TNG Community
reesjel

Grant user rights to multiple branches [TNG V13]

reesjel

Is it possible to grant a user rights to multiple branches?

I'm currently researching my 4 grandparents and want to have 1 family tree on my website and separate each grandparent using branches. Some family members will belong to 2 grandparents and will need rights to view both branches. When I try to give a new user rights, I can only select 1 branch. Is there a way to grant a user rights to more than 1 branch?

Ken Roy

That is correct, you can only assign users to one branch.  You have to create a branch and assign it to more than one branch, for example your Maternal and Paternal line. Take a look at the Branch Assigned to Multiple Ancestors article in the TNG Administrator's Guide

Michel KIRSCH

If there are only two branches, allowing access to all branches will solve the problem

and encounter your needs...

Michel

reesjel

Thanks for all your answers and suggestions:

@Ron Roy > I will try your suggestion of creating multiple branches as a workaround.

@Michel KIRSCH > Unfortunately there will be 4 branches, and sometimes people will have rights to access two, sometimes just one, so I can't allow access to all branches.

reesjel

@Ron Roy > I just looked at the suggested workaround, but I can't see where I can add more starting Individuals.

I only have the option to add 1 Starting Individual. The only directions the in the guide is:

==

One Branch Assignment Circumvention

Users may only be assigned to a single Branch at most, but this restriction can be circumvented by creating a "dummy" Branch whose label is actually a substring of more than one other label. For example, a user assigned to the "smith" Branch would have rights to both the "blacksmith" and "smithson" Branches because both names contain the word "smith".

If you assigned Branch IDs as Bnnnn, the illustrated "dummy" branch will not work. However, you can use the "Branch Assigned to Multiple Ancestors" work-around below to overcome that restriction.

Branch Assigned to Multiple Ancestors

For instance, you can create a branch that represents both your parent's by assigning your Father and Mother as the starting individuals for that branch as shown below. (You may add as many starting individuals as you like)

Below is this image: 

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=File:Branches_assignto_both.jpg

==

It says what I can do, but it doesn't actually explain how I can add multiple starting individuals. When I try to add a starting individual I only have one option (see attachment). I tried separating by comma but that doesn't work. 

Or, if the first Branch Assignment Circumvention is an option, it doesn't explain how I can can create the substring label for a dummy branch or what a Bnnnn is. I don't see any option to create a substring label. 

Do you know if there's another guide where it's explained how I need to set this up? 

twobranches.jpg

twobranches-labels.jpg

Ken Roy

I created a branch that represents my Roy family and my wife's Boucher family that I named Roy-Boucher.

I then labeled all descendants and included spouses from my Roy grandfather then I labeled all descendants and included spouses from my wife's Boucher grandfather so that my children and grandchildren can see their cousins from both sides of the family. 

TNG only shows the last starting individual so in the Branch description I used   Roy-Boucher (I40 and I68)

Hope that helps