TNG Community
TJ Kolev

Upgrading from 8 to 13

TJ Kolev

Greetings,

Back in the day I installed TNG 8.0.2. Added some data. Then... things happened. And now I am trying to resume where I left. I would like to upgrade to the latest version. Site doesn't work any more, because machine now has PHP 7 only. So what's the smoothest way to go about upgrading while preserving my data. (I have backup.)

• Completely fresh install, db and all. And then restore backup. Have there been any breaking changes in the db schema, that will prevent a restore (mysqldump sql file)?
  • Drop the new code, fix config, point to existing db. Perhaps manually run a db update scripts of sort.
  • Nothing to worry about. Normal version 13 install, and it will figure what needs to be updated with the existing database.

I tried to look for the above information here at the forum and on the wiki, but was unable to find anything of interest. Perhaps the download page for v13 may have that info, but I haven't paid yet.

Cheers!

tjk :)

Rob Severijns

TJ,

5 hours ago, TJ Kolev said:

Back in the day I installed TNG 8.0.2. Added some data. Then...

To me this implies that the amount of data you have added to your TNG V.8.0.2 site is limited.

What I would do is a fresh clean install but of course that's entirely up to you.

What ever you choose and just to be sure, make a backup of the existing data and make a a backup of the user accounts. Also download a gedcom of your existing data.

After upgrade/update check the existing data or upload the gedcom in a newly created database. In case you use Mod's you need to upgrade those too.

Also see:   Upgrading TNG - TNG_Wiki (lythgoes.net and TNG Upgrade Backup Approach - TNG_Wiki (lythgoes.net)

Success,

Rob

theKiwi
10 hours ago, TJ Kolev said:

Greetings,

Back in the day I installed TNG 8.0.2. Added some data. Then... things happened. And now I am trying to resume where I left. I would like to upgrade to the latest version. Site doesn't work any more, because machine now has PHP 7 only. So what's the smoothest way to go about upgrading while preserving my data. (I have backup.)

• Completely fresh install, db and all. And then restore backup. Have there been any breaking changes in the db schema, that will prevent a restore (mysqldump sql file)?
  • Drop the new code, fix config, point to existing db. Perhaps manually run a db update scripts of sort.
  • Nothing to worry about. Normal version 13 install, and it will figure what needs to be updated with the existing database.

I tried to look for the above information here at the forum and on the wiki, but was unable to find anything of interest. Perhaps the download page for v13 may have that info, but I haven't paid yet.

Cheers!

If you don't want to do all the data entry again, buy the upgrade from Darrin, and then download the upgrade from 8.x-13.x. That should contain all the needed update scripts and files to move your site to TNG 13.0.2

Roger

TJ Kolev

Thank you!

I installed and setup the full version 13. Then applied by hand selected SQL statements from the mysqldump file. Seems it work out just fine.

Cheers,

Rob Severijns

TJK,

Good to see things worked out fine.

Rob