TNG Community
lcowdrick

Adding Pages

lcowdrick

HI! I'm new here. I have no idea how to code or anything like that. I needed TNG for the ease of uploading a database. However, I want to add additional pages of information. Darrin tried giving me direction but it was so unclear to me, probably due to may lack of coding/HTML knowledge. Is there anyone on here patient enough to help me add a page? I think if I do it once I can create the rest on my own! Help would be so appreciated. 

Thank you so much!

RickM

Hi there

What sort of page are you wanting to add??

lcowdrick

Thanks for responding! I plan on adding many pages with local historical data, so I just need to learn how to add one. A Basic page with text. the nicer the better.

Linda

Newfloridian

Hi Linda

There are a number of ways you could achieve something like that. Most though require a smattering of basic page design and html coding knowledge to get the result you want. Perhaps a browse through the User Sites page on the TNG site might help give you some ideas:

User Sites

My own preference is the use of TNG's historytemplate.php facility with which I have created over 500 user added pages.  I use TNG's template 4. There are readable "getting started" pages in the TNG wiki.

Good luck

Cheers, Alan

The Extended Craxford Family Website

lcowdrick

Thanks Newfloridian but I am looking for more direction.  I understand that I need to go to the cpanel. I've gone through some of the tutorials, but I am still finding this difficult. I need clear directions. I tried copying one of the pages in cpanel per Darrin's direction but I got lost after that. Anyone... please?

Also, I am not adding user added pages. I want to add my own pages with information. Where is template 4? Assume I know nothing, because I really don't know anything about this. My main website was created on Wix. So I am used to a friendly interface, not coding. But unfortunately Wix does not support SQL or the database I need to share.

Linda

Michel KIRSCH

Linda,

to add your own pages, with your own information, with the look of the TNG template you use,

follow the instructions contained in the file historytemplate.php as Alan said.

You MUST know a minimum of html/PHP to can achieve this task. (by example what must you do to "remove the comment marks from this line" or what is  "path is the folder structure above your file" or what's a "HTML tag")

If you don't know this minimum, no one can help you without sitting next to you.

Michel

Pops57

Hello Linda,

Have you been able to do what you wanted with Adding pages?

What Michael, Alan, and Ken have all said is of course excellent advice. Reading the articles and guides they referenced is exactly what I did to get me started in adding User (additional) pages to my site. As a newbie myself, I have been helped tremendously several times by these gentlemen, and others as well.

That said, since I can relate to your challenges, as I am very early in my learning curve for all of this, I'll be happy to offer what I've learned so far. I have successfully made a few additional pages and have learned a little. Some of the pages on my site are still "under construction", while others are working as intended. Simple, but they do what I want.

If you would like for me to share the little bit I've learned, I'd be happy to help. You can email me at michael@ellisofelkpark.com if you'd like.

Mike