TNG Community
julianb

TNG won't display all my ancestors

julianb

I'm checking what my site looks like to Joe Public, by looking at it through a different browser where I am not logged in.  (It's a reminder of how much work I still need to do!).

I have come across a problem that I canot resolve.  When I  search (in Joe Public mode) for all anscestors on some of my people, not all of them are shown. 

I've checked that the missing ancestors aren't ticked "living" and that the right people are shown in the family datasets.  The problem is only with a small number of ancestors, but it's always the same lot.

Grateful for any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

JULIAN

Ken Roy

Without a URL to your site, it is difficult to know whether this is simply a result of your other post on marriage information

julianb

This is for people where marriages/linked children are in place.

Having spent 15 minutes trying to find a way of incorporating my TNG site information in my signature, I gave up!  It is http://www.baker-carterfamilyhistory.net/tng/index.php

If you're being kind enough to look, if you use Frank Baker, person ID I4, and Ancestors/Fan Chart, Generations 7 or 8, the bottom right families (light yellow) stop short at 4 x Great Grandparents, when there should be more.  The rest of the Fan Chart is good

JULIAN

manofmull

Family ID     F8647      Group Sheet  |  Family Chart
Family ID     F480      Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

Here's your problem. You have two family F ID numbers for the parents of Thomas Brice.

Needless to say, but it's the same with his wife

Family ID     F8646      Group Sheet  |  Family Chart
Family ID     F414      Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

You need to do a bit of editing to sort. Once linked properly, everything should look ok.

julianb

Thanks very much for your time and advice.  I must admit I was surprised the F numbers (8646/7) were so high, as I thought I'd joined up all my "direct line" early on.  Think I might need to check through my F list for more duplicates  (not sure why I didn't spot an existing family when I made the "second" family

Michel KIRSCH
2 hours ago, julianb said:

Having spent 15 minutes trying to find a way of incorporating my TNG site information in my signature, I gave up!

Julian,

click on your name, above right of this page and see this image.

Michel

signature.JPG

julianb
4 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Julian,

click on your name, above right of this page and see this image.

Michel

signature.JPG

Roger wilco.  All done. Thanks. (Need to think of a better title for my site!)

RickM
1 hour ago, julianb said:

Thanks very much for your time and advice.  I must admit I was surprised the F numbers (8646/7) were so high, as I thought I'd joined up all my "direct line" early on.  Think I might need to check through my F list for more duplicates  (not sure why I didn't spot an existing family when I made the "second" family

I am sure there is a way to list duplicate F IDs as well as I IDs.. I just cannot think where I saw it..

A really smart person will know the answer and hopefully get it to you quickly..

I will try to remember 🤣

Michel KIRSCH

F ID's are unique (in the same tree) and they can be duplicated in the tng_families table

But you may have two different F ID with the same couple husband/wife which indicate a duplication (not always, but 99%) of a family

You can try this SQL

SELECT husband, count(husband) as totalH, wife, count(wife) as totalW FROM `tng_families` where gedcom = 'XXXXX' GROUP BY husband,wife order by totalH desc

where 'XXXX' is the tree (gedcom) ID. You can copy/paste this SQL in a new report, directly in the last text box ( OR Leave Display, Cr ....)
The double couple will be the first in the list with 2 (more?) occurences.

Michel

julianb

1 hour ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

F ID's are unique (in the same tree) and they can be duplicated in the tng_families table

But you may have two different F ID with the same couple husband/wife which indicate a duplication (not always, but 99%) of a family

You can try this SQL

SELECT husband, count(husband) as totalH, wife, count(wife) as totalW FROM `tng_families` where gedcom = 'XXXXX' GROUP BY husband,wife order by totalH desc

where 'XXXX' is the tree (gedcom) ID. You can copy/paste this SQL in a new report, directly in the last text box ( OR Leave Display, Cr ....)
The double couple will be the first in the list with 2 (more?) occurences.

Michel

Thanks - that was exciting, as I actually managed to save and run that report!  And it did identify a few double entries.  What it also did was identified those women with multiple illegitimate children recorded as being as a result of diffrent relationships!

I have cleared some duplicates, but this has led to even less showing on the fan diagram - I think because I have a large number of orphaned family lists without parents (which i guess links to my other post today about the gedcom load and missing marriages).  A learning day and thanks to you and others who have guided me through my mind explosion!

JULIAN