version you run with the problem, then install 7a.

Connections_v13.1.0.7a.zip

I hope it helps.

Sorry for troubles,

Michał

I just noticed something strange while using the Connections mod:
Communicating with a relative, I sent a link to show the several ways we are connected. One of the more distant ways, is a straight up-and-down common ancestor chart like this:

Mogens_Descendant.jpg

I'm in the lower right, talking to Eldrid (lower left). So far so good!

Now, I selected Eldrid's daughter in TNG, and ran the Connections again, but this time this connection to our common ancestor does not show at all!

Why is that? One too maany steps? This should be one of the simple connections for the Connections Mod, and yes, it does show up in the standard TNG relationship chart!

I have tried several of the options on the Connections options page, but no better results?

What can I do?

About foster-/adopted- relationships:

My father grew up with foster-parents from his infancy (the family I know and love) , but he had good relations with his birth-mother as long as she lived.

He (and many others in my database) is registered with two sets of parents in TNG: One set as birth-parents, and one set as foster-parents.

The Connections mod shows connections between two people, if there is one (also through foster-relationships), regardless. All well and good!
I do however, wish I had an option to select to show some sort of notification on the results chart, f.ex. just a word 'foster' or some sort of icon, to show that "there is something to notice here".

(I do realise that adopted relationships might have to be treated differently from foster relationships, as that might be more sensitive?)

Any thought, TNG world?

1 hour ago, JTSolem said:

I just noticed something strange while using the Connections mod:

Have you tried to run the mod with Max Paths parameter much larger than default 99? e.g., 200 or even 1000 (it can take more time to complete calculations!)

1 hour ago, JTSolem said:

option to select to show some sort of notification

It IS possible to add such a message, or even to hide such connections. I'll add it to my ToDo list...

14 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Have you tried to run the mod with Max Paths parameter much larger than default 99? e.g., 200 or even 1000 (it can take more time to complete calculations!) 

I have tried upping the limit, but never went that 'wild' before ;-)

Now I did; tried different values, and ended up on 300 to show the chart (with said daughter) in the example above.
(The result for this particular chart was: "Path 6 found in search step 124 (path length is 17 incl. 0 marriages)", so that might explain why it wasn't found before.)

I'm now a "happy camper", thank you for the tip!

2 minutes ago, JTSolem said:

ended up on 300 to show the chart (with said daughter)

This is a very nature of the algorithm running on a big database. It treats the same way every "neigbour" of a person - either son, parent, spouse, foster-parent, etc. The number of different paths ("connections") between two persons in the database graph is really large, and all of them must be examined. The paths analysed are longer and longer: when all the paths of the length 16 are found, then the paths of the length 17 start to be discovered. There can be twice as many paths of length 17 as there were 16. The order of finding them is random (from the human point of view). This explains your case of the paths to spouse and daughter. 

Moreover, only a few paths are ultimately shown - most of them are trivially similar to those shown earlier (e.g. the "son-father-second son" sequence is equivalent to "son-mother-second son", although the paths are different for the algorithm). This explains slightly different outcomes after swapping the start and end persons.

Have a fun using my mod 😉

• 1 month later...

I uninstalled version 3.1.0.7a (working fine on my TNG 13.1.2), and downloaded (from the wiki) version 13.1.0.9.

* editing /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/xxxxx/mods/connections_v13.1.0.9.cfg
    * target file connections-form.php parameter missing: $commonAncestoropt The new version seems to work, but trying to Edit Options gives me an error message:

Did I miss a step, or what can I do?

I'm sorry for this error - I couldn't upload proper file for a few hours, now it is OK. (BTW I still cannot update Mods for TNG v13 page).

You should download the mod again (zip file is now corrected under the same name), uninstall and then install new files. (dirty solution is just to replace cfg file without reinstalling).

Sorry again, I hope you will be successful 👍

4 minutes ago, mjaro said:

BTW I still cannot update Mods for TNG v13 page

Why are you not able to update the TNG Wiki page?  What kind of errors are you getting?

Did you try to use Edit Source instead of Edit.  That error appears to be the Visual Editor which is javascript that I do not understand.

It is also possible that Simply Hosting needs to take action.  I will pass this on to Darrin since I do not have a Simply Hosting account nor do I have access to the TNG MediaWiki server other than through FTP.

13 minutes ago, mjaro said:

You should download the mod again (zip file is now corrected under the same name), uninstall and then install new files. (dirty solution is just to replace cfg file without reinstalling). 

Yes, that worked! I set the first option to 5 seconds just to test. at the end (bottom) of the results, it says:
Time limit 2 seconds exceeded

Is that correct, or do I need to clear cache etc. after setting options?

10 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

try to use Edit Source

Then I receive:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

From time to time I'm suddenly able to send message or edit a page. My impression is that Simply Hosting is not a good hoster... Is it free? For some users searching a connection takes 10 times(!) longer than I need on my 4-year laptop, or when using my hoster.

(Sorry to bother you again)

Michał

31 minutes ago, JTSolem said:

Is that correct, or do I need to clear cache etc. after setting options?

If the maxTime has been set (or default used) during the current session, its value has higher priority than the mod option. When a new session starts it reads the mod option. This is inentional and concerns all parameters of my mod. (I'll see how it is coded in other mods...)

Darrin Lythgoe

The host has made more changes to hopefully alleviate this. Please try again, then feel free to contact me directly (darrin@lythgoes.net) if the problem persists.

Hello,

I have installed the Connections mod, and get 

length : bad person1 ID - please go back and correct

The Person ID is I97841102

The problem happens with ID length over 6 digits.

How can I fix this?

The mod is very helpful for those people it works with.

Thank you,

Bud

4 hours ago, Bud Conroy said:

The problem happens with ID length over 6 digits.

Bud,

For security reason the ID sent to the program is verified before use. I've assumed that no database bigger than million people would be used, and thus no such big numbers could be used in an ID. If you, however, use IDs containing such numbers, I can craft the form just for your needs. Please give me a few days as I'm far from my PC temporarily. 

Thanks for your interest in my mod,

Michał

Hello, Michal,

I import many families from my desktop program. When I do so, TNG increments the ID number by the number of people in the database. I have 44,000 people in my tree, but my current highest ID number is I99996803. One family import ended with I99852387 and the next family started with I99900515. I don't know how to eliminate this, so I just live with it.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Stay well, Bud

On 8/26/2022 at 2:05 PM, Bud Conroy said:

I resequenced my IDs

Oh, it's great that you handled the problem this way. So my modification of the program will not be needed.

Wish you enjoy using the mod!

Michał

Rob Severijns

@mjaro

I just installed the connections mod and it absolutely has added value. Thank you for that and all who contributed.

There is just one question I have atm.

What is the added value of keeping the relationship tab visible once the connections mod is installed?

As far as I can see now the relationships tab might as well be hidden once the connections mod is installed.

It could be hidden either by default once the connections mod is installed or via an option in the options menu of the connections mod.

Not sure if this can be done easily but it was just a thought.

Thanks in advance for any response.