TNG Community
matvernier

How to delete an empty family

matvernier

I would like to know how to delete an empty family from the administration backend? It used to work really well before TNG v 13 because there was a dropdown option to show families without a Father's Name or a Mother's Name. There are times when individuals are merged for example and that I need to delete the family but I cannot display it anymore. Is there a reason why the 'empty' option of the dropdown list has been taken out in TNG v 13? There are now only two options!

image.png

Thank you for letting me know how to be able to delete an empry family now in TNG v 13!

manofmull
36 minutes ago, matvernier said:

I would like to know how to delete an empty family from the administration backend? It used to work really well before TNG v 13 because there was a dropdown option to show families without a Father's Name or a Mother's Name

You're slightly mistaken. This has never been part of TNG but it should have been years ago!

You must have had the same mod as I had installed. This new one is a tad different but it still works, otherwise it's a visit to CP and delete from there (a nightmare)

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Admin_Families_Plus

EDIT

I'm eternally grateful to Michel and Ron for updating this mod.

With my database of over 100k names, I get at least one empty family each day.

Michel KIRSCH
43 minutes ago, matvernier said:

Thank you for letting me know how to be able to delete an empry family now in TNG v 13

Without mod, you can too !

Just read the family Id on getperson.php (the main screen) => Fxxx and type it into the search text box in Admin >>Families.

You will have a list with one family : the one you want to delete. Delete it !

If you want to SEARCH for empty families, use the mod Manofmull indicates.

Michel

XerxX
4 hours ago, manofmull said:

This has never been part of TNG but it should have been years ago!

That is strange. I have it on both my sites 11.1.2 and 12.3

famnoname.jpg

("Inget namn" = Swedish for "No name")

and I'm not aware of having any mod doing that.

Confused.

Erik

Michel KIRSCH

Erik,

Maybe a manual modification you made during a long winter night? :-)

Michel

XerxX

No Michel, I would remember that, I think. It's a very special modification...

Michel KIRSCH

You're right Erik !

Did you work on my computer too?

TNG 12.3 have this field : (And TNG v11.1.2 too !)

Families no name.JPG

manofmull
1 hour ago, XerxX said:

That is strange. I have it on both my sites 11.1.2 and 12.3

famnoname.jpg

("Inget namn" = Swedish for "No name")

and I'm not aware of having any mod doing that.

Confused. 

Erik

Erik

If you're confused then I am doubly so.

Sure I had "no name" and the "empty family" box in TNG12 backwards but only with mod installed!

Sadly, my brain is old like me so maybe I am mistaken.

After I had upgraded to TNG13 I was "screaming" for someone to update the mod.

Michel shows TNG12 with "no name", then why does it not exist in TNG13? = that would be very good!

This mod adds checkboxes for 'Single parent' and 'Empty family' to Admin Families search. This is good but "no name" also would be better.

tngrlkrz

[deleted] ...I did more testing and had better analysis later.

manofmull

Ron

Thanks for the explanation.

For me the mod is essential and the empty family box is exactly what I require.

matvernier

Thank you all for your comments. As was demonstrated by XerxX and Michel Kirsch, I had not dreamed this! Where I was mistaken is that I was thinking the missing option was an empty field but in fact it was indeed the "No name" option. That was working like charm without having to go to MySQL database to do it!
So my question remains : is there any reason why it was removed in version 13.01. and 13.02, seeing that it was working beautifully in previous versions?

tngrlkrz

With a closer look, I have expanded and amended on my earlier 'summary' after  testing  admin_families.php in TNG12.3 and TNG 13.  In all examples, the search field is left blank. 

In TNG 12.3 with the 'No Name' dropdown selected,  and 'exact match' checked, it lists in one search:

• families with no mother but a father,
  • families with no father but a mother,
  • and families without mother and father. 
  • all sorted by familyID, no other famlies listed. 
  • advantage is all are listed in one search.
  • however, a disadvantage is no names are ever displayed, only personID's.

In TNG 13, I was not able to see families missing both mother and father (empty), but with two searches:

• with dropdown 'mothers name', with descend sort mother column, families with no fathers are sorted to the top, but along with all others with mothers names.
  • with dropdown 'fathers name', with descend sort (strangely) of mother column, families with no mothers are sorted to the top, but along with all others with fathers names.
  • disadvantage is the results list all rows with the mothers or fathers names, respectively.
  • disadvantage will not list empty families.

Also in TNG13, the Admin Families Plus mod will show in three searches the same results as TNG 12.3, but with names as well.

• with dropdown 'mothers name' and 'single parent' checked, lists families with no father
  • with dropdown 'fathers name' and 'single parent' checked , lists families with no mother
  • with  'empty family' checked, lists those with no mother or father.
  • both names and personID's are displayed in the list.

So, since TNG 13 admin_families.php dropped some functionality while adding column sorts, IMO, the best results  for missing parents in TNG13 is to use the Admin Families Plus mod. 

RickM

Great analysis Ron..

manofmull
5 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

So, since TNG 13 admin_families.php dropped some functionality while adding column sorts, IMO, the best results  for missing parents in TNG13 is to use the Admin Families Plus mod. 

Thanks again Ron.

I'd be lost without this very handy mod and now relieved that I mentioned it in my reply to matvernier.

Those two little checkboxes make a huge difference.