TNG Community

REUNION and TNG

klooster

I am considering buying REUNION f13 or my iMac.

Has anyone experience with Reunion softwaare for the iMac?

Are there any problems with importing the GedCom export from Reunion 13 into TNG ???

I have used Reunion since the late 1980s...

All data entry for my site is done in Reunion and then moved to TNG by GEDCOM file. eg my great great grandfather's page here - everything except for the Place Levels is in the GEDCOM file produced by Reunion

http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I16&tree=Roger

The only other thing I do in TNG is the Cemeteries section - that work is all done in TNG not Reunion.

Roger

I've used Reunion for almost the same amount of time as Roger. It started with me using it to enter research that mum and dad were doing (they'd post info to me in London from New Zealand). When I moved back to NZ, they took over using it. When dad passed away a few years ago I took it back on board.

TNG is basically my way of giving access to family members of all the work that mum and dad did...I'm not doing much research myself.

The one thing I would suggest (and Roger has touched on it a bit) is just think about your folder structure in Reunion and make it match up with TNG. That saves you a lot of confusion. I actually ended up restructuring the folders quite a bit when I got everything from mum and dad...so you can see in the image attached, documents are in a separate folder, headstones is actually for headstones and cemeteries etc. The help-wanted folder is outside of the photos folder as I changed the "Most Wanted" section of TNG to "Help Wanted" and this is where I post images that I have absolutely no idea who they are of and am asking family members if they know. Although it sits in the Reunion folder, Reunion doesn't actually see those images...I only link to them from within TNG.

Cheers,

Phil

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 12.32.50 PM.png

Thank you all for the replies, I bought Reunion 13.

Question: do I need extra/special EVENT TYPES in TNG to import the Reunion GedCom into TNG ??

Congrats on the purchase...and great question. I confess it's been a loooooonnng time since I set up Reunion, so I don't even know how many extra/special event types I have or if Reunion created them for me.

I export my GEDCOM from Reunion with all optional fields selected. What I then do is tick the option "Accept data for all new Custom Event Types" as part of the GEDCOM import process into TNG. Then in TNG you can basically decide what you do want displayed and what is relevant by going to the "Custom Event Types" section and reviewing anything that has come from Reunion and into TNG. That's how I do it at least. It's like TNG saying "OK. I've got all this additional data, do you want me to display it to not?"

I found that the easiest approach. I found that quite easy once I got the hang of it. For example, I record people residence in Reunion, but mine is a private site that I don't want that info published online...so it's really easy using custom types just to determine that that info should remain hidden and not displayed.

Phil

Here you go...but as I say, I think this is a bit messy. Some of the custom fields I set up in Reunion, I set up in the mid-90's and I genuinely can't remember what they mean. Basically the first time I imported things into TNG and looked at an individual page, I just went "oh, I don't want that displayed"...and set the value to ignore on impact.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 9.38.12 PM.png

Cees - I have 103 Custom Events that are for importing my Reunion GEDCOM file to TNG. One of Reunion's great advantages is (close to) unlimited types of fields - eg 100 different notes fields, so they can remain separate whereas software like RootsMagic and Family Tree Maker allow only 1.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Many of these are to do with Sources, apart from those for Individuals and Families.

Roger

THANKS KIWI and PHILIP.

Import is working, BUT a strange phenomenon, when I import for instance a note like "Military:

The Military note is imported from Reunion into TNG and shows in the person, see print screen (Military-text-person-TNG)

When I edit the person in TNG, the Military note is visible under Other Events as @N22@, see print screen (Military-other-events-TNG)BUT when I want to edit the note in TNG, it does not show the text but only the @N22@,  TAG, see print screen (Modify-event-military-TNG)

?????????How to solve this?

Military-other-events-TNG.jpge

Military-text-person-TNG.jpg

Modify-event-military-TNG.jpg

38 minutes ago, klooster said:

When I edit the person in TNG, the Military note is visible under Other Events as @N22@, see print screen (Military-other-events-TNG)BUT when I want to edit the note in TNG, it does not show the text but only the @N22@,  TAG, see print screen (Modify-event-military-TNG)

I have never wanted to edit a note in TNG - I do all my editing in Reunion and then when there are changes either:

1 -  import an entire new GEDCOM file to TNG using the Replace All in TNG or

2 - occasionally if it's only 1 important change needs to be made I will export a GEDCOM file for just the person involved, and import that into TNG with Replace Matching Records.

To edit a note in TNG I guess you'd have to look in the Notes part of TNG Admin, and search for a note by searching for some of its text. TNG does store the NoteID in the tng_xnotes table, but doesn't list that column in TNG Admin ------> Notes.

Roger

1 hour ago, klooster said:

when I want to edit the note in TNG, it does not show the text but only the @N22@,  TAG, see print screen (Modify-event-military-TNG)

Maybe I'm wrong but is the note text not available by the Note icon (3rd from left) in the top image?

notes.gif

Erik

Michel KIRSCH
9 hours ago, XerxX said:

it does not show the text but only the @N22@

Cees,

if I good remember, this is what is in your gedcom.

The note field for Adriaan Kloostermans has a note with @N22@ as text.

@N22@ is a reference to the Note N22. And the content of N22 is well displayed on you getperson.php file.

If you want to edit the N22 note, you have to find it in your notes and edit it

This is of interest, because you can certainly attach a note by reference to multiple events/persons/families.

But I understand that it help you not...

Will do some tests...

Michel

Michel KIRSCH

Effectively, you can call a note by its reference, but only in the event's note, not as "pure" note...

How to edit it? Searching...

Michel KIRSCH

Can't retrieve the note in TNG.

The only solution seems to be to retrieve this note with the combination NoteID (=N22) + gedcom (=kloosterman) in the tng_xnotes table.

Is it an issue???
Did someone know something about this facility to display a note "by reference" in TNG?

Michel

Michel KIRSCH
27 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Effectively, you can call a note by its reference, but only in the event's note, not as "pure" note..

... And only in the Custom event types (CHR, ...), not Events handled by TNG (BIRT, OCCU,...)

Michel

Michel KIRSCH

Indeed Michel I Can't retrieve the note @22@ in TNG, so I cannot edit it.

PHPMyAdmin, table tng_xnotes, search for noteID = N22 (and gedcom = Kloosterman if you have more than one tree).

and edit the 'note' field, or copy/paste the text of the 'note' field into your own note...

I know, it's hard and heavy if you must do it for a lot of notes.

I think you must ask to Darrin...

A mod can do the job as secondary process too...

Michel KIRSCH

I have contacted Darrin.

Maybe a solution in one hour....

Michel

Michel KIRSCH
On 1/12/2021 at 11:20 AM, klooster said:

I have contacted Darrin.

Cees,

This mod will retrieve the original note "@N22" and paste it into your note field.

Delete the warning message in the note, modify the note if you want and save.

The original note @N22@ is preserved.

Your Custom Event will now have a editable note.

Each time you found so a note (@xxx@), the problem will be solved for this note.

Michel

edit_ref_note_v13.3.0.1.zip

Michel KIRSCH

If you prefer to edit the original "@N22@"note, say it.

But don't forget that each instance of the original note will be modified !

Michel

Michel KIRSCH

Forgot to post screen shots :

When editing an event note (here note N1 on CHR event) The modify Event box appear. The string @N1@ is replaced by "WARNING : Reference to @N1@ => ",

followed by the text of the note  @N1@

Note ref - Edit.JPG

After deleting the warning message and edit/save the note, the event shows :

Note ref - after edit and delete of message.JPG

Hello! 
I had the same problem importing the Reunion Gedcom into TNG. A year ago I wrote to Darrin Lythgoe. He replied
Quote:

"Thanks for your message. It looks like the program that originally created your gedcom file (which you then imported into TNG) used a cross-reference style note to handle the information. When TNG turned around to export the same information, it looks like it mistakenly exported the ID of that note instead of the note itself. I will look into this to see if it can be fixed. In the meantime, you could delete that event and re-add it in TNG. That would cause it to be created as a "regular" event and not as a note."
Quote end

I then copied the text from the note from TNG and pasted it in the appropriate place in the administration area of TNG and this with more than 7000 entries

:-(