TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
marie byatt

External media links

marie byatt

I am about to start on a new project  - using TNG to be the connector through people profiles of all the history and information for a small rural town.  There are already several different bodies that have websites about different aspects of the town - the Historical society has images of the buildings in collections , the genealogical society has images of obituaries for the last sixty years, the School has pictures of all the athletic teams and so on .  I want a good way to link to the items in these external collections so I can have John doe's profile show the house he lived in, the Team picture he was in and the newsclipping that was his obituary.  without 'stealing ' them from the collections they are presently housed in.  These societies need the TNG site to provide them with more traffic and visitors so the profiles need to pick up the images from the remote address.   I know it can be done if I import all the media items but that won't serve the purpose  - I need the pictures that show on John Doe's page and also be the link to the other site.   and I need the return path to work.  I do know how to link to media in an on site collection - these are off site.

manofmull

Marie

I add links to other websites as Histories in Admin/Media/Add New/Histories

This media comes from an external source (you must supply your own thumbnail)

Media URL: https://example.com

Add Title & Description and link to someone/family/place etc... on your own site (Save/Exit)

I don't bother with a thumbnail and accept the default book icon.

histories.jpg