TNG Community

New ID Numbers Not Being Generated

helgoy

I am in the process of adding new people to my TNG site, but have been having problems with adding new people as it will not generate a new ID number past 2. I have manually added new ID numbers with success, but from my understanding the program should automatically  generate a new number. It is stuck on #2. So, I`ve deleted #1 and started over, but #2 keeps coming up, with no option for #1. Wondering if anyone may know why it will not generate a new ID #. Would be greatly appreciated. I am running TNG 13.0.2. http://vignesroots.com

Thanks

Helgoy

Roots.jpg

Michel KIRSCH

Be careful with the "P" prefix, because I see many place in the TNG code where the "I" is hard-coded.

I recommand to use the I (eye) as prefix.

Michel

Thank-you very much manofmull and Michel. I went into my  Admin >> Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Prefixes and Suffixes and fixed the problem easily. I kept the I(eye) prefix since that was the original prefix with my program and also have the F prefix for Families working as well. Just have to re-enter and delete some people. Greatly appreciated.

Helgoy

12 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Be careful with the "P" prefix, because I see many place in the TNG code where the "I" is hard-coded.

I recommand to use the I (eye) as prefix.

Michel

Hi Michel,

I have been happily using "P" instead of "I" for a several years now and have not run into an incidence of a hard-coded prefix issue.  However, perhaps it is because I do no TNG editing since all data is imported.  Readibility is so much improved.

Michel KIRSCH
7 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

I have been happily using "P" instead of "I" for a s

Hi Ron,

I searched all the code where the "I" string was used (230 places), and you're right, it is used for internal use and have no incidence on your prefix choice.

it was worth checking it out by taking the time to check. All's well that ends well !

Michel

4 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Hi Ron,

I searched all the code where the "I" string was used (230 places), and you're right, it is used for internal use and have no incidence on your prefix choice.

it was worth checking it out by taking the time to check. All's well that ends well !

Michel

I found 148, in a simple search, but they were either  $personID, "I" ), or type = "I", which I believe stands for "Individual" vs "F" for Family, not a prefix character.  Is that what you are mean by 'internal', which would be harmless to prefix? So we are in agreement then.😊

27 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Per my own answer to Michel above, logic dictated there should be no problems.

Michael,

I believe that changing prefix requires that all mod developers also use the TNG prefix variables set in the Admin > General Settings > Prefixes and Suffixes section for finding and setting the correct IDs in their database tables. 

The mod you referenced is not the correct one.  I think the mod required is Change ID prefix  If you import a GEDCOM that uses the traditional I for Individuals you may also need to take other actions.