TNG Community
WimDirks

Multiple separated Family trees

WimDirks

What is the best practice for multiple trees?

In my view would different IP ports be a good solution. But is this possible?

But what alternatives are there?

Wim Dirks

Michel KIRSCH

Wim,

you can easily create trees in your TNG program.

Go to Admin>>Trees>> and create new.

Fill in the new tree manually or with a gedcom import

Michel

Ken Roy

While Michel is correct that you can create multiple family trees, you need to understand that TNG does not provide any linking between the trees

WimDirks

Thanks, but my question is really about accessing the trees. How do I give access to tree A seperately from tree B.

(I was hoping for different IP ports..) 

Ken Roy

TNG provides access to all trees in the same database.  However, it does not support merging people between trees or linking one person as a spouse to another person in a different tree.  You may need to elaborate a bit more as to what you are attempting to do.

WimDirks

Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

I have 2 different family trees. One for my wife and one for myself.

I would like to give the two separate families each access to their own (and only to their own) family tree.

I thought that one tree via IP port 80 and the other via (for example) port 81 would be a good idea.

Although this is not very secure, it is sufficient for my purpose.

Or are there other possibilities?

Wim

Ken Roy

Wim,

Sorry, I do not understand why you would need to separate the trees by IP address.  Note that TNG is licensed software and that if the multiple trees are not in the same domain name, then you need a license for each domain name. 

Also note that unless your site is restricted, that is requires login, all trees are available to visitors and logged in users.  Since my site is semi-open, that is only requires a login to view living relatives, I do not know whether it is possible

57 minutes ago, WimDirks said:

to give the two separate families each access to their own (and only to their own) family tree.

Maybe someone who is using multiple trees with restricted access can comment

Michel KIRSCH

Wim,

if you give access to your wife for her tree and access to you for your tree,

your problem is solved. But if you are Admin, you can't restrict your accesses : you've always access to all your trees.

restrict access.JPG

Why do you want to try with different ports?

As Ken, i don't understand what you want to do...

Michel

theKiwi
7 hours ago, WimDirks said:

Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

I have 2 different family trees. One for my wife and one for myself.

I would like to give the two separate families each access to their own (and only to their own) family tree.

I thought that one tree via IP port 80 and the other via (for example) port 81 would be a good idea.

Although this is not very secure, it is sufficient for my purpose.

Or are there other possibilities?

Wim

You won't be able to achieve this with different ports easily, but if you could, then really the end result would be the same as putting each tree on a different sub-domain - so you end up with 2 copies of the TNG software, installed twice, two different databases etc. Then you can have 2 different sets of users with different rights for each tree/sub-domain.

But like others, I'm curious why you want to separate your ancestors from your wife's ancestors - are you planning to allow different groups of people to have editing rights over the different data sets?

Roger

WimDirks

OK, thanks for all replies.

I'll be heading back to the drawing board. Maybe I should really install the 2nd tree (what I did not do sofar) and look again at the possibilities.

Wim

Michael T. Jones

Could this be solved with merging the two trees and defining separate branches and granting user access to each branch?

WimDirks

I don't know, sounds complicated.

I am just beginning with TNG, still a lot to learn.

Wim

Rob Roy

I have two distinct databases each with a different URL.  I have licensed both.  Simple solution for me.

WimDirks

Rob,

Running on one computer? If so, how? (Different ports?)

Wim

Rob Roy

They are both on my host site.  The table names on the second instance have "-roy" added to them.  The only downside is that if I copy someone's SQL Report, I have to edit the table names.  Part of the reason I did this is that one of the instances is for my Family Association, and is registered to them, and can be ported if necessary.