TNG Community
pwaldron

TNG zip files appear corrupted

pwaldron

I have just downloaded tngupgrade9x-1302.zip (twice) and tngfiles1302.zip (once) as the first step in attempting to upgrade from version 9.2.1 to version 13.0.2 of TNG.

The file sizes are 15,052,135 bytes (both times) and 16,639,406 bytes respectively.

WinZip (9.0 SR-1 (6224)) pauses frequently while unzipping the downloaded files to report:

Warning: skipping "[filename]".  The compressed size
stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the
compressed size stored in the central header.

I gave up on the upgrade file after skipping 27 files and on the full file after skipping the first of these files, admin_deleteentity.php

WinZip provides no means of overriding the warning and its help file merely advises to download the Zip file again.

I don't see any point in attempting to upload the unzipped files to my website when dozens of files are missing.

Is the problem with WinZip or with the TNG files?

RickM

Hi there

I have d/loaded the two files you are suggesting 'may' be corrupt.. I have 'unzipped' both successfully.. My version of Winzip is 21.5 Pro (12480) 64bit.

You have quite an old version.. That may be the issue.

pwaldron

Thanks for checking that, Rick.
It seems that both the .zip files and WinZip were partially at fault.

The WinZip documentation suggested running:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\WinZip\wzzip" -yf tngupgrade9x-1302.zip

This made a new file named tngupgrade9x-1302FIXED.zip, which WinZip was then able to unzip.

The fixed .zip file contained 1,428 files, 786 of them reported to have Size=0 (uncompressed size), but only one file (TNG_captcha.php) with Packed=0 (compressed size).

So it appears that the uncompressed size of over half of the files is wrongly stored in the .zip file, and that a little trickery with WinZip is required to overcome this problem.

The update appears to have been mostly successful - although I still have to figure out how to restore the captcha on the user registration page.

pwaldron

I have also soved the reCAPTCHA problem, although I am not sure whether the initial absence of a reCAPTCHA challenge was (a) because I forgot to log out of my admin account before testing the "Register for New User Account" page or (b) because I actually needed to re-enter the relevant strings in the
reCAPTCHA Site Key:
and
reCAPTCHA Secret:
boxes in the privacy section of /tng/admin_genconfig.php

Ken Roy
4 hours ago, pwaldron said:

It seems that both the .zip files and WinZip were partially at fault.

Winzip 9 was released August 26, 2004, which is eons ago in data processing terms.  I would not expect it to handle files created in today's environment.   It probably cannot handle zip files created in today's environment.

WinZip site indicates

Support has ended for the following:

1. WinZip 9.0 through WinZip 21.0

Edited by Ken Roy
delete redundant phrase

pwaldron

I wouldn't be surprised at software of any vintage failing to handle .zip files with incorrectly and inconsistenly reported uncompressed file sizes.