TNG Community

Watermark ideas/suggestions

RickM

Michel

I address this to you as the author of this actually quite wonderful Mod.. I couldn't sort it in my TNG V 12.3 due to so many personal changes made, but in TNG V 13+ it seems to play nice with the mods I have installed, along with my own personal Mods..

I am using Wordpress 5.6, TNG v 13.02, and Mod version v12.2.0.1e. [edited here]

A couple of things I thought seem a bit strange, however, I am sure there is a good reason for the way they are..

1] I'm not sure why this would be on the front end of TNG?? It seems to me that it should only be available on the back end to TNG Admins. Or to those who are allowed to make changes to the Mod Options..
watermark-mod-1.jpg

2] If a person who has 'WaterMark "Free"' access is logged in, this would be redundant. Would it be possible to not display in this instance?

watermark-mod-2.jpg

3] Once a person is selected (in SETUP >> USERS ) to NOT show watermarks, it appears one cannot unselect them. To be sure it was not another Mod conflicting in some way I have unistalled all other Mods. I have also cleared the WaterMark Cache, Browser Cache, and for completeness, WordPress Cache.

watermark-mod-3.jpg

4] Not worried that the error happened, in fact the info is really good.. However, not sure this is the intended method to show the error. And ok, I do run TNG under Wordpress, using the Kloosterman method. This error appears when NOT logged in.. Does not appear when logged in.. [Edited here]

watermark-mod-4.jpg

5] I have entered two lines of info in the 'watermark text' option as below

watermark-mod-6.jpg

The result is

watermark-mod-5.jpg

and given the text is not exactly the same, that is not a problem.. Would it be possible to have the text centred as per below?

watermark-mod-7.jpg

Lastly to make it easier to read could you change the way you present the info in the options to something like (and I did alter your mod to make this happen. I have returned it to standard..

watermark-mod-8.jpg

I do not expect this to happen fast if at all, as they are only ideas and suggestions.

Either way, thank you for the Mod.. I do like it.

Edited by RickM
Added TNG Version and Mod version.. Noted Error message extra

Michel KIRSCH

Rick thanks for the suggestions.

I will check all of them once i'll be restablished.

Michel

Michel KIRSCH

Hello everyone,
I came back from a small hospitalisation. I hope I have answered all your messages well. If not, please do not hesitate to send me a personal message.
Michel

Michel KIRSCH

Hi Rick, finally some answers to your questions :

On 1/17/2021 at 5:17 AM, RickM said:

1] I'm not sure why this would be on the front end of TNG?? It seems to me that it should only be available on the back end to TNG Admins. Or to those who are allowed to make changes to the Mod Options..

This option is shown only for administrators. It permetis to empty the cache of already watermarked pictures. Is useful when you decide to change something in the watermarking options to see the result of your changes. If not emptied, watermark continues to show watermarked pictures with the old options.

2] If a person who has 'WaterMark "Free"' access is logged in, this would be redundant. Would it be possible to not display in this instance?

You're right. It's done in the future version 1f !

3] Once a person is selected (in SETUP >> USERS ) to NOT show watermarks, it appears one cannot unselect them

Can't reproduce the problem home. The allow/disallow are using the same procedure ( change_allowed_user in watermark.php.) If the user is allowed, it is disallowed (deleted from the file) and if it is not allowed, it is allowed (Added into the file). The file control system is modified since version 1e (that you use) You can do more investigation if you check the content of your "extensions/watermark_mod_allowedusers.txt" file and see what appens when you click on users to allow/disallow them (Hope I'm clear..?)

4] Not worried that the error happened, in fact the info is really good

These infos are of interest for me when something going wrong with watermark. I must see if each step of the watermarking process is well done.

Lastly to make it easier to read could you change the way you present the info

You solve the problem yourself. It make part of the 1e version of 10th jan 2021.

5] I have entered two lines of info in the 'watermark text' option as below

I must deaply investigate to solve this problem.

So be patient : I don't forget you !

Regards

Michel

Michel

I thank you for your responses to all.. Of course there is logic to everything and I failed to see some.. I appreciate your efforts in making improvements to this Mod and thank you for seeing your way to including some of my suggestions.

I will upgrade to the latest version and then investigate the allowed / disallowed option. I do have to say, this was happening when I was logged in with full Administrator rights.. But then again I may have missed something somewhere <smile>.

If you can make the two line suggestion work, that would be magic. It is not a deal breaker though.. So don't get too worried about it if it does challenge..

Take care of yourself, and many thanks for your efforts..

Michel KIRSCH
On 1/29/2021 at 4:39 AM, RickM said:

If you can make the two line suggestion work

Rick,

I have just finished my investigations on the double line when the watermark is positioned at 45°.
As I hadn't worked on Watermark for a long time, I was no longer able to print two lines diagonally !!!
I took out quite a lot of hair! Finally, I realised that this was normal: it is not provided to be able to print the two lines diagonally ! You gave me some work :-)
I checked it out and it's clearly stated in the Wiki page of the Mod.
However, I made some improvements to the calculations that should allow you to adjust the text when you display your two lines diagonally...

If you want to give me the code you use to display two lines diagonally, I'll try to integrate it in the Mod...

Michel

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Michel KIRSCH
On 1/29/2021 at 4:39 AM, RickM said:

If you can make the two line suggestion work, that would be magic

Rick,

the new version 1f gives you the possibility to show or not the second line of watermark

when displaying watermark diagonally. But attention, the result is not always so good on little media...

Maybe is it possible to add a condition on the size before displaying the second line...

Watermark

Michel

Michel,

Sorry, I have had a couple of other issues to resolve.. Um have not used any other code to display the two lines. Just added them in the options as shown in previous post.

And the fact you managed to get it sorted is truly just amazing.. Although I had no doubts of your genius.

I will D/load and give you my feedback..

WIth regard to the indicator on the user page for showing Watermark on or Off per person.. I checked the extensions/watermark_mod_allowedusers.txt"  file. Initially it had 8 lines with my user name RICKM. I replaced it with a fresh copy from the Mod Zip file andnoted that it had a single line with nothing on it. SO when I went back to the User page I was not selected as showwithout. I clicked on the 'W' and was added to the allowedusers.txt on the second line, BELOW the empty line.. I changed a couple more users and they were added just fine. The empty line still there. As soon as I removed myself it looks like I was removed from the file along with the empty line... When I removed others ONE (the last to remove) was not able to be.. I hope that makes sense..

If you want to have a look from within TNG AND FTP to check the file, let me know.. I can PM the details for you..

I will try the new version as I said and see if this issue does continue..

Michel KIRSCH
20 hours ago, RickM said:

When I removed others ONE (the last to remove) was not able to be.. I hope that makes sense..

OK. I can reproduce the fault.

Will search...

Michel

Michel KIRSCH
20 hours ago, RickM said:

I hope that makes sense.

It was a bad interpretation of a return value on the last value in the file (difficult to find without complete tests...).

Try this watermark.php (copy it into your root directory AND in the mods/watermark_1 folder

Michel

watermark.php

Hey Michel

Appreciate you trying to resolve this.

Seems the issue remains..

I cannot seem to figure out exactly what is happening.. Although it maybe something to do with a line break or carriage return either generated when adding or removing user names from the watermark_mod_allowedusers.txt file.

There is one other issue I have noticed and that was to do with file locations etc.. It seems when I try to edit options (after first install of Mod) the watermark_mod_vars.php is not in the extensions folder. Manually placing it there resolves the issue..

If things are working for others then this MUST be something at my end. I have uninstalled ALL other Mods and the issue continues. It looks like when turning OFF (showing watermark again) one should turn off in the order that you turned on.. EG

1. 2. 3. / 1. 2. 3.

NOT

1. 2. 3. / 1. 2. 3. or 2. 3. 1. or 3. 1. 2.

I would think that generally, people will not be turning everyone off or everyone on in one session, so this might be a 'rare case' instance which may or may not be ignored. I had been doing this to test how the Mod worked, when allowing disallowing people..

I hope this helps..

Michel KIRSCH
9 hours ago, RickM said:

that was to do with file locations

File location is defined as $extspath/ for the two files

watermark_mod_vars.php and watermark_mod_allowedusers.txt so if the one is in the extensions folder, there is no reason that the other isn't into the folder...

These two files are write protected and are never overwritted when upgrading the Mod.

You can try to delete (or rename) the two files before installing the Mod to see what happens...

10 hours ago, RickM said:

one should turn off in the order that you turned on

I make some tests and all the names are well deleted, whatever the order of write/erase.

10 hours ago, RickM said:

If things are working for others then

I never had report for this issue, BUT it exists well before I modify the watermark.php file I sent you! :-)

For this file, be careful, because if you have replaced it into your root directory and NOT in the mods/watermark_1 folder, the old version willl replace the new one at next installation !

I'll send you a new copy of the entire Mod. Delete or rename your protected files before install it...

Michel

Another suggestion would be a button to clear cache.   If this feature already exists , please let me know.  I have been clearing cache manually.

Michel KIRSCH

As Administrator, go to your welcome page (public, not Admin).

Click on a media, document or photo link  to go to your browsemedia page. You'll find a Big Red link there.

It is only accessible when you're an administrator

Michel

watermark - empty the cache.JPG

Michel KIRSCH
1 hour ago, Drake said:

Thanks  I figured I was doing it the hard way!

I've completed the wiki page... :-)

My Public thanks to Michel, for going the extra mile to resolve the issue I was having with Allowing/Not Allowing users to see/not see the watermark.

This may have been an 'edge case' or related to my specific set-up (i still don't know exactly why) but Michel went the extra mile and worked out a solution.

THANK YOU @Michel KIRSCH

Long may you program <Smile>.