TNG Community
klooster

REUNION and TNG

Michel KIRSCH
2 hours ago, Appelmus said:

with more than 7000 entries

:-(

My little Mod will "automatize" the copy/paste action and allow to edit the note... Better than nothing...

The fact is that TNG, for the Custom Events only, do the job, because notes are well displayed instead the reference. But the  edition of such a note is not possible...

Now well...

Michel

Appelmus

Hello Michel,
I will try the mod on a test page!
Thanks for your work!

;-)

klooster

This Darrin's answer:

----------------------

The problem is that TNG doesn't recognize this notation: 

1 MIL @N22@ 

Instead it's looking for this: 

1 MIL 
2 NOTE @N22@ 

Anything that's on the same line as the tag goes into the "fact" or "detail" area. For example: 

1 OCCU Fireman 

That's why your @N22@ ended up where it did. I'll make a note to try and address this at some point in the future. 

Darrin 

Michel KIRSCH
On 1/14/2021 at 7:02 AM, klooster said:

1 MIL @N22@ 

Instead it's looking for this: 

1 MIL 
2 NOTE @N22@ 

It is easy to write a script that modify your gedcom before import...

Michel

klooster

Thanks for the reply Michel, but I do not have the knowledge to write such a script.

tngrlkrz

*deleted*

Update: Sorry,  my example won't work because I naively thought '22' was a constant, which, as Roger points out below, it would not be.

theKiwi
1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

If you are familiar with Notepad++,  you could do it without a script or macro.  In the gedcom,  with Find/Replace, with boxes ticked Extended (\n, \r...) , Match case:

image.png

There should be no space between 'MIL' and '\n'.  Do a test with a copy, and 'Ctl Z' will always 'undo' any changes.

For this to work though with minimal effort, it needs wildcard searches for both the MIL part and the Nxx part since these two parts will be different in different parts of the file.

I see that dialog does allow for regular expression searches - does it also allow for regular express results replacement? This setup

image.png

works in BBEdit on my Mac Pro to change the lines as needed. It grabs the string after the 1 (so OBT or MIL or _MIL for example) and the digits of the note's number (the digits in @Nxx@ and replaces them into the desired format - eg

1 MIL @N22@)

becomes

1 MIL
2 NOTE @N22@

Roger

Roger

tngrlkrz

Yea, Roger, I over simplified, forgetting that the @Nnn@ could vary the value of 'nn'.  Yes, Notepad++ does permit regular expression replacement as well, as you can see by the tick box, though I have not had need to use it much, so haven't checked that option.