Top Posters In This Topic

• mjaro

• tngrlkrz

• Ken Roy

• theKiwi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thankyou all for testing!

I see I should give up my favourite function of my mod, i.e. the change of the tab order :( . I'll do this in a pivate mod for my site... Then the mod will be less conflicting. 

Here is a cfg version without this conflicting change (as was softly advised a few days ago by Ron).

Michał

Connections_v13.0.2.2a.cfg

8 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

testing the add_cousins_button_to_user Mod. 

I know : it was in jan 2020, a loooong year ago :-)

Yes, I do remember, and good riddance to 2020 indeed.  I believe I suggested switching who is 1st and 2nd, and the speed to results was much improved with your mod's use of the relationship mod.  However, Michal's results seem to be obtained quite fast either way. His algorithms are surely different than those employed by relationship.php.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:40 PM, Ken Roy said:

Publishing personal mods is always a learning process on the first one. 

Oh, now I see it all too well ...

Ken please give me more easy directions how to introduce to Wiki the new mod name (and put the new zip for it)... 

Michał

On 2/13/2021 at 3:54 PM, theKiwi said:

I have a couple of other comments about the next update...

Roger, you probably saw that I follow your comments.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:54 PM, theKiwi said:

put comments in nextpaths.css i

I've added some now. The defined colors I use across my template to keep color consistency; only two of them are actually used in the Connections files. Merriweather font I've chosen because it is narrower then others (from Google - currently free of charge...).

Thank you once more for helpful comments !

Michał

50 minutes ago, mjaro said:

Oh, now I see it all too well ...

Ken please give me more easy directions how to introduce to Wiki the new mod name (and put the new zip for it)... 

Michał

Michal,

Do you want me to Move (rename) your existing mod?  Then you can just upload the replacement zip file?

It is done.   Wiki page is now Connections  I left a redirect so if user click their previous link it will take them to the new page.  Just upload your new mod and replace the download link

Ken, I got lost uploading/deleting/reuploading zip file (I uploaded as File: then remembered that you adviced to use Media: and.... mess). Sorry again, help me!

Michal,

you can use the Upload File in the left sidebar of the TNG Wiki.  Or if you use [[File:file-name.zio in the mod wiki article, you should then change it to [[Media:file-name.zip|file-name.zip]] so that the user gets a Save As dialog box when they click on the link.

I also removed {{restricted}} template since your mod is directly downloaded from the TNG wiki, that is you are not using the Click Counter iii to restrict your downloads to logged in users.

I know it is a lot to learn, but you are doing great. 

You man want to delete the download link from the post above to avoid confusion

2 minutes ago, manofmull said:

The Connections tab is missing a tiny icon that all other tabs have.

Mine has it - it's what the sprites image included with the Mod is for

image.png

Roger

The icon (called "sprite") will show if you copy tng_small_icon_sprites.gif  from the mods/Connections folder to the main TNG img folder (replacing original file of this name). You have to do this "by hand" (i.e., FTP) because ModManager cannot overwrite files.

Thanks Michal - you can see it in action here

[Website Example URL Removed as Website is Defunct]

I've made myself a private Mod to alter the Connections.css file to suit my site's existing theme - i.e. colours and sans-serif font - a Google font called BenchNine seems to be a bit narrower than plain old Arial.

Some other suggestions for improvement in the structure of the Mod...

1 - use only lower case letters for the folder and file names (connections.css) and the .cfg file name - that way on a Linux host system the files will sort in order with all the other Mods rather than at the end because of the upper case C

2 - rename the files nextpaths, nextpaths2, and nextpathsform to connections, connections2, and connectionsform so that they too all remain together in a list in the file browser. And then in the URL bar of a browser, (at least in English) the file name in the URL will match the name of the tab in TNG.

3 - is there any requirement on the filename of Yens-BFS due to using someone else's code for this? - you could perhaps use connections-Yens-BFS to get that file too to sort into the main TNG files list with the other files "connected" to the Mod.

Here in the text string

image.png

should there be a . after the 41? I think it's telling me it was a "41 step search"?

Again thanks for a GREAT Mod - very impressive for a first time.

Roger

Edited by theKiwi

1 hour ago, manofmull said:

Existing theme for the mod would be good. I'm using template 18

Michal, can you do this? (I certainly can't)

It would require quite a bit of change - I'd actually prefer that TNG moved to the way this Mod is coded, using variables for the various colours, so each colour is defined only once, so that each variable (colour) is defined only once, and so can be changed in only 1 place.
Of course that would be a massive amount of work for Darrin.
Roger

Roger - it's nice that your site is running my mod! (BTW I see that you haven't used the new sprite in Connections tab?). I checked (sorry) how fast the Connections run and I'm surprised that it is several times slower than in my hosted site. Interesting why... (is it your production site?)

The question of numbering: The search function returns a new path at every call ('search step"), but most of the findings are filtered-out as negligible (I partially explained this in the previous page; it's a pity that post aren't numbered) . So the the meaning of the info you cited is: There were 41 path found so far, and the 41st of them is the 2nd one that is worth displaying. (I know very little English. Could you please suggest how this message should be?)

Your further suggestions are undoubtedly apt - I'm going to follow them. Should the mod name / title be also lowercased? 

Thanks,

Michał

45 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Ron/Michel

Does this refer to the Cousins mod or another?

Another, its an admin:users  area mod, just as Michel worded it , the Add_Cousins_Button .

1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

alter the Connections.css

I merely altered two color values in the css to present a neutral gray, which looks OK with any of the templates I make available to users.

2 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Ron

Thanks. I did search but couldn't find it without your link.

That's weird; I simply type 'add' in the search field and the dropdown presents it among others.  Glad you found it.

6 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

I merely altered two color values in the css to present a neutral gray, which looks OK with any of the templates I make available to users.

Ron, I could make this change in my mod to better fit to most of the templates. For my own I can do a private mod - would this be fair?

1 hour ago, mjaro said:

Ron, I could make this change in my mod to better fit to most of the templates. For my own I can do a private mod - this would be fair?

When I say 'neutral' , I mean like the gray buttons in TNG, and that may not suit everyone and their themes, though.  

These are the grays I use for all templates.

#pathlist {
    --bgr: #f0f0f0; /* background color of the diagram ( and invisible box border) */
    --bg1: #e0c2a6; /*  */
    --bg2: #dddddd; /* background color for boxes */

image.png

On 2/14/2021 at 4:30 PM, mjaro said:

Roger - it's nice that your site is running my mod! (BTW I see that you haven't used the new sprite in Connections tab?).

I had to do some digging to find out what's going on. For reasons I have long since forgotten about without more investigating, I already had a modified sprite image - the one I'm using now is 245px high - your one is 235, so I seem to have 2 more icons already, and so connections is grabbing the one second from the bottom in what I have.

image.png

I checked (sorry) how fast the Connections run and I'm surprised that it is several times slower than in my hosted site. Interesting why... (is it your production site?)

I suspect the main reason is that it's running in the TNG-WordPress-plugin, which basically works by having the plugin request the TNG page, then the plugin accepts it, prepares it for display inside WordPress (eg combining the TNG <head></head> section into the WordPress <head></head> section so there's only a single <head></head> section on the page), and then sending the whole thing. For just the TNG version look here

this is not part of the WordPress site, but only the TNG page so is quite a bit faster. My database has a bit over 18,000 people in it.

The question of numbering: The search function returns a new path at every call ('search step"), but most of the findings are filtered-out as negligible (I partially explained this in the previous page; it's a pity that post aren't numbered) . So the the meaning of the info you cited is: There were 41 path found so far, and the 41st of them is the 2nd one that is worth displaying. (I know very little English. Could you please suggest how this message should be?)

Now I understand what it's telling me, I think it will be difficult to come up with a good phrase for all instances. How about instead of

Path 2 found in 41. search step

it says

Path 2 found in search step 41

That way you don't have to figure out if you should say 41st search step, or 42nd search step or 43rd search step, or 44th search step (each number here has a different 2 letter addition to make it the ordinal number (41st, 42nd, 43rd etc )

Your further suggestions are undoubtedly apt - I'm going to follow them. Should the mod name / title be also lowercased? 

No, the Mod's name and title can be in Sentence case or Initial Caps - but all the file and folder names are best if all lower case for sorting purposes.

Thanks

Roger

Edited by theKiwi

18 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

I had to do some digging to find out what's going on. For reasons I have long since forgotten about without more investigating, I already had a modified sprite image - the one I'm using now is 245px high - your one is 235, so I seem to have 2 more icons already, and so connections is grabbing the one second from the bottom in what I have.

I found what's happening - my site is using a sprites file called xerxx_tng_small_icon_sprites.gif right now - and the reason is that @XerxX Erik's Maternal and Paternal Lines Mod uses this new sprite, and overcomes the problem you encountered where you can't overwrite a file already existing, but uploading a new sprite file, and then making changes to genstyle.css to call the new sprite file not the original one. Then when you remove the Mod it deletes the file Erik put there, and alters the css file back to calling that not Erik's sprite file.

So what has happened here, I over-wrote the original TNG sprite file with your file, but my site is using Erik's file currently.

So I don't know what the solution to this is easily to have multiple Mods using different sprites files if a user has more than 1 of the mods installed.

Roger