TNG Community
helgoy

New ID Numbers Not Being Generated

helgoy

I am in the process of adding new people to my TNG site, but have been having problems with adding new people as it will not generate a new ID number past 2. I have manually added new ID numbers with success, but from my understanding the program should automatically  generate a new number. It is stuck on #2. So, I`ve deleted #1 and started over, but #2 keeps coming up, with no option for #1. Wondering if anyone may know why it will not generate a new ID #. Would be greatly appreciated. I am running TNG 13.0.2. http://vignesroots.com

Thanks

Helgoy

Roots.jpg

manofmull

There's a problem with your prefix letter. It should be I (eye) or P

Some people on your site have no prefix letter at all (as in image above).

In Admin >> Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Prefixes and Suffixes

Recommend you use P and start over again.

EDIT

You cannot have a mix of IDs, some with and some without a prefix letter. ID I1 is already in use.

http://vignesroots.com/getperson.php?personID=I1&tree=vignes

All ID number prefixes must exist and must be the same letter.

Michel KIRSCH

Be careful with the "P" prefix, because I see many place in the TNG code where the "I" is hard-coded.

I recommand to use the I (eye) as prefix.

Michel

manofmull

Michel

Surely this shouldn't be a problem when in Admin you can choose either letter.

For years TNG was I (eye) only, but lately, common sense has prevailed.

I got sick of members mistaking the I (eye) for a 1 (one) e.g. together I1 with some fonts, very confusing.

I'm using P and wouldn't dream of going back to I

Thank goodness for this mod https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Change_ID_prefix

helgoy

Thank-you very much manofmull and Michel. I went into my  Admin >> Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Prefixes and Suffixes and fixed the problem easily. I kept the I(eye) prefix since that was the original prefix with my program and also have the F prefix for Families working as well. Just have to re-enter and delete some people. Greatly appreciated.

Helgoy

tngrlkrz
12 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Be careful with the "P" prefix, because I see many place in the TNG code where the "I" is hard-coded.

I recommand to use the I (eye) as prefix.

Michel

Hi Michel,

I have been happily using "P" instead of "I" for a several years now and have not run into an incidence of a hard-coded prefix issue.  However, perhaps it is because I do no TNG editing since all data is imported.  Readibility is so much improved.

Michel KIRSCH
7 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

I have been happily using "P" instead of "I" for a s

Hi Ron,

I searched all the code where the "I" string was used (230 places), and you're right, it is used for internal use and have no incidence on your prefix choice.

it was worth checking it out by taking the time to check. All's well that ends well !

Michel

tngrlkrz
4 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Hi Ron,

I searched all the code where the "I" string was used (230 places), and you're right, it is used for internal use and have no incidence on your prefix choice.

it was worth checking it out by taking the time to check. All's well that ends well !

Michel

I found 148, in a simple search, but they were either  $personID, "I" ), or type = "I", which I believe stands for "Individual" vs "F" for Family, not a prefix character.  Is that what you are mean by 'internal', which would be harmless to prefix? So we are in agreement then.😊

manofmull
13 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

we are in agreement then.

Ron

Sounds like it. Per my own answer to Michel above, logic dictated there should be no problems.

Otherwise why give a choice of either letter in Admin?

I'm eternally grateful to Chris Moss for his mod

Ken Roy
27 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Per my own answer to Michel above, logic dictated there should be no problems.

Michael,

I believe that changing prefix requires that all mod developers also use the TNG prefix variables set in the Admin > General Settings > Prefixes and Suffixes section for finding and setting the correct IDs in their database tables. 

The mod you referenced is not the correct one.  I think the mod required is Change ID prefix  If you import a GEDCOM that uses the traditional I for Individuals you may also need to take other actions.

manofmull

Ken

Yes, I quoted the wrong mod in error (now corrected in post above)

After upgrading TNG, I noticed that the mod was no longer required to keep the P change I had made, so I haven't re-installed it.

I don't import gedcoms, all data is done manually as I can type at 60wpm.