TNG Community
Jan_B

Merge same person from two ID's

Jan_B

Hello,

I'm new to TNG and I did last week my first gedcom import. Now I see that I have a certain person under two different ID's. Probably I didn't notice this using Alfaer.

Is it possible to merge these two ID's to one (new) ID in TNG?

Grtz. Jan

manofmull

I just delete the person I don't want to keep.

However, in Admin >> People >> Merge

Steve1200

While manofmull's instructions will work correctly, I thought I would offer something to consider before making changes. If you are only going to use TNG and nothing else, then don't bother reading the rest of this post.

On my site, I do not delete, merge or resequence anything in TNG since I maintain a RootsMagic offline database. I use RootsMagic since I travel a lot and often add people and make changes when I do not have internet access. When I get home I import the RM database. If the IDs in the two databases are not the same, future imports can corrupt existing links and data depending on import settings.

I thought I would mention this because I messed up a bunch of media links when I first started my TNG site. This took quite some time to fix so now I am careful to keep the databases synchronized..

Michel KIRSCH
1 hour ago, Steve1200 said:

I use RootsMagic since I travel a lot and often add people and make changes when I do not have internet access.

Hi Steve,

I'm in the same configuration as you and I use a local TNG off-line version to make changes.

When I come back to home, I synchronize my on-line version of TNG.  I just make a backup of tables of the off-line version, transfer the .bak files by ftp to the on-line site and do a restore of the tables on the on-line version. Very simple and secure : no more problems of gedcom and lost of data.

If I insert some medias in my off-line version, I don't forget to transfer them by ftp too.

Michel

Jan_B

Hello Steve and Michel,

These are also good workarounds. I also have an offline version of TNG running in Xammp so I could use Michels workaround but I also considered to do a GEDCOM export from TNG and make a new tree in my offlinetool Aldfaer and interchange these two. Thnkz for all the solutions. I will do some testing and find out what is de best workaround for me.

Jan

Steve1200

Running a local version of TNG would be great except I don't want to carry two PCs. My employer doesn't let us install non-work related software on our laptops. So I have RM installed on a password protected WD USB drive. If I add media I have to do that manually so your method is better except I have no idea how to use TNG on a USB drive when there is no software to run php or an SQL database.

Michel KIRSCH

Steve,

you can try to use Laragon, which works on a USB drive. It is very simple to use.

See https://laragon.org/

tngrlkrz
4 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Steve,

you can try to use Laragon, which works on a USB drive. It is very simple to use.

See https://laragon.org/

Heartily agree with Michel's recommendation.  Thanks to Michel, I switched from WampServer to Laragon back in May, 2020 and never looked back.  it is very portable, can move easily from drive to drive.  Doesn't imbed itself in the OS or registry like other software.

Steve1200

Thanks everyone, I will give this a try.