TNG Community

Search for Connections Mod

theKiwi

Michel,

I've corrected a little error in one file (as detected by Jurgen) and need an advice how to proceed: 1. release a new mod sub-version, or 2. replace only one file in the zip, and re-upload it, or 3. add french and german translations and release a new mod (sub-)version 

(Other qiestion - I also see that the mod Wiki page starts with a strange short text just uder the title; how to correct it? Can it be a consequence of my faolt while editing the page?)

Michał 

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjaro

• tngrlkrz

• Ken Roy

• theKiwi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

vor 24 Minuten schrieb mjaro:

aren't you a programmer?

No, no, I am NOT a programmer. 😁

Just an interested layman who gets his results mostly by comparison and trial and error.

Jürgen

6 minutes ago, JPB said:

No, no, I am NOT a programmer. 😁

Just an interested layman who gets his results mostly by comparison and trial and error.

Jürgen

Jürgen, I'm not a programmer, too.

Believe me, just one year ago I could only "program" in the ModManager language. And then I discovered the other programming languages are even easier to use - Python, PHP7, JavaScript, ...

40 minutes ago, mjaro said:

the mod Wiki page starts with a strange short text just uder the title; how to correct it?

Edit: I see Brett just have made correction. Thanks!

Michal,

Thank you so much for such a great mod that shows 6 paths between Dad and I, 9 paths between Mom and Dad, and 4 paths between Dad and Mom

Thanks for your patience with our feedback.  I have installed you Connections mod on my production site and updated the Sites Using table.

I would recommend that you use the version number of the mod on your folder name to avoid confusion and problems

Michel KIRSCH
3 hours ago, mjaro said:

I've corrected a little error in one file (as detected by Jurgen) and need an advice how to proceed:

Michal,

when modifying the mod, the best solution is to release a new mod sub version.

So you can trace which version a user uses when he have a problem.

Michel

2 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Thanks for your patience with our feedback.

Ken, it is an honor and a pleasure to read such kind words about my work, written by the master. I'm delighted! Thank you!

57 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

when modifying the mod, the best solution is to release a new mod sub version

Michel, in the meantime I've finished testing also other changes and decided to release a new full-version - before I could read your answer (which will be applied next time). Thanks

Michał

Michel KIRSCH

Michal,

EDIT : OK on my online site. Problem only occurs on my local site. Sorry !

Michel

connections v3.JPG

connections v2.JPG

Michel,

Is your first screen capture v3?  I have not looked at v3 yet but since Roger had sent me his mod for the color changes I have on my site he sent me an email that the css styles are now in genstyle.css so they should now be easier to override for each template

5 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Michel,

Is your first screen capture v3?  I have not looked at v3 yet but since Roger had sent me his mod for the color changes I have on my site he sent me an email that the css styles are now in genstyle.css so they should now be easier to override for each template

I'll update capture soon (my oversight).

Styles now are in the genstyle.css. BTW they could be overrided even in prevoius version but that way was not typical for TNG.

53 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

OK on my online site. Problem only occurs on my local site.

You should probably clear browser cache as the mod styles are now loaded from genstyle.css and not via link in meta.

How can I change the letters in brackets (s, c, p) in front of the name so that they correspond to German designations, or delete them all?

I tried to find a solution, but realize my limitations ...

I am looking for a personal solution, the mod does not need to be rewritten!!

Thanks

Jürgen

38 minutes ago, JPB said:

How can I change the letters in brackets (s, c, p) in front of the name so that they correspond to German designations, or delete them all?

I suppose ideally those characters would be set in the language files, so for each language it will show the first letter of the relevant word. (Hint/suggestion for @mjaro)

And I'm wondering whether a bullet • instead of an ampersand @ might be good for the starting person.

Roger

50 minutes ago, JPB said:

How can I change the letters in brackets

Unfortunately, these letters (and @) are hardcoded in the current version. They were not intended to be displayed; during the coding I used them initially as the only contents of boxes. Now I see different opinions about leaving them or hiding... BTW what is your vote?

Anyway, it could be easy to turn them into usual $text values. Let assume (I prefer to keep them short) they are in English:

$text['spo'] = "s"; $text['chi'] = "c"; $text['par'] = "p";

If you give me german letters I'll use them in the next release.

Roger, as you see I go similar direction. Bullet is more nice than @ (but less visible if you want to see it?) It can be $text['pri'] = "•";

Michał

10 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Roger, as you see I go similar direction. Bullet is more nice than @ (but less visible if you want to see it?) It can be $text['pri'] = "•";

I first thought of a star ★ from Unicode, but that might be messy on a site using ISO-8859-1 rather than UTF-8, but I can over-ride it to a star on my sites which all do run UTF-8

Roger

Michel KIRSCH
2 hours ago, mjaro said:

You should probably clear browser cache

you're a genius. I'm an idiot.

Thx Michal

3 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

you're a genius. I'm an idiot.

Thx Michal

I'm not sure... ;)  Don't be overly pessimistic.

Michel KIRSCH
4 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Is your first screen capture v3? 

Yes Ken it was. But as a newbie, i forgot to clear the cache. All is fine now...

Michel

Michel KIRSCH
1 hour ago, mjaro said:

$text['spo'] = "s"; $text['chi'] = "c"; $text['par'] = "p";

For french : $text['spo'] = "c"; $text['chi'] = "e"; $text['par'] = "p"; (c,e,p for Conjoint, Enfant, Parent)

Better is $text['spo'] = "(s)"; $text['chi'] = "(c)"; $text['par'] = "(p)";

so, If someone don't want to see these letters in front of the names, he can just set the variables = "";

Michel

6 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

For french : $text['spo'] = "c"; $text['chi'] = "e"; $text['par'] = "p"; (c,e,p for Conjoint, Enfant, Parent)

Better is $text['spo'] = "(s)"; $text['chi'] = "(c)"; $text['par'] = "(p)";

so, If someone don't want to see these letters in front of the names, he can just set the variables = "";

Michel

Good idea!

I'm now almost ready coding this. I'll include a space at the end eg. $text['par'] = "(p) ";

The primary person will be $text['pri'] = "(•) ";

Yes Michael,

It will look that way until you do a forced reload or clear your cache since the css definitions are now in genstyle.css you need to force the new genstyle.css to be reload.  Same problem Michel reported.

Not your problem, Michal, but since css code moved to genstyle.css (local Laragon site), no colors will take hold, in any browser, after cache clearing, essentially leaving it transparent.  The call from meta.php worked fine in prior version. So...will try moving the mytngstyle.css to see if that works.    My problem, I think...but first time have experienced this issue coming out of genstyle.css.  Have checked, all the code is there, but colors are ignored. SigH.something is awry with my css files, I guess.

Will unload all other mods to see if any effect.

Ron and Michel,

Does Laragon not allow the browser to do a forced reload to get new css files.

Michael and others,

To change the colors in mytngstyle.css you need to add something like the following in your template mytngstyle.css

/* Connections Mod style overrides */
#pathlist {
	--bgr: #f8f8f8; /* background of main cell (and invisible box border) */
	--bg1: #fff; /* background of person box on hover */
	--bg2: #dbedff; /* background of person box */
	--cl1: #bba28c; /* not used */
	--cl2: #111; /* text in box colour */
}

I used a private mod to install my changes to template20/css/mytngstyle.css

Edited - I use Color Schemer to find the colors I want.  There is a link to the color schemer in Admin > Setup > General Settings in the DNA test section

Edited by Ken Roy
add link to Color Schemer

Ken,

Yes, forced reload and cache clearing works fine...normally.  I did finally get genstyle and default colors to take properly when I uninstalled *all* mods.  Not sure why that was necessary.

Michael,

I wasn't changing colors...the default colors weren't being activated...so they were transparent.

Edit:Update...had same issue on remote site as on local site: for some mysterious reason, the mod's genstyle.css entries only kick in if I uninstall all mods first and then reinstall them, including the Connections mod.  I have no clue why since Michals' tags should be unique, but appears to be a css precedence issue of some sort. (and in all cases, I always clear cache in browsers).