TNG Community

New REUNION User

Steve Miller

I am conducting a One-Name Study, which is registered with the Guild. Even though I commenced the study seversal years ago, all my old data was on a PC running TMG. Since then I have moved over onto a Mac.  I have been looking at which software is best suited for a Mac. Reunion appears to be best suited for my Mac, but instead of reinventing the wheel I would appreciate advice on the any of the following:

1. I want to use Reunion as my main software and export a GEDCOM for import into TNG on a website what settings should I consider?
2. Are there any tutorials for using the software
3. What is the best way of dealing with Sources that would be compatible with TNG./ REUNION
4. I want to store my Reunion Files on my Microsoft One-Drive and sync it between my macbook and iMac, are there any issues?
5. Does anyone have any good tips or lessons learnt using Reunion for a One-Name Study?

Thank you all in advance

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve Miller said:

1. I want to use Reunion as my main software and export a GEDCOM for import into TNG on a website what settings should I consider?

The main thing to be aware of is that if in Reunion you create a "custom field" - i.e. you define a new field in the Reunion Preferences, that you give that field a unique GEDCOM tag, by convention it will start with a _ if it's a field you have "invented". 

And then in TNG, you have to use the Custom Events settings to get TNG to "Accept" that field.

2. Are there any tutorials for using the software

Which software? Reunion has a good User Forum at http://ReunionTalk.com/

3. What is the best way of dealing with Sources that would be compatible with TNG./ REUNION

See 1 above - my sources have great variety of types and fields and they all make it in to TNG - maybe not up to Evidence Explained standards, but all the fields I've created in Sources show up in TNG

4. I want to store my Reunion Files on my Microsoft One-Drive and sync it between my macbook and iMac, are there any issues?

I don't know much about One-Drive - the official Reunion position is that they only support DropBox, and it's this that allows the synching between Mac and iOS devices. One-Drive might work if you don't want to use it on iOS also, but for sure bad things can happen if you move faster than One-Drive can keep things in synch between computers, and somehow get the file open on both computers at the same time for example.

5. Does anyone have any good tips or lessons learnt using Reunion for a One-Name Study?

Not Me. Join the ReunionTalk forum and ask there.

Roger

Roger,

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. I have registered on the ReunionTalk Website and I can gain access, but unfortunately I am unable to post. I thought I would receive an activation link, but it never arrived (not even in my spam folder).

Steve

2 hours ago, Steve Miller said:

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. I have registered on the ReunionTalk Website and I can gain access, but unfortunately I am unable to post. I thought I would receive an activation link, but it never arrived (not even in my spam folder).

If you don't get the ability to post there, send an eMail to help@leisterpro.com and ask them. They're pretty good about replying to eMails.

Roger

23 hours ago, Steve Miller said:

Roger,

Steve

I contacted ReunionTalk directly and I have been granted access to post.

Steve