TNG Community
orlandsims

Thumbnail creation error

orlandsims

Hi,

I am working on my first time set up of TNG. I was able to import my media from FTM. When I go to run the "Generate Thumbnails" command, I receive an error message that my media files are too large and TNG cannot generate a Thumbnail. The media is directly from FTM/Ancestry, 

Is there a setting in TNG to handle larger files? 

If I need to create Thumbnails in an external tool, how do Import back into TNG and keep it in sync with the original media.

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Jeff

Chris Lloyd

If you ar using a pc you could use something like easy thumbnail which I use all the time - means you create on your pc and upload both images - main and thumbnail.

Edited by Chris Lloyd
typo

Michel KIRSCH
On 1/9/2021 at 12:24 AM, orlandsims said:

Is there a setting in TNG to handle larger files?

There is no limitation in TNG.

the message you receive is well "Thumbnails not generated due to path, permissions, size or file name problems" ?

It can be that your write permissions on your thumnail path are not well set (0664)

Other limitations comes from PHP  or from a not supported file type or a from your machine (out of memory error: the file is too big for your PC)

examples :

You say it is a PDF and it is not => no thumbnail

It is not a JPG, JPEG, PNG or GIF = > idem

Your image is corrupted (JFIF infos can not be read) => idem

One of these PHP function returns an error => idem (functions imageJpeg, imagePng, imageCreateFromxxx, ... )

Try with some others lighter files. If it don't works, try the Chri's solution.

Michel

orlandsims

Thanks Michael for the feedback.

My thumbnails did work for some of the files. Most of them seemed to be the smaller jpeg files. 

I found this in Mods and that is what made me think there is a limit default of 1MB.

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Admin_Media_Thumbnails

I went down the path of trying to install the the Mod referenced above and I am now stuck on a new error message, cannot install Mod Setting Blocks required. 

Should I pursue your suggestion of "write permission" or continue with trying to install the Mod Setting Blocks?

Just a note for reference, I am not a web developer. I just really liked the TNG web sites I had seen, so I bought TNG. I had Simply Hosting do my install and I am having challenges just getting my GEDCOM and media into TNG from Ancestry. 

Any guidance you can provide will be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jeff

Michel KIRSCH
6 hours ago, orlandsims said:

Mod Setting Blocks

You must follow the indications on the Robin's wiki page you indicate to install this "part" of the Mod.

read https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mod_Settings_Blocks  too

But before installing that, read below :

6 hours ago, orlandsims said:

there is a limit default of 1MB.

Jeff, you're right. There is a limitation, and i'm wrong. Sorry for  the wrong post above.

You can found this limitation in admin_generatethumbs.php file, line 24 :

$maxsizeallowed = 1000; //KB

If you r file is larger than1000 KB, the message you receive is xxx (original is too large) xxx.

So you understand that indicating the exact error message you receive is important...

Depending of your machine or your server capabilities, you can try with a value of 1500. It works for me. (and for actual PC/servers)

Maybe more. To be tested for your environment...Robin (the author of the Mod you indicate) indicates that 2500 KB works well for him.

Michel

orlandsims

Hi Michel,

Thanks for the information. When I do a search on the server, I do not find a file with the name admin_generatethumbs.php.

Is there any information on the Forum or the Wiki for a non-web developer to understand how to find a file and then how to modify the file once it is found? It seems like there are some basic understanding of web site development a person needs to know to navigate and be effective behind the scenes of TNG

Any advice you can offer up would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jeff

Michel KIRSCH

I verify... admin_generatethumbs.php is well the name.

This file is in the root directory of your TNG program.

Edit the file with a text editor : notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads ) is one of the best. (don't use notepad for windows)

Change the value as indicated and save. It's done...

If you're not sure, wait...

Michel

orlandsims

Hi Michel, 

Your instructions in the Wiki were fantastic. Thank you so much!! I don't think I stressed how much of a beginner I am. When you said look in the root directory, I assumed there would be a folder call root. :) I did find the file in public_html. When I did my search yesterday, it must not have looked in the folder. 

I have a Mac so I did the file association with BBEdit(the new TextWrangler.) Opened the file, went to row 24 and changed the value from 1000 to 2500. Uploaded the file, went back into TNG and clicked on Generate Thumbnails. It has been running for over an hour now. Do you have a rough guess on how long it might take for 900 media files that I loaded? Before the change, when most of the files errored out, it was done in less than five minutes. 

Thanks again..I am looking forward to being done with set up items and actually getting into TNG

Jeff