TNG Community
Jamie Walker

Modified Spammer Actions

Jamie Walker

This is my suggestion for modifying the current Spammer After-Actions. Please understand that I think the current after-actions are good and they work. I am in no way implying that they don't. Please read below for reasoning, etc.

Why I propose this:

I've been around long enough to see a disgruntled board member whose post was deleted and the member removed. I've seen people get upset and begin to harass other board members, work around the system to send SPAM anyways, etc. There ARE actions you can take against someone when they are doing this but if we don't archive the posts, and still have access to the members information, it is nearly impossible. We have a great community here and I don't really forsee this being a problem. But as time goes by, it's best to have safeguards in place. This is especially the case since this forum is focused on and supported by a business and since that's the case, there are legal actions you can take in the event of obvious harassment.

Initial Set-up Actions:

[1] A new usergroup titled "SPAMMER". This group has NO permissions to the board. [Remove READ, POST, EDIT, etc permissions]

[2] A new private [moderators/admins only] child board titled "SPAM INCINERATOR" [that's the most common but it could be called anything.

[3] Edit current Spammer After-Actions.

Modified Spammer After-Actions:

[1] MOVE the post into the incinerator.

[2] PM Gustave to move member into SPAMMER group.

[3] Gustave moves the member into SPAMMER group and sends a canned e-mail notifying member that they have been moved to SPAMMER group and that thread has been archived for future research. Something along the lines of:

"You have been identified as a SPAMMER! Your membership has been removed and your post archived for further research. Any continued actions on your part to further SPAM this board will be reported to the appropriate authorities."

How this helps us:

[1] If there are any disputes over whether or not the thread was actually SPAM, the original post and the poster are still in the database and can easily be restored.

[2] Since IP addresses change frequently and a person can simply move to another computer at another location and continue on with their Spamming, this allows us to do research in the event that the Spammer continues Spamming the forum.

Gustave

Jamie,

I like this. Not that I have been around this board all that long but from what I have seen up to this point it is pretty blatent on what is and what is not spam.

A new user registers and immediately spams. Pretty cut and dried in my book.

I have not had one yet that has been an actual "contributing" member that has spammed.

Since I have no tolerance for it. I delete and block no quesions asked at this point.

Now if we ever come across a member that has has put up a questionable post then we will deal with that seperately (carefully).

I would say we get one about once every two weeks or so since I put in bans on .ru emails and the such. There were a lot from .ru in the beginning but since then the spam has not been as bad.

You probably have more experience at this than I do and if you all think we should just do this from the get go I am for it as it makes no difference to me either way.

For the time being I am all for keeping things as simple as possible and just deleting until the time comes that a member starts throwing around ads for things. The less thinking involved the better. ??

Thoughts ?

Gustave

theKiwi

For the time being I am all for keeping things as simple as possible and just deleting until the time comes that a member starts throwing around ads for things. The less thinking involved the better. ??

Yes, the KISS principle works well :-)

Until such time as the decisions aren't as clear cut I guess it will work well.

Of course we can hope that the decisions don't get to be made difficult <g>

Roger

rdmorss

I agree with Gustave....just delete inappropriate posts. If you have any doubts about a specific thread or post, ask on this board.

I've been running the forum at morsesociety.org since 1999 and there has been very little spam and only one time when a former member got disgruntled and repeatedly posted harassing comments. The simplest way to handle these is the delete button.

Jamie Walker

I suppose you are all right. We don't have a huge problem with this so I guess it's really not a big issue right now. It's nice to know you guys at least took the time to hear what I had to say though, so a THANK YOU is in order, lol.