TNG Community

Search for Connections Mod

theKiwi

14 minutes ago, manofmull said:

That's not exactly what I would call shorthand.

Thus I wrote "shorthand" in quotes ;) 

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjaro

• tngrlkrz

• Ken Roy

• theKiwi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Merci Michel,

That looks like your suggestion will work in French.   I do not know whether the same logic would apply in German since I do not read German.

Jürgen and Michael,

I see a way of creating sentences in which taking into account of both subject' and object' gender (it's probably a similar concept Jürgen mentioned) - according to the Michel's examples and french solution. It could be great if Jürgen could do german solution for me ;) 

This is just an  idea, since the mod appears still in the formative stage.  The mod could have a compact option, where, similar to some other compact charts, the image is not displayed, but instead just the gender after the name.  In the results listing, it would shorten the vertical space on the page when there are numerous paths displayed.  In this example, of course the gender would best be added.  It is still easy to follow without the images.  Here's an example I generated with just one line of code changed.  

with images

image.png

without images

image.png

41 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Ron

Image links don't work for me

Sorry..look again.

An optional compact view (with optional? gender letter) seems to be quite simple to introduce.

Please also comment if it is not disturbing the letter in brackets before the name? It is a heritage from early versions.

One think I should correct is to make the whole box of every person clickable (and not only the name). Maybe you noticed that very long fullnames are now being shortened if needed.

The mod Todo list is looong...

29 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Ron

Compact ok if optional but I much prefer image 1 with thumbs

Agreed, must be optional..ultimately up to Michal.

Michel KIRSCH
5 hours ago, JPB said:

erson 1 is male: reference to a male person = variable 1 (en: his; de: sein; fr: son; du: zijn)
Person 1 is male: reference to a female person = variable 2 (en: his; de: seine; fr: sa; du: zijn)
Person 2 is female: reference to a male person = variable 3 (en: her; de: ihr; fr: son; du: haar)
Person 2 is female: reference to a female person = variable 4 (en: her; de: ihre; fr: sa; du: haar)

2 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

That looks like your suggestion will work in French.   I do not know whether the same logic would apply in German since I do not read German

Dutch follows the same rules as English. They takes in account the sex of the 1st person

German is particular. takes in account the sex of 1st and 2nd person.

French takes in account the sex of the 2nd person only

Michel

11 minutes ago, mjaro said:

disturbing the letter in brackets

I you mean the @, p, c, s in parentheses before the name...no, in my testing it didn't appear to alter it. And the gender would follow the name, like compact descendant and compact ancestor charts.

The mod Todo list is looong

On the good side, it means you've contributed a popular mod!  And my last suggestion should be low priority.

2 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Personally, I would like the "@" removed. It's ugly and unnecessary.

I find it useful...perhaps a different character, but it represents the 'head' of the unique (and cool) serpentine path this mod produces.

The letters mean the relation to the previous person (spouse, child, parent, and @ for the first person). I added @ to make it easier (for a user) to see where this simple path diagram starts

They all look ugly for me also, I will think how to make them invisible unless you advanced argue to keep it.

If the starting person was blank, it would still be obvious where the path starts.   However, you may need to change it to use a language specific designation since (s) for spouse, (c) for child, (p) for parent, and @ for the first person) might not mean the same thing in other languages

38 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

it would still be obvious where the path starts.

Well, it can start going up or down, but always left to right.  Might not be obvious to the casual viewer what direction the path is going.   Maybe a explanatory comment at top of the chart, then all prefix characters could be omitted. 

The first fullname is bolded now but it is rather faint... Unless another font is applied which makes bigger difference between normal and bold... (or just another font for the first peson?) Playing with fonta is not easy, many purist will criticise any choice.

1 minute ago, mjaro said:

The first fullname is bolded now but it is rather faint... Unless another font is applied which makes bigger difference between normal and bold... (or just another font for the first peson?) Playing with fonta is not easy, many purist will criticise any choice.

I think bolding is OK, maybe the primary (first) person and the secondary (last) person. Then could omit the @,p,c,s perhaps.

A different color for the starting box and ending box might work, if css classes were used so that they could be overridden by the user who wanted something different, but I think because the current styles are not being added to the genstyle.css that users might not be able to override the definitions like they can with mytngstyle.css.

Personally I would like to see the charts in the same size container regardless of how many boxes are displayed, but that introduces another challenge.  I have not looked at the code because I am still trying to fix some issues with the MediaWiki software upgrade on the TNG Wiki

Based on looking at the source code for the page, current CSS definitions cannot be overridden using the normal TNG mechanism where templatestyle.css overrides gentstyle.css for the given template and mytngstyle.css if the user wants additional overrides.

So the connections.css definitions would need to be added in genstyle.css after the comment line

/* Classes for TNG Mods to be added below */

Maybe simply have the hyperlink underline for appear for names in the start and end boxes.  After more thought, I deleted my suggestion of color designation, since it seems to create more complicated css issues to satisfy user preferences across the many templates.

4 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

Maybe have the hyperlink underline appear on the start and end boxes.

If it were done using a css class that could be overridden as I indicated in the previous post.  Other wise only user who know how to create their own mods to change someone else code  would be able to change it.  Also if the mod does not follow TNG architecture, it becomes more difficult to convince Darrin to include the mod in a future TNG version without him rewriting part of the code. 

Sounds like the simplest solution would be to omit all the ( ) prefixes from all the boxes.    As to containers, I can see the wish for all to be the same size. Another option to avoid that would be to have no container, similar to other charts,  with only boxes for each path, but have horizontal separation between each path in addition to the text.

I fear we've  overloaded Michal with all these ideas, but the core mod has great promise.

38 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

So the connections.css definitions would need to be added in genstyle.css

I currently use the link to css only for avoiding a multiline part of cfg, and to remain template-independent. But I see - as the mod becomes more stable - that copying css to genstyle.css is definitely better solution, as Ken indicated.

BTW some time ago in other discussion Ken gave me some useful advice on the subject of multiline replacements in cfg. As a result I created my private template. Then I copied part of its css  as connections.css with additional css variables copied from the :root of my css (this is why some of the vatiables are unneeded here locally).

Michel KIRSCH

Michal,

text files for french.

It seems that some variables are not used :

$text['showspouses'] - $text['dospouses2'] (used in relationship.php, not in yout mod) - $text['mjaor'] -

$text['sometimes'] (commented in nextpathsform and relateform) - $text['badID1'] - $text['badID2'].

I think it's already signaled : some incoherence when only 1 connexion or 1 path, the text stay plural.

You make a great job.

Michel

French-UTF8_custtext.php

French_custtext.php

Good morning Michal,

I send as attachment the German text file (from v13.0.2.2a ). Nothing needs to be changed for German needs (his/her). I could find a solution with the existing variables.

If there are any changes, please get in touch. Everything no problem. ... only programming I can not, I'm sorry.

I have just noticed the following irregularity:
1. the link "search for other connections" brings an Error 404.
2. after your Mod is installed, all "living" or "private" people are publicly visible.

For this test I have installed the Mod (v13.0.2.2a) alone without other Mods.

Jürgen

German-UTF8_custtext.php

added by me afterwards:

... and please add to the file "connections_v13.0.2.2a.cfg":

%target:languages/German-UTF8/cust_text.php%
%fileoptional:%
%location:%
//Mods should put their changes before this line, local changes should come after it.
%end:%
%insert:before%
$text['connections'] = "Verbindungen"; # new tab title
%end:%

9 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

text files for french.

Bonjour Michel,

Thank you very much!

Please don't get annoyed for being so slow... Apart from my limited skills - extra-TNG life exists! ;)  Last year I accepted a lecture offer -despite retirement- from my University, and since then my time is veary thick...

Michał

2 hours ago, JPB said:

I send as attachment the German text file

Guten Morgen Jürgen!

Thank you for translation and cfg code! aren't you a programmer?  Thank you also for the errors detection (for the 1st I see the solution - this was a consequence of multiple renames; for 2nd I must look more deep).

Thank you for your support.

Michał