TNG Community

TNG Wiki upgrade to MediaWiki 1.35.1

Ken Roy

Hi everyone,

The TNG wiki will be upgraded to a newer software version between February 4 and 6, 2021. You will not be able to edit pages and may not be able to login and download mods that are restricted to logged in users during the upgrade timeframe.

Since the upgrade to the MediaWiki 1.35.1 requires an upgrade to the PHP version on the TNG Wiki server, it is possible that even though we put the wiki in read-only mode, that other things will not work correctly on the existing TNG Wiki.

More specific timeline for the upgrade is as follows:

* Thursday evening, I will put the TNG Wiki in read-only mode so we can create the necessary database backup for a fall back position

* Friday evening, Darrin will upgrade the PHP version to 7.4.n

* Saturday morning, I will upgrade to MediaWiki 1.35.1

* Saturday afternoon, Darrin will rename the wiki folders

Thank you for your patience as we perform this long overdue MediaWiki software upgrade.

Ken Roy
sysops for the TNG Wiki

Thank YOU for your diligence @Ken Roy

I do wish that this is a smooth and seamless update.. I do also hope that the community at large will understand the complexities of this update and should there be issues, realise that 'one man can only do so much' therefore give you every opportunity to resolve issues as they arise, rather than beat you for taking a positive step forward!

Sorry, I do not know the answer to that question. Darrin needs to upgrade the PHP level which he will do on Friday evening.

I will put the TNG Wiki in read-only mode late Thursday afternoon Eastern Time so that he can back the database up in case we need to back off the upgrade, which I do not expect to have to do.

MediaWiki appears to have conflicting information on putting the wiki in read-only mode, so will have to wait and see.

So ok, lets be prudent, and lets make sure we are logged out during this time..

Sorry I have not logged off earlier..

The TNG Wiki is back online and upgraded to MediaWiki 1.35.1

The TNG WIki now has two different editors:
* VisualEditor is launched when you click the Edit link or when you click the Create link when creating a new page
* WikiEditor is launched when you click the Edit source link or when you click the Create source link when creating a new page
You can switch between the two editors.

I have started a new wiki article
https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=VisualEditor
feel free to update it.  I have only played with the VisualEditor briefly

The WikiEditor might still be the better editor for TNG mod articles.

Hopefully, the VisualEditor will encourage other users to document TNG capabilities and features

The following article briefly describes some of the visible changes with the MediaWiki 1.35.1 upgrade
https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=TNG_Wiki_Upgrade_to_MW_1.35.1

The following extensions were disabled as part of the TNG Wiki upgrade to MediaWiki 1.35.1

* Echo and
* Thanks
    so you will not be able to thank users for making updates to pages you started

I hope to re-enable the extensions after I figure out why they do not work correctly on MW 1.35

The Language switching from the Language row created by the Languages templates does not work at the moment.  If any of you are web developers who might understand some of the Languages template syntax, I would welcome any help you can offer.

The Languages selection was moved up in the left sidebar and displays the page in the language selected if a language subpage exists.  For example, if you select français for the French language while viewing the TNG Wiki Main Page, you will be switched to the French version of the Main Page.

Note however that the Main Page in other languages might not be as current as the English language page.

I want to thank Jürgen Bourdeux for the German translation of the revise Request Account form, Katryne Chauvigné-Bourlaud for the French translation, and Mogens Fenger for the Danish translation.  

I would also like to thank Jan-Thore Solem for the Norwegian translation and Rob Severijns for the Dutch translation even though we decided not to implement those languages in the pull down but only use part of their translations in the Account Approval email.  

I would also like to thanks Rick Bisbee who helped trying to figure out why emails were not being sent the in language the account was requested in. As a result, I opened several incidents on the MediaWiki project support desks and a couple of issues in their Phabricator system.

I would also like to thank Michel Kirsch and Robin Richmond for their testing and feedback on the VisualEditor.  The import from my test wiki of the VisualEditor issues does not appear to have been successful.

I would also like to thank Darrin for his help in upgrading the TNG Wiki to MediaWiki 1.35.1

Ken,   Great work getting this going and coordinating with Darrin and the others.  I know this has taken much time and effort which needs to be recognized.  

Thank you..

Looks like Murphy did come to work.  The WikiEditor is broken.  Latest WinZip Pro 25 did not include the language json files that I modified.

I backed of WinZip Pro 25 and went back to WinZip Pro 24.   Not all change is progress.  :) 

Rob Severijns

Ken,

Thank you for all the effort you and others have put in this upgrade.

2 steps forward, 1 step back is still progress 😉

Kind regards,

Rob

Great work Ken

Something as big as the Wiki will always be an issue waiting to happen..

We trust that you will resolve it, and IF I knew more I would jump in to help.. I don't, however I'm good at finding stuff, so should you need a good investigator, let me know!

Thanks for your efforts

I appreciate the kudos, but none of you appear to have tried to edit pages since I have inadvertently left a restriction preventing others from editing when I took the TNG Wiki out of read-only mod which completely locks the database  :)

Not Sure if that was an request to actually edit a page, but I have made a couple of minor changes to Lat-Long NSEW Mod page. Seems fine. Haven't really got much to add as major right now..