TNG Community

Website Security

Ed R

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a new TNG v13.02 website. Previously my two other TNG websites were knocked were knocked off-line and damaged. As far as I know, MYSQL data was not compromised.

In the process of setting up my new website, there were problems with functionality in TNG V13.02. Eventually, I found out that my hosting provider had “Cloudflare” security set up on the website. Once my provider turned off “Cloudflare” TNG functioned properly. My hosting provider said the “Cloudflare” function is controlled by the host admin and is not a feature that I can turn on/off, .

I am curious what other TNG users do for website security, seeing that “Cloudflare” and TNG are not compatible. After doing all the work of setting up another my third site I would hate to lose it to hackers again.

Thank you

Ed Reeners

Ed,

I am quite sure there are TNG users running on a Cloudflare site.  you may need to search for Cloudflare in this forum

Sorry Michael,

I disagree.  You can have an open (or semi-open site where Login is only required to view close living relatives) and the site can still be secured,   There are several articles in the Security category on the TNG Wiki. 

I don’t quite understand the issue and comments re Cloudflare Ed? You say “there were problems with functionality in TNG V13.02” but you don’t say what those problems were?

I run a site hosted on Siteground and Cloudflare is enabled and I have no intention of turning it off because of the value it provides. If I ever do want to turn it off, I can login to my control panel and disable it.

The *only* time it ever causes issues is when I make a change (such as a design change) and expect it to show up immediately....caching may stop it showing up. You can flush the cloudflare cache, but I find this doesn’t work that well with TNG. With other software, like Joomla (that I use) I never have to go near Cloudflare.

My solution is to work on a local copy of the TNG site on my Mac as I try out changes. Then I just do the same to my hosted version.

That said, my private TNG site is entirely based on a GEDCOM import and I’m not working on the live site, entering new people etc.

Cheers, Phil

My original  problem was several setup pages did not responding to input with the worst one being the GED import page. I could not select my GED file, and none of the checkboxes, radio buttons and buttons responded to input. After two previous install and still having a problem, I contacted Darrin for help. Once Cloudflare was disabled the TNG setup pages worked fine .My site host recommended that I NOT run my site without the Cloudflare. I am nor familiar with Cloudflare, so I wondered what other TNG did for security. Until I am done with setting up my site, I guess I will leave Cloudflare off.

Thank you.

Ed Reeners