TNG Community
Appelmus

hidden field, non-public notes

Appelmus

Hello!
Is there a hidden field in Tng 12 to write notes that can only be seen in the admin area?
Best regards

4lexsharpe

I need something similar, a field I can use but it displays on their individual record that can be used in the ;reports' section to query on. In the meantime I'm having to use a field I never use  

Rob Severijns

Gents,

There is no hidden field but you can mark notes as Private and hide them for specific users.

In the User settings you can allow a user to be able to view Private items or not.

There is a Mod by Michel Kirsch that allows you to highlight Private Notes (Confidential Notes Color)

I'm not aware of a mod that addresses Alex's question.

Kind regards,

Rob

Ken Roy

There are also a couple of other mods that I wrote:

• Display Private Notes  that display "Private Notes" in the Notes column label 
  • Secret Notes for Admin that restricts the display of Private notes (secret flag) to the TNG Administrator
  • Exclude Secret Notes  excludes secret notes when generating GEDCOM files for relatives with whom you do not want to share your secret or confidential note

4lexsharpe
3 hours ago, Rob Severijns said:

Gents,

There is no hidden field but you can mark notes as Private and hide them for specific users.

In the User settings you can allow a user to be able to view Private items or not.

There is a Mod by Michel Kirsch that allows you to highlight Private Notes (Confidential Notes Color)

I'm not aware of a mod that addresses Alex's question.

Kind regards,

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for your reply. It would be extremely useful if there was a 'free text' field on the individual table where an administrator can apply a value which could then be queried in a report. At the moment I can only see fields which display on the record.

Rob Severijns

Gents,

Notes can be marked as Private and afterwards be filtered via the Admin --> Notes.

image.png

image.png

I know it is not a report but it does give you the possibility to make them visible including a link to te individuals page.

So it could be a solution until someone writes a mod.

Rob

Appelmus

Hello!

Thank you very much for the useful tips.
I have seen that you can hide notes.
But I want to hide not only notes, but certain fields/events, e.g. the Biography field contains private information that I want to hide. Is it possible?screenshot_41.png

screenshot_42.png

Best regards

Rob Severijns

Appelmus,

The biografie can be marked as private too. A thumbnail will still show but it is no longer clickable if the user rights are correct.

Upload the .cfg file to the Mod directory via FTP.

Go to Admin --> Mod Manager and the mod should be there for installation. You might need to refresh the page once or twice.

Rob

Appelmus

Hello Rob,
thank you very much for the tip.
Where can I mark a field/event like biography as private?
Greetings

Rob Severijns

Hello Appelmus,

Go To Admin --> Media

Find the mediafile and choose edit.

image.png

Rob

Appelmus

Thank you, Rob, for your help. 
I probably expressed myself inaccurately: Biography is not a medium (image/document) but an event, a field in the form. I would like to disable such a field here and there, but not in general.screenshot_43.png

Appel ;-)

Rob Severijns

Appel,

In case of a Custom Event you can edit it in two places.

image.png

Via the Modify Event (Detail)

image.png

Or via Modify Note

image.png

In the last case you can set the Private Flag. That's What I do.

HTH,

Rob

Rob Severijns

Addition,

On the persons page it looks like this.

image.png

Rob

Appelmus

Thanks Rob, I will give this a try now.

Gruß

Appelmus

4lexsharpe

Thanks for all the replies and help. I have made a workaround, not ideal but it does work.

Create a custom event, call it QRY and give it a meaningful name. Only enter data in the fact field.  You can then run a report query on this 'Fact' value.

only downside is the event is displayed but not really a major issue, but nice if it could be hidden.