• mjaro

• tngrlkrz

• Ken Roy

• theKiwi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mjaro said:

Done also!

The 2px pad you added to #pathlist .paths didn't seem to make a difference in vertical space. I even increased to 4px, but no change.  Maybe in the wrong place?

14 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

The 2px pad you added to #pathlist .paths didn't seem to make a difference in vertical space. I even increased to 4px, but no change.  Maybe in the wrong place?

This increases only the internal margins of the rectangle surrounding the diagram (to leave a free space after the shadows were added).

I procrastinate(?) with increasing the vertical spaces because my diagram is a pure html rather than graphical, and there is a problem with the lines between boxes as they are just ...characters. If the space increases, the characters must grow also. Let me think about it and give you a proposal.

If you want to play with it - it is "7px" here:

#pathlist .paths { ...

... border-spacing: 0 7px;

Michał 

Michal,

I only suggested if it were easy to do. Don't spend any more time on it. No one else has indicated the desire.  It's not that important and looks good as it is.  

Love this mod. I have been using Cousins mod but found that it did not find half-cousins.

I have very minor issue which may be due to my WAMP set up.

Last three display lines are getting jumbled.

coneections-eror.jpg

I changed the margin-top in line 385: from  -.9em to .9em to clear the display.

coneections-corrected.jpg

echo "<p style='margin-top:0.9em;'>$newstr</p>\n"; # (the longest path checked was $longestSoFar)

This seems to work.

9 minutes ago, mahesh said:

Last three display lines are getting jumbled.

Frankly speaking, my code of these lines is really dirty. I tried to quick trim interline spacing and avoid creating special new css styles for this specific case... I 'm adding the case to my ToDo list. 

Sorry for the jumble... and thanks for the info.

Michał

3 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Frankly speaking, my code of these lines is really dirty. I tried to quick trim interline spacing and avoid creating special new css styles for this specific case... I 'm adding the case to my ToDo list. 

Sorry for the jumble... and thanks for the info.

Michał

No worries, Michal. I am still amazed and impressed with what you have done.

I wrote couple of Wordprss plugins a while back, and still finding silly errors.😊

Michal,

You had a todo list, and I had suggested an option to have gender icon follow the name, similar to nearly all other pedigree and descendant charts (except the text).  It is even the default on those charts, I think.  Images do not necessarily make the gender obvious.  In fact I don't use the 'dummy' icon for people without a photo. Could that be on the list?  I have tried to add it myself, but haven't yet succeeded getting it into the html properly.

59 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

Michal,

You had a todo list, and I had suggested an option to have gender icon follow the name, similar to nearly all other pedigree and descendant charts (except the text).  It is even the default on those charts, I think.  Images do not necessarily make the gender obvious.  In fact I don't use the 'dummy' icon for people without a photo. Could that be on the list?  I have tried to add it myself, but haven't yet succeeded getting it into the html properly.

Only now did I understand that you meant a small blue or red "sprite" rather than icon? I also see that's a good idea, thanks for suggestion. OK, added to the ToDo, it should be simple, please don't take away the fun of coding this. 

7 minutes ago, mjaro said:

please don't take away the fun of coding this

At the end of the day, that is the most important thing - when it stops being fun, then stop doing it :-)

Roger

1 hour ago, mjaro said:

small blue or red "sprite" rather than icon

Sorry for my miswording,  even in TNG code, there is a function GetGenderIcon to get it, so I guess I don't understand the distinction of sprite vs. icon.  Thought those were the tiny 'icons'(forgive me) sitting on the menu tabs.LOL

Found this:

A sprite is something you interface with. For instance, a sprite may represent a character or an item in a video game.

An icon is a direct representation of something else. For example, an icon that links to the contents of a hard drive would be a picture of a hard drive.

A symbol is a direct or indirect representation of something else. For example, a symbol of train tracks may represent literal train tracks, whereas a cross may figuratively represent a Christian church.

So maybe it's a symbol.  😊Oh well.  .

it should be simple,

Perhaps for you....😐

1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

Perhaps

Ron, please check if it is what you expect. (just copy the file to the root and replace the previously copied by the mod).

I will add proper colors, and maybe make the symbold more "bold"? I wonder how to deal with no-man no-women: use neutral gender symbol, or leave it empty (I see there are more and more people getting it into account...)

connections.php

1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

Sorry for my miswording,  even in TNG code, there is a function GetGenderIcon to get it, so I guess I don't understand the distinction of sprite vs. icon.  Thought those were the tiny 'icons'(forgive me) sitting on the menu tabs.LOL

This is the definition of a CSS sprite as it applies to what TNG is doing with the tiny graphics on the tabs - the "sprite" in question is a .gif image file made up of all the icons joined together into a single image

image.png

that the webserver has to send only once, then the TNG css code uses just the part of the image applicable for each tab

https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_image_sprites.asp

For the red and blue female/male icons that TNG uses, they are actually individual files tng_male.gif and tng_female.gif, rather than coming from a css sprite.

Roger

Ron, and Roger,

forgive me, please, my nomenclature imperfectness. I've even checked the wikipedia and know that TNG "sprite" is what is commonly used for such construct. BTW my mod is adding one sprite at the very end:

If you accept the way I'm displaying gender symbols or give me directions, I'll finish the feature tomorrow (there is midnight here) - so have a good night.

Michał

tng_small_icon_sprites.gif

11 minutes ago, mjaro said:

If you accept the way I'm displaying gender symbols or give me directions, I'll finish the feature tomorrow (there is midnight here) - so have a good night.

My suggestion would be to use the same two icons that TNG uses - img/tng_male.gif and img/tng_female.gif

Roger

13 hours ago, mjaro said:

Ron, please check if it is what you expect. (just copy the file to the root and replace the previously copied by the mod).

I will add proper colors, and maybe make the symbold more "bold"? I wonder how to deal with no-man no-women: use neutral gender symbol, or leave it empty (I see there are more and more people getting it into account...)

connections.php

Yes,  Michal, those look good.  But as Roger suggests, the TNG gifs are there and are already colored and accessed with the  'function getGenderIcon($gender, $valign)'  within globallib.php, but for some reason the size came out wrong when I tried the other day.  I don't see any bolding of the gif.

13 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

colored

Ron, OK, they are colored now - please find attached connection.php.

I've decided to not to use TNG function (BTW it is extremely simple) because it makes trouble (for me) to play with 2 images, and I use my own function (equally simple) which selects proper character (symbol) and makes it coloured. Probably a long-term solution could be to use the whole graphical TNG boxes but it results in a general recoding of the paths display

I'm ready to increase a bit the vertical space between boxes. Increasing it by 2-3 px seems to me should satisfy you. If you want to play with it please change in genstyle.css (possibly with your private mod):

#pathlist .paths {   then several lines down:

border-spacing: 0 7px;   ----- here you can increase 7px to eg. 9px

Look only on the spacing! If you tell me your favourite spacing, then I'll change dependencies (this is too tricky to explain here).

Michał

P.S. I've also made whole boxes clickable - please check it.

connections.php

Michal,

Left to Right in snapshot below.

1.Left ,Your gender colors and 7px spacing

2.Next instead tried color:#3333ff and color:#ff3300,  red a bit more visible. Difficult with the default background because quite dark, this I would privately change to match templates and the gender icons would stand out more.

3.Next vertical spacing 10px

4.Right vertical spacing 9px

I think 10px spacing looks best.

2021-02-21_8-25-36.jpg

With lighter background, this is TNG's look: (11px*11px) size.

image.png

6 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

the gender icons would stand out more.

I've initially tried to set simply "blue" and "red" but they seemed to me too distinctive...

I'll now trim css to 10px v-spacing. 

33 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

'blue' and 'red' look fine

Ron, then I'll use them and 10px in the next cfg.

Now I'm testing an option for not diplaying thumbs in boxes. I think it could be put in forms in place of "Max path length" which is hardly understandable for users... (maxL will still stay as the mod option, but not per-search as now). I'll send the updated files when finished.

Did you notice that boxes are clickable, and not only names inside? There were only a few jQuery words needed, it's power is fantastic!

Michał

Yes!  I forgot to mention...that indeed is a nice feature, being able to click anywhere in the box.  An option for no thumbs or a compact chart would be great, as I mentioned early on.

Michal,

What changed that the small photos are no longer shown?

Edited - Disregard - I did not have my Default Photo Path mod installed, so it was not finding the photos

Edited by Ken Roy
answer my own quest

I just installed the version that was uploaded today. Great job :)

Three remarks, however:

• I see you didn't include the Dutch text file I sent last night yet; not a problem for me at all, but be aware that I made some corrections/improvements so what is online now is not entirely correct
  • for some reason, the gender icons are displaying in a weird way (see attachment)...
  • also something I could do myself, but it might be useful for others too so you might consider adding it to the main file: the text below the graphics ("longest path checked" etc) now consists out of 3 separate <p> blocks, without any distinction; on my personal website they are not displaying correctly, and there is no easy way to edit their location as changing any css for <p> will break it on other pages... --> It would be great if those <p>'s would be within their own distinguishable div (just like the ul of the graphic part is distinguishable from other ul's through the pathlist id and class)

Regards,
Tom

icons.PNG

Michal,

With version 13.0.2.4,  I am not seeing what Tom is, but realize, for me, WP is not in the mix. The gender icons are displaying correctly with one exception (pictured).  The bolded subject person box, it drops down to the next text line.  I suspect its because of the bolding, and the slightly larger thumbnail perhaps. Otherwise the new option to display or not display the thumbs functions fine.  

The vertical spacing between boxes is nice, and the connector lines from top boxes extended properly as well.

I will try to submit Czech translations sometime this week.  German looks good!  And the bullet circle on the primary person is more visible, and the box click works too.

Nice job!

image.png

image.png