TNG Community

My New TNG (ver 13) site

KevyNC

Still Working on things -- but I have setup ver 13 on a Subdomain as opposed to when I had ver 12 with a WordPress /TNG configuration).  My basic reasons were that I felt the experience would be better.  I am in the process of adding custom pages and menus.

Still a work in progress (note:  Also fixing the the redirects from old site to new one).

https://tng13.alveslaborefamily.net/

Congratulations on your new site! I'm new to TNG and weighing options for integrating it with WordPress. May I ask how you configured ver 12 with WordPress and what you disliked about it? Did you use the plug-in or the Kloosterman method or something else? Also, does your ver 13 configuration include WordPress or is it standalone TNG? Thanks!

Hi Cindy,

I was not able to get the plugin working,  (maybe I did not try hard enough, but others have  reported challenges also).  I use a version of the Kloosterman method. Although Initially I had some challenges, I got everything working.  I wanted to do other things with the WordPress site(s)  and keep them separate from TNG. On the main domain (https://alveslaborefamily.net/) I have a WordPress setup. Currently I am testing,  a couple other subdomain sites (One WordPress and  one non-WordPress). I did not find a free theme that I felt was a good fit with TNG, and the paid version of SuperMagPro  was not the experience I was looking for. Version 13.x came with the two new Templates. I could create my own pages, and I believed I could make that work for my needs and objectives. I am not sure, but I may be one of the few subdomain setups. Also, I believed that using as standalone eliminated any risk of a WordPress or Theme update causing any issues.  Fee free to ask any other questions you might have.

Kevin

I like the idea of using Microsoft Power BI for the statistics...

Before I delve deeper into it, could you tell me if it takes data straight from your database (meaning that if I make changes to the database, the statistics will follow), or if you need to create a separate dataset for MPBI to use, and update it manually?

Thanks for the details, Kevin. I've been experimenting with different configurations. Right now, I have a site where I've installed WordPress in the root directory and TNG in a subdirectory of the root so that they would use the same database. I don't want WordPress to take over the header and footer, so I didn't include Kloosterman's php files to do that. Now, when I go to mywebsite.com/tng/admin.php, the TNG login comes up fine, but after logging in, I get an error message telling me there's been too many redirects. I've cleared cookies, but that hasn't helped. Would appreciate any advice.

EDIT: Problem solved.

• 7 months later...
Laurids Petersen

Hi Kevin

I've used the "Simple Life" theme in Wordpress.

It is a good, simple theme that works great with TNG. There is - however - one little problem: Menu's dont work fine on older versions of iPads. But if that is not a problem - try it out.

• 8 months later...

Hi Kevin,

I know that this is an older thread, but I just caught up with the latest iteration of your site.  The 'supermag' theme seemed to have too much going on--and as I and others have discovered--can be very distracting and difficult to keep content clean and easy to navigate.  I checked a month or so back, and thought you might have given up!

Congratulations on getting the Birthday/Anniversary/Death scripts to work in what appears to be 3 blocks to run.  It has been a conundrum for many of us.  Please post your solution in the 'historic' thread on that topic.

A suggestion.  Dump the landing page body image blocks (3A-C).  Replace with a text block giving an introduction to what the reason--and your aspirations for the site will be.  That will make a nice flow.

I just updated everything to WP v6 and TNG v13.1.2.  You will recognize the same layout format--even though I rebuilt this from scratch in Laragon before going to production.  Minor details to eke out, but it all runs fine on PHP v8.x.  That, and making sure that all plugins and mods play nicely is key--and debugged for PHP8x.